Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quick update on my previous post: I ended up getting a pair of footpegs from M-Factory, on eBay ($40, shipped from California). They seem to be good quality and the level of grip is excellent, night and day compared to stock. While they are available in multiple colors, I went for all-silver and they look very good without being too flashy. Fitment is also perfect, the only thing I modified a bit was the stock spring, where I bent the wire on the peg side as the it was sticking out a bit too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh, I'd add one thing to the list - actually three things. 1) get rid of that EVAP canister, or you'll probably experience hot-starting issue, 2) the exhaust flapper motor cable will seize at some point (does anybody still running it? Mine seized and took the plastic pulley with it), so might as well get rid of that, and 3) replace the slippery foot pegs, those are atrocious, especially in the rain.

Ya know, I've read this from a lot of Panigale owners (the foot pegs), but to be honest, I haven't had any issues with the pegs at all. I bought my 899 used, but I'm pretty confident my pegs are OEM. I wonder if I don't feel the issue most do with the foot pegs because I always wear my Alpinestar boots when I ride. They've got good grip, so it's never been an issue for me. Mind you, I have added almost 3k miles to the bike since I purchased it this past February.

J.B. I would, however, get aftermarket pegs for aesthetics. I've seen some really nice ones. Are they pretty simple to install?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here's my .02 -

My bike is a "race only" machine and it's been such since new in 2014. It was one of the earliest 899's in the country and was converted to race use from, literally, the first moment I owned it.

Racing is the hardest thing on any motorcycle (other than flat out abuse), but despite that and going into my 6th season racing it my bike has been nearly flawless.

Some of the early conversion choices eliminated some of the common issues above. - Charcoal canister was deleted as a part of the race conversion, so hot start has never been a problem and we deleted the ABS function as part of the race conversion and just used standard lines from master cylinders to calipers, so soft brakes was also eliminated.

The one problem I've had (user error) is that I binged a wheel speed sensor during a tire change once, and that caused havoc with the traction control. It took me a bit to find it and once I did we discovered that the sensor was sporadically telling the bike that the front wheel was going 2000 miles per hour.

Something to get used to is that this is a digital motorcycle - it requires sensors and things like that for it to work. The throttle is throttle by wire, there isn't a throttle cable. All that said, it still feels and rides like a motorcycle, they have the "feeling" of the electronics right and the bike doesn't feel like a video game.

I'd buy another one without hesitation, it's the best motorcycle I've ever owned.
What class does the 899 race in?

As for the earlier idle issue, I let my bike warm up on the kickstand and it never shuts off. Maybe I just got lucky?

41 - 43 of 43 Posts