Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm wanting to order a new set of tires this weekend. I think my rear will make it to about 4,300 or 4,400 miles so I'll need then in a couple weeks ready to install. They are still very nice and round and wearing very evenly. My wheels seem to hardly ever loose pressure. I run 32/34 and I've only had to add like 1 pound to each since my first service to keep them there.

I'm going to be sticking with Pirelli for sure, I tried many others on my 848 and I'm REALLY happy with the tires on the 899. I don't want to make this thread into a type of tyre discussion (to each their own!), just a heads up for everyone where the best deal may be for stock tire replacements.

I've found them for sale here for $351 and here for $314-$332 (They don't show a 180/60 so I just emailed them for the exact price). Front is a 120/70 and the rear a 180/60.

Does anyone know if I can find them for less anywhere else? I want to be sure I'm getting the best deal out there right now.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The site rockymountainatv.com was running a sale, but I am not sure if they are better than you have found.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I usually go with Competition Accessories for tires, 302.69 for the set. Tires Sport / Super Sport at Competition Accessories

They do free shipping and I've never had an issue with them at all. Ordered tires from them twice before. I've also done business with Bike Bandit and had no issues. I pretty much just shop around and go with whoever has the best deal between Sportbike Track Gear, CompACC, Motorcycle Superstore or Revzilla (they's been getting most of my money lately). I looked on all those sites and CompACC had the best price.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If you wanted to upgrade to the supercorsa V2 the set should be $320

·
Registered
480 Posts
You guys probably know this already, but it bears mentioning none the less. Many tire discounters are selling older tires. As the rubber compounds age, their performance characteristics degrade. In many cases it's not a noticeable difference, but it's definitely worth considering if your riding style is on the more aggressive end of the spectrum. In the most extreme cases, it can even affect tire longevity.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
You guys probably know this already, but it bears mentioning none the less. Many tire discounters are selling older tires. As the rubber compounds age, their performance characteristics degrade. In many cases it's not a noticeable difference, but it's definitely worth considering if your riding style is on the more aggressive end of the spectrum. In the most extreme cases, it can even affect tire longevity.

The Pirelli 180/60 is a fairly new tire that just came out with the 848 Streetfighter a few years ago. How long could they have had tires stockpiled since they are so new?

Edit: In case I'm confused, I think the entire Diablo Rosso Corsa line is fairly new. I believe it was launched sometime in 2010 so I'd feel pretty safe about it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The Pirelli 180/60 is a fairly new tire that just came out with the 848 Streetfighter a few years ago. How long could they have had tires stockpiled since they are so new?
That's a good point and a fair question, and one that should be easily answered by the seller. My point is that it can't hurt to ask, since tires are a critical component to both safety and performance.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Age is a good point, however in my experience, unless I buy locally and go thru the tires date codes myself, it's a crap shoot no matter what. No one local to me sells these tires.

Now IF someone could say X vendor guarantees tires less than 12 months old, I would pay the premium...

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
When is the q3 going to come in 180/60?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pirelli Corsa

I just got my second set of tires. I can't believe you're going to get the same stock tires .The stock Pirelli's grip good but don't last at all. Mine only lasted 1600 miles (all mountain twisties). I can't afford to replace my tires so often. I got a pair of Michelin Power 3's, which I had on my previous bike (a Kawasaki ZX-10R) and they lasted twice as long as the Pirelli Corsa did on the my 899.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I just got my second set of tires. I can't believe you're going to get the same stock tires .The stock Pirelli's grip good but don't last at all. Mine only lasted 1600 miles (all mountain twisties). I can't afford to replace my tires so often. I got a pair of Michelin Power 3's, which I had on my previous bike (a Kawasaki ZX-10R) and they lasted twice as long as the Pirelli Corsa did on the my 899.
I can't either, even the older style tires that came on my 848 only lasted me about 3,800 I think.

I see about 75% mountain roads/turns, the rest is spent freeway going straight there. I don't ever commute or just cruise thru town on it. I don't ever use allot of throttle in town or on the freeway, only pulling myself thru turns so it's never putting the power right on the center. I do that on purpose so the very center does last longer so I can wear the sides down evenly with it given I'm about 30mins each way from my house to the mountain roads.

What tires pressures were you running? I'm also sure ALLOT of it depends on the pavement. Also I don't go over 100% to the very edge of the tire, I'm only maybe using 85% of the tire, my wear lines are barely to the last tiny little arrow on the very edge. I'd say average corner speed on the mountain roads around here are between 40mph to 70mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That 2nd pic makes the rear look more worn than it is due to the dust on the floor of my garage, the 3rd pic gives a more accurate representation. As you can see, I'm getting hella mileage out of them :D

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So check this out, while I'm at CycleGear buying some Redline, I ask the guy if they stock Diablo Super Corsa Rossas knowing they don't. He says tho that they order and get them direct from the Pirelli distribution warehouse! That basically assures me the freshest tires possible. They want like $334 for the set plus tax but I think I might do it just for the piece of mind :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
If just being stored they were aging that fast so it becomes an issue your tires would last not even 100 miles once mounted. Unless those tires are 10 years old that's just preposterous assumption and complete bs. You're probably into speaker cables too ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Assuming the profile of the rear tyre you fitted is a 180/55 how did you get on with the Traction control?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.