Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am looking to come to the US in March to do a bit of touring while I am there I want to purchase an 899 to bring back to New Zealand as the US seems to be the least expensive place to purchase an 899.

I am yet to finalise a route but I am looking options.

The most convenient thing for me would be to purchase a bike from one of the California dealers and after I have done some touring return it to them and get them to crate it back up for me as the best freight forwarder for me to ship it home from is in Long Beach.

Can anyone tell me if the mapping on the California bikes is the same as bikes purchased in other states? I am not sure if clean air laws in California dictate different ECU mapping?

I understand that the US dealers normally quote a price for the bike and then their are further OTD charges including state taxes.

Are the state taxes similar in all states of America?
Other than taxes what other OTD charges can I expect?
Do most of the dealers charge the same OTD costs.

Really looking forward to the trip.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
As someone who lives in CA and NYC I can tell you that those two areas are some of the highest taxes in the coutlntry. If I were you I would buy it in NJ, ride the country and up in CA.

All bikes are the same, even Cali bikes.

Nz will let you import the bike?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As someone who lives in CA and NYC I can tell you that those two areas are some of the highest taxes in the coutlntry. If I were you I would buy it in NJ, ride the country and up in CA.

All bikes are the same, even Cali bikes.

Nz will let you import the bike?
Many thanks for that great info and suggestion.

No problem importing to NZ. Just have to pay GST ( goods and service tax) on the cost of the bike and freight.

Still works out cheaper.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Many thanks for that great info and suggestion.

No problem importing to NZ. Just have to pay GST ( goods and service tax) on the cost of the bike and freight.

Still works out cheaper.
Oh, I forgot to answer the OTD question.

I paid $15,299 + CA tax and registration. Although I did that in NYC :) Don't ask.

I was able to negotiate the set up and crate fees off. I think many are paying those though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can you not buy the bike in Australia or import it from Australia? It seems like it would cost an arm and a leg to ship the 899 Panigale from the USA to New Zealand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you not buy the bike in Australia or import it from Australia? It seems like it would cost an arm and a leg to ship the 899 Panigale from the USA to New Zealand.
You can buy them in New Zealand from local dealers but they ship into N.Z. via the Australian Distributor (so you effectively pay the international shipping twice and there is a big price premium in N.Z. They are several thousands of dollars cheaper to purchase them over seas It is surprisingly cheap to import them from the States. ($1350 NZ dollars). If you import something really expensive like a Pikes Peak MultiStrada you can save about $8000 NZ dollars on the purchase price.

The price in NZ for an 899 is about $25,000 NZ OTD. (Plus an annual government registration fee of $650). The 1000 km service is about $200NZ and none of the dealers are offering free Termignonis.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Converting the above to USD

You can buy them in New Zealand from local dealers but they ship into N.Z. via the Australian Distributor (so you effectively pay the international shipping twice and there is a big price premium in N.Z. They are several thousands of dollars cheaper to purchase them over seas It is surprisingly cheap to import them from the States. ($1,115 USD). The import cost includes getting the VIN (that is required to be allowed to ride an imported bike on the road in N.Z.

The price in NZ for an 899 is about $20,650 USD OTD. (Plus an annual government registration fee of $540 USD). The 1000 km service is about $165 USD and none of the dealers are offering free Termignonis.

The 899 seems to be selling in the US for about $15,000 USD (not including local tax) and from what I read on the forums this price also includes the Termignoni pipes?

So the cost if I import it without riding it in the US would be $15000 plust 1,115 = $16,115 USD or a saving of $4535 USD.

So current plan is come to the US purchase the bike but don't register it in the US (so I don't pay local tax) and rent another bike for a couple of weeks of touring and ship the 899 home.

The only issue will be warranty. Depending on which local dealer you speak with recall service items are free worldwide but the Australian distributor (who also supplies NZ) will only provide warranty parts and pay for warranty service on bikes they have supplied.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Converting the above to USD

You can buy them in New Zealand from local dealers but they ship into N.Z. via the Australian Distributor (so you effectively pay the international shipping twice and there is a big price premium in N.Z. They are several thousands of dollars cheaper to purchase them over seas It is surprisingly cheap to import them from the States. ($1,115 USD). The import cost includes getting the VIN (that is required to be allowed to ride an imported bike on the road in N.Z.

The price in NZ for an 899 is about $20,650 USD OTD. (Plus an annual government registration fee of $540 USD). The 1000 km service is about $165 USD and none of the dealers are offering free Termignonis.

The 899 seems to be selling in the US for about $15,000 USD (not including local tax) and from what I read on the forums this price also includes the Termignoni pipes?

So the cost if I import it without riding it in the US would be $15000 plust 1,115 = $16,115 USD or a saving of $4535 USD.

So current plan is come to the US purchase the bike but don't register it in the US (so I don't pay local tax) and rent another bike for a couple of weeks of touring and ship the 899 home.

The only issue will be warranty. Depending on which local dealer you speak with recall service items are free worldwide but the Australian distributor (who also supplies NZ) will only provide warranty parts and pay for warranty service on bikes they have supplied.
I think the free termis are a uk deal only and the deal runs out at the end of the year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Most definitely a UK thing. I want them!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't think the new 899 comes with a termi when u buy it, at least I didn't get it when I bought it. I live in San Diego Ca, and I purchased mine from a dealership called GP Motorcycles. They sell it for what the msrp goes for plus all that tax, fees, setup and whatever other stuff they tack on. It's a 2-300 dollar difference between the red and white. I'm happy with mine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts