·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating on what to do. It seems the options are:

- Full Akra or Termi
- Termi Slip ons
- Core out your oem cans

- If sound is what you're after, it seems any of the above would work. Coring out our OEM cans produces one mean sound.

- If bling is what you're after it seems a full Akra is where its at.

- If performance is what you're after, then a full setup will work.

But in all honesty, is $3500 worth the minimal gains of a full exhaust setup? Some claim that the Termi/Akra setup aren't much louder than stock. Some claim even quieter. It seems Ducati is going to start using Akra for their exhausts, so its a no brainer to go with them from now on, mainly for the research and development that will come in the future.

Just curious what some of you guys are doing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd lean towards exploring the coring options first..then maybe move on to the Termis or Akra. Read about the coring in the 1199 forums..seems like a doable option and cool sound factor too. Hp shows a slight increase from the dyno findings after coring the stockies (baffle removal, etc).

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've already ordered an Akrapovic full system. Hopefully arrives next month. Once installed i will post up a video of the sound and hopefully under load through the twisties.

Reasons i went with the Akrapovic;

- Power to weight ratio gains (BHP gain, weight loss)
- Sound (not as loud as Termis and has a unique note)
- Quality (can't beat akra, had one on my R6 and loved it)
- It's part of my weight shaving plan for the 899
- Will be taking it to the track alot

So for me the price is fine providing you get a good deal on one ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Termignoni together with The dedicated map will most likely improve bottom and middle end and that is where this bike dips stock. Also, only Termignoni lets you change the inserts. In Sweden (at least) the DB restrictions on the tracks are tuff so without being able to change the inserts they will never let you have some fun there. Those are the reasons why I went with Termignoni.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd lean towards exploring the coring options first..then maybe move on to the Termis or Akra. Read about the coring in the 1199 forums..seems like a doable option and cool sound factor too. Hp shows a slight increase from the dyno findings after coring the stockies (baffle removal, etc).
i saw the process of coring the exhaust on 1199 forums and it looked like a pain in the dick. i guess if you got a welder laying around and are handy with it, more power to ya but didnt look like an easy job. as someone said on there "i think the $2k termi just look a tad cheaper after reading this thread".

·
Registered
138 Posts
I got the slip on Termis free as part of the deal here in UK, cant say for sure if there was much of a power difference as im still running it in but it seem to rev much more freely with them on but the sound over the stock cans is amazing and quite a bit louder too :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Termignoni together with The dedicated map will most likely improve bottom and middle end and that is where this bike dips stock. Also, only Termignoni lets you change the inserts. In Sweden (at least) the DB restrictions on the tracks are tuff so without being able to change the inserts they will never let you have some fun there. Those are the reasons why I went with Termignoni.
Akrapovic has removeable baffles and it's biggest gain is where it dips on the stock map, seems to be the valve that causes that rather than the mapping. I've chosen the Akra for the weight loss, previous experience and the looks and quality far exceed the Termis IMO.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Akrapovic has removeable baffles and it's biggest gain is where it dips on the stock map, seems to be the valve that causes that rather than the mapping. I've chosen the Akra for the weight loss, previous experience and the looks and quality far exceed the Termis IMO.
Intresring, when I saw them on another bike it looked like they were not removable. From what I've heard Akra gains more top end rather than low and mid. A friend of mine, also member here, has the Akra so it's gonna be interesting to feel the diference side by side.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Intresring, when I saw them on another bike it looked like they were not removable. From what I've heard Akra gains more top end rather than low and mid. A friend of mine, also member here, has the Akra so it's gonna be interesting to feel the diference side by side.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
The baffles are indeed removable. Just a small screw to install or removed them. As of the HP gains you just need to look at the dyno from Akra website. The Akra provides power all throughout the powerband. Most noticeable are the gains in the mid range (3000-7000rpm) and high. It's not like other full systems that only give top end. The Full Akra actually gives you performance everywhere except the low end which is same as stock.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ I kind of wish it added a bit of power on the low end. The 899 sure loves to be over 7K RPM.

I have installed a bunch of full exhaust systems in the past. 1098, 748 etc. But the 1199/899 sure does seem like a long pain in the butt for an install. If I were to pick up a full system it would sure be an Akra.

Oni did you get the silver with carbon tips for your white 899? Not many pictures out there of a full akra on an 899.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Termi is awesome

Termi comes with an air filter and more... Also just got them today and they had an upgraded map out too.. They sound awesome deff feel diff with bike all around.

·
Registered
336 Posts
^^^ I kind of wish it added a bit of power on the low end. The 899 sure loves to be over 7K RPM.

Oni did you get the silver with carbon tips for your white 899? Not many pictures out there of a full akra on an 899.
The only place the Akra doesn't add power is below 3000rpm which you cant use anyway on the bike. I would like to see a dyno graph of the Termi to find where and how much power over stock the slip-on is giving in the low - mid range.

I got the evolution system. It's a titanium can with carbon ends and carbon heat guards.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The guy Doostur intends to go to is the guy im referring about from the 1199 forums regarding the coring of the stockies.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Any guys on here install the Termi slip on's themselves?
I won't risk it. My 848 was easy....just 2 springs and a couple of nuts to release clips....then slip off (obviously!)
It looks like the belly pans might need taking off and there are a couple of linking pipes that need changing and not forgetting the Umap unlock which certainly need a dealer to do. If you buy off dealer they should fit FOC as a matter of customer service.
I got mine off ebay so dealer will charge me 2 hours labour. As was cheaper than buying here in HK (and not available yet) the extra cost makes no odds.

·
Registered
436 Posts
So many "what exhaust, colour, etc etc" threads, I wish the mods would combine them all.
Maybe even add more selective subheadings for the most popular threads?

Exhausts
Carbon
Paint care
Rearsets
New bike pics gallery

Nevertheless....good work so far but administrators!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts