Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Anybody got an idea which fuel is best to use as I'm hearing different opinions . In the uk unleaded is 95 Ron and super is 97 Ron .
You should be running the bike on Super. If your unsure speak with your dealer, but i only put in Premium 98 Ron in Australia. So i'd assume your 97 Ron would be like our Premium.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Im running Super unleaded simply because I always have on my bikes.

The biggest difference I have seen in terms of MPG is in France where the sans plomb (unleaded) is pants and fuel economy was dropping by about 20% last year which is a pain when putting the miles in. When abroad I always run Super these days and for the amount of miles I do over here i'd rather stick the better fuel in.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Higher octane fuel has greater resistance to detonation. Detonation is when the compressed charge instantaneously explodes instead of burning with a controlled flame front that is triggered by the spark plug.

In normal operation the spark plug fires before top dead centre (TDC). The combustion takes place over a period of time. The spark is timed so that the peak pressure during combustion occurs during the down stroke when the crank angle can apply plenty of torque.

If the combination of heat and pressure gets too high the charge will detonate without a spark. It will instantly explode delivering a massive peak pressure over a very short time. The stress this places on the engine is considerable. If it happens before top dead centre, and it usually would because that's when the combustion chamber pressure is increasing, you can imagine how undesirable this is!

Higher octane fuel is therefore safer for your engine. I don't know about regulations in your countries but when I used to race in NZ we used avgas, which is essentially 100 RON petrol. I got it from my local aero club (authorised by presentation of a valid race licence) but there was a fuel station in central Auckland that had an avgas pump around the side for the boy racers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In Western Canada the best fuel we can get is 94 octane and only at Chevron. It is noticeably superior to the highest octanes (91 or 92) at other dealers. The bike just runs better and with no knocks or pings.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I was told specifically by my salesman to run Premium, which is 91 Octane here in Georgia. Although, some fuel stations have 93, but they are few and far between. For as little fuel these thirsty bastards hold, there is a negligible cost difference, but a huge engine saving margin! Stick with the best, for the best...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Anybody got an idea which fuel is best to use as I'm hearing different opinions . In the uk unleaded is 95 Ron and super is 97 Ron .
RON 97 would be equivalent to 93+ octane in the US.
RON 95 would be equivalent to 90 or 91 octane in the US.

The recommendation is 90 octane US so you should use 95 RON or Euro Super unless it causes your engine to knock.

The higher the octane the more resistant to preignition and knock but at the cost of energy density. High octane fuel also tends to be more expensive.

For the most benefit you want to use the lowest octane fuel for your vehicle while preventing knock, otherwise you're throwing away money for nothing.

Many people swear by high octane fuel because it's labeled "Premium" so it's somehow magically better. Don't be fooled by marketing, all fuels provided by reputable petrolium companies (oxymoron?) have a minimum level of detergents in them and will keep your engine spinning like a top, so to speak.

If you want to run the higest octane fuel and really see a benefit from it the engine needs to be tuned for it. Otherwise you are actually loosing performance (horsepower) and fuel economy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RON 97 would be equivalent to 93+ octane in the US.
RON 95 would be equivalent to 90 or 91 octane in the US.

The recommendation is 90 octane US so you should use 95 RON or Euro Super unless it causes your engine to knock.

The higher the octane the more resistant to preignition and knock but at the cost of energy density. High octane fuel also tends to be more expensive.

For the most benefit you want to use the lowest octane fuel for your vehicle while preventing knock, otherwise you're throwing away money for nothing.

Many people swear by high octane fuel because it's labeled "Premium" so it's somehow magically better. Don't be fooled by marketing, all fuels provided by reputable petrolium companies (oxymoron?) have a minimum level of detergents in them and will keep your engine spinning like a top, so to speak.

If you want to run the higest octane fuel and really see a benefit from it the engine needs to be tuned for it. Otherwise you are actually loosing performance (horsepower) and fuel economy.
Qft. Run 91 in us if you can get it. You want the lowest recommended for max hp.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I fill my bike with 98 Octane only. Simply because in Europe they've started adding E85 (ethanol) in the 95 Octane fuel.

Afaik they are allowed to mix up to 10% E85 ethanol in the 95 Octane fuel as of 1st May 2011 due to a EU regulation.

I'm probably just being over protective but it just feels better knowing I have my fuel reservoir filled with the stuff that was intended for the bike, not some government sanctioned garbage mix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I fill my bike with 98 Octane only. Simply because in Europe they've started adding E85 (ethanol) in the 95 Octane fuel.

Afaik they are allowed to mix up to 10% E85 ethanol in the 95 Octane fuel as of 1st May 2011 due to a EU regulation.

I'm probably just being over protective but it just feels better knowing I have my fuel reservoir filled with the stuff that was intended for the bike, not some government sanctioned garbage mix.
It's all 10% ethanol where I'm at.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.