Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
When you say idle, do you mean engine running idle or just ignition on ? Either way I don’t think it’s normal to have the bike shut off. As for the seat, I finally went to the dealer and got the DP comfort seat. Love it! Huge difference in seat grip + small/moderate difference in overall cushiness.

Okay, so there is something that has been explained to me that seems to be a general and common issue. The dash seems to get confused when the gear is in Neutral (N), it will remain at 1st gear. Some have said they can get it back to N by turning the bike off, then on again. Others say they just move their bike back and forth at a stop. For me, it just seems to randomly show the correct gear when it wants to.

Now, my point is that I have noticed something and re-tested my theory and found it to be factual. Ducati's will shut off when the kickstand is down and the gear is on anything but N. To test this, have the bike parked and motor off, but only the dash on. Then, switch the gear to anything but N. Now, when you press the start button you'll notice it won't start. Now, if you did all of this, but had the gear on N, then the bike will start when you press the push start button.

What this says is that when I am warming up the bike, and it randomly shuts off, that's because the computer thinks I've just switched the gear to 1. I was going crazy trying to figure this out, but noticed the dash kept changing the gear from 1 to N, and back and forth. All of this while the motor was shut off. So, not a big deal, but definitely something to note so you don't get scared when this happens.

Got the DP comfort seat from a member off this site too, and it's amazing! My ass and family jewels feel comfy on my commute to work (50mi one way).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Okay, so there is something that has been explained to me that seems to be a general and common issue. The dash seems to get confused when the gear is in Neutral (N), it will remain at 1st gear. Some have said they can get it back to N by turning the bike off, then on again. Others say they just move their bike back and forth at a stop. For me, it just seems to randomly show the correct gear when it wants to.

Now, my point is that I have noticed something and re-tested my theory and found it to be factual. Ducati's will shut off when the kickstand is down and the gear is on anything but N. To test this, have the bike parked and motor off, but only the dash on. Then, switch the gear to anything but N. Now, when you press the start button you'll notice it won't start. Now, if you did all of this, but had the gear on N, then the bike will start when you press the push start button.

What this says is that when I am warming up the bike, and it randomly shuts off, that's because the computer thinks I've just switched the gear to 1. I was going crazy trying to figure this out, but noticed the dash kept changing the gear from 1 to N, and back and forth. All of this while the motor was shut off. So, not a big deal, but definitely something to note so you don't get scared when this happens
It’s probably the gear position sensor going bad. I had the same issue, replaced the gear position sensor and all fixed. Pretty common issue with the current generation of Ducatis.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Zero issues with mine (2014), I bought it a year and a half ago with 6,000 KM on the clock, it was a dedicated track bike. I was expecting a lot of issues because it had been raced since day one, luckily, I didn't have any problems so far.

I do agree with one of the posters, the clutch is really hard; I'm going to look into the Oberon clutch cylinder myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you

So I finally test rode the 899 on Saturday and I loved it sooo much that I bought one the next day.:tango_face_smile_bi

I managed to find a White one, 2015 with only 450 miles on it.. the previous owner had it in his lounge and was a new rider, he went straight from passing his bike test to this. His first ride scared the crap out of him and he didn't really ride it much after that.

I don't know why I kept thinking it didn't fit, it's fine and It's going in on Friday for a service and suspension set up.

Thanks to everyone who helped me 'actually ride' the thing and I'm soooooo excited and keep going into the garage to look at it.

Happy Riding :tango_face_smile_bi

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congrats! And ride safe.

FYI: Some things to get for the 899 to make it a better ride:
1. Upgrade to a clutch slave cylinder

2. Ducati Performance comfort seat
3. Textile & leather jackets
4. Comfortable gloves

5. Backpack, get a hard shell to avoid wind drag

Some things I've heard other Ducati owners get to make the ride enjoyable is getting gel handles. I'm still looking into this, but I've learned to not grip the handles as hard anymore or be too stiff. Again, the new clutch slave cylinder has made it more comfortable, so my arms are always loose.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Congrats! And ride safe.

FYI: Some things to get for the 899 to make it a better ride:
1. Upgrade to a clutch slave cylinder

2. Ducati Performance comfort seat
3. Textile & leather jackets
4. Comfortable gloves

5. Backpack, get a hard shell to avoid wind drag

Some things I've heard other Ducati owners get to make the ride enjoyable is getting gel handles. I'm still looking into this, but I've learned to not grip the handles as hard anymore or be too stiff. Again, the new clutch slave cylinder has made it more comfortable, so my arms are always loose.
Oh, I'd add one thing to the list - actually three things. 1) get rid of that EVAP canister, or you'll probably experience hot-starting issue, 2) the exhaust flapper motor cable will seize at some point (does anybody still running it? Mine seized and took the plastic pulley with it), so might as well get rid of that, and 3) replace the slippery foot pegs, those are atrocious, especially in the rain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It's having a service tomorrow and I've noted everyone's input and made a list of things to talk to the mechanic about. I agree re the clutch, bloody stiff and not comfortable at all...will be changing that.

Thanks again

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll add to the fun here.

I have encountered a couple of issues on my 2015 899 (16k miles) outside of routine maintenance, but nothing unusual.

I had a front fork seal go out. There was liquid on front part of my faring and was initially worried it was something engine related. But just turned out fork fluid was blowing backwards. Replaced easily.

I burned through a rear tire in about 4500 miles. Took my mechanic sending me a photo during a routine maintenance showing me exposed belt on the tire - oops! This bike seems to roll through tires pretty quick.

Found a small drip on clutch-case. It looked like packing grease but mech and I weren't sure. That was about 10k miles ago and haven't seen anything since. So, packing grease.

I'll also add that getting rid of the footpegs is must. OEMs are slippery. I have the Duc am race seat too, which I like quite well. The bike still runs hot as **** and is no picnic in heavy traffic during summer months, but think we all know that by now. It's an amazing bike, and yea, I still get a ton of attention wherever it goes.

Sadly, I have to put down riding for a bit. Getting a f'in hip replacement. Not the bike's fault of course, but suffice to say the aggressive riding position with a bad hip is torture. Hoping to be back on by end of year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So quick update a month after ownership...I have changed to the Oberon clutch put on a carbon seat cowl and had the suspension set up. I have bought a dark screen but not fitted it yet and that's it so far. The EVAC was never fitted to uk bikes so need to worry about that and I'm willing to change the pegs next. I'm still getting use to the position and playing with the rider modes.

I am so pleased I went with my gut feeling and bought the 899 over the super sport It's an amazing to ride and when I go into the garage I just stand there staring at it...can't help it :)

Just wondered what fuel everyone uses...do you use super or normal ( 95 RON in UK)

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2 cents, as I got an 899 around the same time you did (not my first Ducati, though):

1. I removed the exhaust servo altogether, and replaced it with the Vizi-Tec Servo Eliminator. The 899 will not throw a CEL (Check Engine Light) on the dash if you unplug the servo, but it will store a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) in the ECU. Same if you keep the servo plugged in, but disconnect the cable: no CEL, but you get one or more DTCs. The servo eliminator... eliminates all that, and you get no DTCs. If you buy it, use discount code VT15 for a 15% off.
2. The throttle has a lot of play and I did not like it. The throttle spacers from Ducati Spacers are an expensive piece of plastic, but overall worth it. They are currently discounted at $36.99 but I got them at $28 using discount code SPRINGSALE... not bad. Very easy to install, 10 minutes. Just watch the videos online and take your time to do things right.
3. If you do maintenance yourself or if you just like to tinker, get MelcoDiag so you can reset service light indicators, check DTC codes, etc. On the Ducati.org forum there's a good writeup of what you need. I cannot post URLs as I just created an account on this forum, but you can PM me and I'll send you the link if you want.
4. Add a trickle charger connector, it's very easy to do, I bought if off eBay for $4 and installed with no mods.
5. Switched to Philips Diamond Vision H11 Halogen HID Super White 5000K, about $35 from Amazon. I did it purely because the standard halogen bulbs look very yellow next to the bright LED running lights... I use the bike only during the day so I cannot comment on how more/less bright they are, but I think general consensus is that these blue-ish bulbs are actually a tad LESS bright than stock, because effectively they filter out the yellow component of the light.
6. Added cheap swingarm bobbins from eBay, $4. You need the 6mm variation.
7. Got a seat cowl from Amazon for $25, finish is not perfect and the color (red in my case) is a bit off, but for the price I can't complain.
8. Footpegs are quite slippery. I got some cheap replacement pegs off eBay for $8 but haven't installed them yet. They look reasonable, but there are better options around for a bit more dollars (on eBay you can find some good ones, anodized in various colors, for about $35).
9. I also removed the evap canister and properly re-routed all the vents, but you don't have this issue as you're in the UK.

I can't comment about UK gasoline. Here in California the best we get is 91 AKI, and that's what's recommended for all performance bikes/cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
1) Screen change is very fiddly due to the bottom screws nearest the nose.

2) Ducati Performance pegs for the 899 are expensive, but brilliant.

3) Ducati comfort seat is a pretty good upgrade too !

4) I've always used normal fuel with the odd tank or two of premium, can't notice any significant difference with higher RON fuel

5) They are brilliant, aren't they :D

RBW.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a set of replacement pegs for sale, if interested. Never used, never installed. Made by a company called MotoCrazy, Japanese company that is know for their specialty for Ducati and MV Agusta.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So completely forgot , I have put in the throttle spacers, what a difference especially in traffic and would recommend it. I'm not going to attempt the screen until the winter, just in case...I don't want anything to stop me riding in the sun :0 )

I do find the grips very uncomfortable, any suggestions?

JB I love the look of those pegs, are you in the in uk ?

And Sonny boy...Hope the op goes ok and your back on the bike soon.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So completely forgot , I have put in the throttle spacers, what a difference especially in traffic and would recommend it. I'm not going to attempt the screen until the winter, just in case...I don't want anything to stop me riding in the sun :0 )

I'm in the US, unfortunately...

·
Registered
23 Posts

Agreed on the spacers... meant to mention those in last post. It is an amazing little mod.

And thanks for well-wishes!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts