Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. I parked my bike on the road.

Came back and the bike was on its left side. Some guy reversing knocked the bike over and drove off.

Went to Ducati to check the damage. Over £2000. haha can you believe it.

The clutch lever & handle bar bent, the steering damper broke. The steering stop on the bottom yolk (triple grip) broke. the top yolk damaged and the front panel scratched up on the edge.

Cant believe one drop can cause this much damage. Watch out guys on where you park. :))))

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
That's effin' awful! What a jerk-ass. SOunds like something that happens all too often over here in the States. Was your insurance able to cover damages?

·
Registered
72 Posts
What did you ever do about the broken yolk? I had an unfortunate tipover in my garage and the bottom yolk on the left side broke off the frame as well as breaking the steering damper. I'm trying to figure out whether I should even ride my bike now and what the extent of the damage is. Do I have to get a whole new frame or is this something that can be repaired?

·
Registered
793 Posts
What did you ever do about the broken yolk? I had an unfortunate tipover in my garage and the bottom yolk on the left side broke off the frame as well as breaking the steering damper. I'm trying to figure out whether I should even ride my bike now and what the extent of the damage is. Do I have to get a whole new frame or is this something that can be repaired?
You have to buy the lower clamp that the tap broke off from. It's $ 850.00 for the part alone.

I broke mine and bought these protectors from RG. R&G Steering Stop Protectors - Panigale | LS0005BK

These might work as steering stops and then there would be no need to replace the part. They have been back ordered for months but the dealer said I should have mine this week. I'll let you know if they can be used instead of the factory steering. They are designed to protect the factory steering stops.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You have to buy the lower clamp that the tap broke off from. It's $ 850.00 for the part alone.

I broke mine and bought these protectors from RG. R&G Steering Stop Protectors - Panigale | LS0005BK

These might work as steering stops and then there would be no need to replace the part. They have been back ordered for months but the dealer said I should have mine this week. I'll let you know if they can be used instead of the factory steering. They are designed to protect the factory steering stops.
I bought one of these when Ducati Omaha was running a group buy on R&G, but never installed it. They will reduce the turning range of your handlebars, so you will no longer be able to lock them.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I bought one of these when Ducati Omaha was running a group buy on R&G, but never installed it. They will reduce the turning range of your handlebars, so you will no longer be able to lock them.
That's a bummer. Could a track guy use them and not replace the broken ones on the lower bracket? I found a lower bracket cheap so I went ahead and fixed mine but I got the RG one to protect from future damage.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That's nuts. Two thousand quid on a stationary drop. That's like 1/6 of the price of the bike, is it not?

If I were you, I'd take my money and put it in nice upgrades on the broken bits (e.g. foldable racing levers, Ohlins steering damper) from cheaper online sources. Might end up no more expensive than getting OEM bits from your dealer.

I was close to having the same outcome as you. Parked in a shopping mall carpark in a designated motorcycle park. I didn't notice it at the time but it was perpendicular to a carpark lot right next to it. As I'm walking back to the bike to ride off, I see this older lady in her SUV slowly but surely reversing toward my bike (not a little - like half the SUV overlapping with the side of my bike!). I managed to get between my bike and the back of the SUV to stop her and give her my 'I'm not impressed at all' look and the ever elegant tsk-tsk finger gesture, but it was close enough for me to learn never to park in a lot like that again.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
That's a bummer. Could a track guy use them and not replace the broken ones on the lower bracket? I found a lower bracket cheap so I went ahead and fixed mine but I got the RG one to protect from future damage.
Unfortunately, that is where I left it... along with the part in the package. If I had of known there was interest and limited to no availability, I would have posted it up for sale.

As for the other bike parts, the bars are sacrificial in that they will bend or break first in order to not put a strain on the triple and / or forks. The levers, if not folding or shorties, are exposed as are the mirrors. Even if you have shorties, the ends are likely to get scratched. You are looking at $500 minimum just for those parts, plus labor.

Add to that the rearsets, fairings, etc. and the numbers start to climb quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.