Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a fantastic experience today being pulled over by our uniformed bike friends and given a yellow sticker for the Competition Werkes Tail Tidy and Integrated Brake Light.

Is there a logical workaround?

Obviously, moving the license plate back up is easy enough, however, the brake/indicator light issue I was a little surprised with. Perhaps I'm just a little ignorant.
Was my friend correct in saying that it is illegal to have an integrated brake/indicator light?

Thanks all

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've read that one reason (there could be more) why they are technically illegal here in US is because the turn signals must have a certain distance between them (so people behind you can clearly differentiate if you're signaling right or left) and integrated signals don't comply with that regulation. I don't know if that's the same in Australia, but I would not be surprised.

If with "workaround" you mean a way to pass a one-time Police inspection, then you can maybe buy some cheap turn signals and fabricate a bracket to move the license plate and the signals more or less where they are supposed to be (although if the Police wants to give you hard time, they can probably argue that the license need to be at a certain height, distance and angle, which is why stock bikes come with those ugly license holders in the first place).

I personally had the Ducati Performance License Plate Holder on my 899, with Ducati Performance LED Turn Signals... it's very expensive but it looks nicer than stock, without attracting attention.

Bicycle part Font Nipper Auto part Event

·
Registered
307 Posts
ADR 19/00 compliant
Motorcycle indicators must:
  • For front indicators – be at least 300mm apart and at least 100mm from the headlight
  • For rear indicators- be at least 240mm apart
  • be 350mm to 1200mm above ground level
  • be coloured amber
  • light flashing frequency of 60 to 120 flashes per minute
  • have compliance markings (e-mark).
HTH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read that one reason (there could be more) why they are technically illegal here in US is because the turn signals must have a certain distance between them (so people behind you can clearly differentiate if you're signaling right or left) and integrated signals don't comply with that regulation. I don't know if that's the same in Australia, but I would not be surprised.

If with "workaround" you mean a way to pass a one-time Police inspection, then you can maybe buy some cheap turn signals and fabricate a bracket to move the license plate and the signals more or less where they are supposed to be (although if the Police wants to give you hard time, they can probably argue that the license need to be at a certain height, distance and angle, which is why stock bikes come with those ugly license holders in the first place).

I personally had the Ducati Performance License Plate Holder on my 899, with Ducati Performance LED Turn Signals... it's very expensive but it looks nicer than stock, without attracting attention.

View attachment 41225
thank you for responding!

I do like those, and have found one online.

good option at the moment

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ADR 19/00 compliant
Motorcycle indicators must:
  • For front indicators – be at least 300mm apart and at least 100mm from the headlight
  • For rear indicators- be at least 240mm apart
  • be 350mm to 1200mm above ground level
  • be coloured amber
  • light flashing frequency of 60 to 120 flashes per minute
  • have compliance markings (e-mark).
HTH
This is great info, thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts