Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Has anyone seriously gone into weight reduction, ie Superleggera style.

The battery on that thing weighs 2kg less than the 1199 battery!

@jarelj has pretty sure his 899 is lighter than the supperleggera-from what Ive read start with the wheels seems to be the biggest gains in weight loss there. Other significant weight loss mods, exhaust slipon or full, battery as you stated above. Im sure there is a whole lot more and @jarelj will chime in soon :)

·
Premium Member
696 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I giggle at the thought of doing a CF DSSA for the 899, the one piece CF rear/seat sub-frame, and the magnesium airbox from the SL on Jarel's bike as well :drool:
I actually decided not to do the CF monocoque tail section after weighing it and realizing it's not really any lighther than the aluminum subframe and tail that I have on there now. Magnesium airbox would be pretty sweet, but I looked up the cost in the Ducati parts system: $5500! :eek:

·
Registered
723 Posts
I actually decided not to do the CF monocoque tail section after weighing it and realizing it's not really any lighther than the aluminum subframe and tail that I have on there now. Magnesium airbox would be pretty sweet, but I looked up the cost in the Ducati parts system: $5500! :eek:
Wow, that's really surprising it's not much lighter. Does it have internal reinforcement that adds to the weight?

...and yeah I'm not one bit surprised at the cost of the SL air box lol.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Wow, that's really surprising it's not much lighter. Does it have internal reinforcement that adds to the weight?
It's still really light, it does have the mounting bosses for the 4 connections to the engine which have to be heavier metal for strength. It was like 3.2 lbs total for the carbon one if I remember, and the Motoholders aluminum subframe I have is 2.75 lbs. but then you have to add the fiberglass race tail to it, so probably closer to 4 lbs. total. So maybe less than 1 lb. total weight savings to go to the carbon PLUS I would lose my extra "storage" space under the tail where I currently have my camera recording unit stashed. If you want from a stock setup to the carbon, you'd be saving over 10 lbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.