Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on this list upgraded their brake lines? Has it made a noticeable difference in lever pull?

I have stock lines and while stopping power is more than adequate, I would like for the lever to not come so far back when I'm putting max pressure on.

I typically adjust the lever a little bit closer to the grip.

thanks

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I believe that someone had mentioned in another post that the brake lines are braided, but covered by some coating.

From what I understand, the additional lines to the ABS system and/or the potential for air leakage via one of the nipples causes the amount of lever travel. Ive noticed this on the initial pull—with any immediate succeeding braking has the level travel distance reduced to what it should be.

I am considering bypassing the ABS first to see if this eliminates the change in level travel as well as the lack of brake feel—which is really disconcerting when (attempting) trail braking.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Pretty sure the lines are already SS. Changing the lines will probably only give you a line straight to each caliper instead of the chained current style. The issue with the lever pul I think has been chalked up the master cylinder....

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've changed my master cylinder (RCS 17), calipers (m50), discs (SuperSport) and while a lot of drawbacks with the stock brakes have been overcome, the fact is there is still a decent bit of lever travel. It is possible that lever travel would've reduced if I went for the RCS 19 master, but this would've resulted in a wooden feeling brake with an almost on-off response.

I also believe the issue is with the ABS unit and the lines necessary for the ABS to work. The hardcore track people amongst us have reported significant brake improvements by removing the ABS entirely, so there is evidence for blaming the ABS.

The simplest solution in the interim is not to have the brake lever too close. You'd want to have the lever a decent distance from the grip even at full pull. I remember MarkDucati commenting that having his lever too close contributed to his crash because he effectively rotated the throttle when he grabbed a handful of front brake.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I upgraded to M4 calipers from a 1198 and that cleaned up the problem a lot. Next I am going to an RCS19, which is the "right" master for those brakes anyway, and I'm guessing that will finish resolving it.

The ABS makes things feel spongy largely because of the number of lines and how much line there is.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...these aren't the lines we're looking for...move along...

Great info everyone. THANK YOU MustangWolf, Krissrock, Vyruz, Rowan, mtb.

Not really willing to go the distance yet bypassing ABS. And I'm reading that increasing the MC is not really going to make a difference in lever pull. However, as I'm now converting it to track bike, bypassing ABS might come back as a necessity. I won't know till I enter turn 1 and 3 at Willow Springs:)

Honestly having the lever too far from grip stress my hand out a bit and sometimes affects throttle/brake when entering corner. But I certainly don't want to have a MarkDucati situation either.

Have any of you bled the brakes on the Panigale? Is it straight forward with a vacuum bleeder? i read that with ABS, it is quite intricate a process.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bleeding is just like any other system. I use a vacuum bleeder to get old fluid cleared and get new fluid in fast, then bleed manully until the lever feels good and I am not seeing or hearing any air. Usually I do not get any air after vacuum bleeding but I always check anyway.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I bypassed the ABS and ran the brake lines directly to the calipers. Made a world of difference. Lever is good and firm with very little free travel.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Drained and bled the clutch and brakes today. Motul600. Quite a few air bubbles on the clutch side. What a difference. Have to top up the clutch reservoir though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I upgraded to M4 calipers from a 1198 and that cleaned up the problem a lot. Next I am going to an RCS19, which is the "right" master for those brakes anyway, and I'm guessing that will finish resolving it.

The ABS makes things feel spongy largely because of the number of lines and how much line there is.
Hello, I know this is an old thread but do you remember if you needed to replace your brake lines with custom when you installed the M4's on your 899 or was it a straight swap using existing brake line? I'm thinking about doing the same on my 899 and I was curious if it was simply a quick swap of the calipers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts