Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I took a look at these and the seem to have a lot going on outside the ear. Do you find that they interfere with put on or taking off your helmet?
I wear a very similar style. I love 'em. I used to put the cord around the back of my neck..but it's very long, so I shorted it by knotting it a couple times...but then I just ended up taking the string out.

the benefit of these plastic plugs is that they aren't sponges...rinse em under hot water and they're clean as a whistle in seconds. When they are clean and dry, and if your ear canal is super clean and dry, it does become difficult to push them. Putting a lil water on them helps...

They don't interfere with putting on or taking off the helmet. and for me, honestly, I can't ride without them. I realize immediately if I've forgotten to put them on as soon as I start the bike.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just use the foam ones. Not all of them are created equal. You have to buy the ones that have an ergonomic taper to them; not the straight walled cylinder style. Also, get them wet. Do not underestimate how important that is, it makes all the difference.

Squish them down, but do not twist. Optimally, run them under a hot tap, insert and hold for a few seconds. The difference is night and day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently got two sets custom made, one set are a stereo speaker type to plug into crew radio, I use at work in a engine room on a ship for 12 hours a day can also plug into iphone for music, other set are the same just blanks for work or riding, both sets cost me $290 Aus. These are a class 5 hearing protection same as the best earmuffs you can buy. Much more comfortable than earmuffs and not as hot and sweaty. You can wear the blanks with a helmet on no worries at all. Took about half a hour to make right in front of me.
Check out Welcome to Earmold Australia® | Hearing and Occupational Health Products.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I bought some Dubs to see if they would work better than my pair of Etymotic Research plugs. Nope. They cost twice as much and let in twice as much wind noise. The Ety plugs block all the high pitch whine but let you carry on an intelligible conversation without having to remove them.

I would still like to get some active ear plugs, but would rather be riding than sitting in a audiologist's office and the 32dB noise reduction is still significantly protecting my hearing.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
When the ice thawed and I started riding again this year I found my ears far more sensitive to noise than last fall and my ears were ringing after each ride for quite a while. Also found that the Arai helmet I have is acting like a big echo chamber for the exhaust noise. So I started wearing foam ear plugs and have an appt for next week to get custom plugs made. It's a bit of a shame because I like the sound without the plugs but it's just too loud for my ears.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’ve tried a few different options and I’ve found the silicone plugs with ceramic filter to be the best. I started with NoNoise earplugs and they worked well. After a year or two my right ear started to feel like it wasn’t sealing well so I bought another set of plugs from PinLock. Still running the pinlock plugs... but my issue in my right ear continued. I’m guessing it’s just a deformity in my head or something (lol). My ultimate fix is a foam plug in the right ear and the silicone/ceramic in the left. If not for my issue I’d run ceramic in both. The best thing about them is you still get a decent exhaust sound, minimal wind noise, and you can still hear your communication units.

Forgive me if there is already a thread on this. I did search but found nothing specific.

After my first 500km on the 899 I definitely need to find some good earplugs to save my ears. She's a beautiful bike with a fantastic sound but my job depends on my hearing being pretty good. I have to find something better than my squashy foam ones. My ears are ringing after a 1h ride this afternoon.

What are the best earplugs?

Thanks

21 - 32 of 32 Posts