Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
the v twin has 90 degrees between cylinders and literally sits like a V in the frame, the L twin sits with one cylinder straight up and one straight forward, also i believe the cylinder angle is greater than 90

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The 90-degree V-Twin mounted with one cylinder horizontal is what Ducati coined as the "L-Twin" to distinguish it from the typical cruiser V-Twin connotation. Ducati uses the 90-degree layout and even 180-degree firing order on the crank because it has inherent perfect primary balance and requires no counter-balancer on the crank.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The 90-degree V-Twin mounted with one cylinder horizontal is what Ducati coined as the "L-Twin" to distinguish it from the typical cruiser V-Twin connotation. Ducati uses the 90-degree layout and even 180-degree firing order on the crank because it has inherent perfect primary balance and requires no counter-balancer on the crank.
I believe it's a about 23 degrees from horizontal but otherwise I agree with everything else.

Edit* Sorry, it's 21 degrees...

·
Registered
83 Posts
V-twins have typically angles between 60 and 89 ° and beside the cruiser engines the layout also is used in sport bikes, for eample the Aprilia RSV 1000.

The Ducati L-Twin has always 90 °. The big advantage is that a balance shaft is not needed to keep the vibrations at a low level. The disadvantgae is that the engine isn´t that compact as a V-Twin.

·
Registered
23 Posts
V-twins have typically angles between 60 and 89 ° and beside the cruiser engines the layout also is used in sport bikes, for eample the Aprilia RSV 1000.

The Ducati L-Twin has always 90 °. The big advantage is that a balance shaft is not needed to keep the vibrations at a low level. The disadvantgae is that the engine isn´t that compact as a V-Twin.
L-Twin engine has nothing to do with the balance and/or vibration. Fabio Taglioni had a rare talent for knowing how to put innovative ideas to good use.
Dr. T oriented cylinders in L-shape for one reason and one reason only: to cool both cylinders equally. The “disadvantage” of not being compact is actually another big advantage. Have the cylinders separated made the huge difference when come to the cooling. Taglioni was a real genius. There is absolutely nothing on Ducati motorcycles since 1954 that anybody can find weird or “disadvantages”. He showed the path, and Ducati stays on that path since.

·
Registered
83 Posts
L-Twin engine has nothing to do with the balance and/or vibration. Fabio Taglioni had a rare talent for knowing how to put innovative ideas to good use.
Dr. T oriented cylinders in L-shape for one reason and one reason only: to cool both cylinders equally. The “disadvantage” of not being compact is actually another big advantage. Have the cylinders separated made the huge difference when come to the cooling. Taglioni was a real genius. There is absolutely nothing on Ducati motorcycles since 1954 that anybody can find weird or “disadvantages”. He showed the path, and Ducati stays on that path since.
Sorry man, but Taglionis - a genius indeed - main target was to reduce the primary vibrations (-> Ian Falloons "Ducati Story", the Ducati bible). The L layout brought a short crank shaft with low vibrations at lower revs, a slim engine and a good cooling. Besides he tilted the motor 15 ° in the frame to get it shorter.

Todays engines are mostly water cooled (Ducatis air coolers are dying the next 2 years), so the air cooling effect is no longer important.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry man, but Taglionis - a genius indeed - main target was to reduce the primary vibrations (-> Ian Falloons "Ducati Story", the Ducati bible). The L layout brought a short crank shaft with low vibrations at lower revs, a slim engine and a good cooling. Besides he tilted the motor 15 ° in the frame to get it shorter.

Todays engines are mostly water cooled (Ducatis air coolers are dying the next 2 years), so the air cooling effect is no longer important.
So your argument against my statement that Taglioni predominantly designed L-shape engine to cool both cylinders equally is: “Todays engines are mostly water cooled (Ducatis air coolers are dying the next 2 years), so the air cooling effect is no longer important.”

Whether Ducati will discontinue air cooled engine or not in the future, I don’t see connection with the 40+ years old design I was talking about and what is today or what might be in the future. LOL. Sorry man, but to understand this topic you have to be much more technically educated. With all the respect for Ian Falloon’s writing but these books are not on academic levels. It seems to me they just confuse you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.