Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

Tire options

41K views 58 replies 39 participants last post by  fabriciom 
#1 ·
I live in Vancouver, Canada, which is a pretty wet place. Silmilar to much of the UK. I have ordered my 899, but not yet received. I'm wondering if there is a better "all around" option than the stock Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas. I understand that there is no perfect tire for all conditions, but my riding will be restricted to wet and dry roads, not tracks.

#2 ·
I ride in all weather conditions and find the Diablo Rosso Corsas combined with the 899s TC system to be fine in the rain. If you want a good all rounder, then i'd recommend the michelin power pures.

#3 ·
That's a very good question. I've been looking for options on tires myself. Not so much for wet riding but what other manufacturer make them in our size since the rear tire happens to be 180/60/17. In the owners manual, it'll explain to you that if you choose a different size tire other than the OE that it could interfere with the TC or abs or one of the others. I'm sure there's gotta be an all around tire for your use, and I'm sure it'll be pricey. Good luck and post up what you come across.

#4 ·
Thanks. Looks like the Power Pures have been replaced with the Power Pilot III's. I did some more reading and both the Michelins and Pirellis get very good reviews, even on wet roads and tracks. So I will stick to the OEM (Wet mode if necessary) for now and see how it goes. Let us know if anyone has other experiences.

#11 ·
Yes, the ride from Vancouver to Whistler is fantastic. The short way is 120 kms and is called the Sea to Sky Highway. Half along the ocean and half climbing. Lots of turns and good road conditions. There is only one other way and it's 450 kms. East from Vancouver through Hope, then north to Lillooet, then west and south down to Whistler. Fun to get up early in the morning and do the whole loop, but more fun to overnight in Whistler for the bars. Will keep my eyes open for the Dunlops.

#10 ·
I'm running Michelin Pilot Road 3's on my bike is a very wet UK. Brilliant in any winter conditions. Problem is that because the rear is a 55 profile the TC needs turning off.
Spoke to Dunlop UK and by the end of February there will be a 60 profile rear in the Sportsmart range. These are a great tire. Not sure what they are known as elsewhere in the world.
Fitting these should give great wet grip and the 60 profile won't upset the TC at all.
Well done Dunlop. :cool:

#20 ·
I had to stick a180/55 on my rear after a puncture in France and your right it does upset the TC. It was flashing on the dash at low revs on initial pull away. I'm going back to the standard Pirelli as I found them great and confidence boosting in atrocious weather and hot temps too. They get a thumbs up :D

#12 ·
Oh man I REALLY hope they make a Dunlop Q3 in our profile.

#17 ·
I have a feeling that if you use a different profile wheel other than the stock one's, you can only use TC and race setting, which is essentially mode 1.
Don;t quote me on that but that's what I was told when I questioned about running slicks on mine for a trackday. I was told to just see how things go and maybe just even turn TC off.........I don't think so. Not with the $ I just spent on the bike.

d

#19 ·
I did see a 120/60 and 160/60 listed on the Dunlop Tyre site for the Sport Smart... I saw an earlier post that it is the same as the US Q3.

#21 · (Edited)
So far the only tire choices I have seen for the rear tyres in the 180 x 60 size are the Pirelli Rosso ll and the Pirelli Rosso Corse tyres. I have used both on my SuperSport but in the more common 180x55 size.

The Rosso II will do about 5000 to 8000 km of road riding and the Corse tyres somewhat less.

The Rosso IIs are sports tyres primarily for the road and the Rosso Corses are considered a sports tyre for the road & track.

If you never do track days then the Pirelli Rosso II tyres are probably a better option, better wet grip and longer lasting and let's face it if you need more grip on the road in the dry than these give you then you should probably be on a track!

The Rosso lls are OK when near new in the wet but not as good as a sports touring tyre like the Michellin Pilot Road 3's or 4's ( have only used the 3's personally, but the newer 4's are supposed to be better in every respect). Unfortunate Michellin Pilot Road tyre we are not available in a 180 x 60 size.

The Rosso Corse are a poor wet weather tyre but a very good dry weather raod and track day tyre. but life is not great.

It would be great if we also had an option to run a 'sports touring' class tyre like the long lasting and very good wet weather Pirelli Angel tyres for when you go touring on your 899 (you can of course tour on any bike).

#22 ·
There is another option to the two Pirellis. The Conti Race Attack Comp. Endurance is a road-legal long distance race tire available in 180/60 too. I've read of mileages between 2500-4000 km on the road, depending on your right hand skills.:rolleyes: But it needs thouroughly warming up and is no rain tire as well. A friend of mine did 2.000 km on the road and two complete track days with it on his RSV4 , and he is a h€ll of a fast guy. He is doing between 25.000 and 30.000 km a year with his RSV4. :eek: Maybe I'll give it a try after my current Rosso II is done.

#23 ·
Quick question guys... A buddy of mine just sold his bike and he had a brand new set of Diablos in 180/55/17. I bought them off of him for $100 thinking it was a steal. Now reading through this forum it seems I might have jumped the gun. Should I ask for my money back or can i use these tires when my stock wears out.

#24 ·
I've had issues with the TC kicking in at low revs / high torque with the 180/55. The only cure is to switch off TC although the issue isn't as great in race mode (probably cos the TC isn't interfering as much).

It's not a huge issue but the TC light flickers a lot which is distracting and I'm not switching TC off after I paid this amount of money for a bike equipped with it. Back to a 180/60 for me and after a non stop 450 mile jaunt through back roads from Uk to Germany Nuurbergring I'm more than happy with the pirellis in the wet. Ran it in sport mode and not on major moment :D

#28 ·
The stock Pirelli Rosso tire is terrible. It has good grip but only lasted 1700 miles! I installed the Michelin Power 3's and they have the same grip but lasted TWICE as long. That's the tire to get.
Really? My stock Rosso Corsa made it 4,500 miles..... I just put another one on. And that's including a hard track day. How did your tire wear out? Belts showing down the center?

#27 ·
Any update on a tire that is compatible with the electronics on this bike?

The rosso corsa on my bike at present are crazy soft, lots of small cuts and sharp bits finding their way into the tread. Strange thing is I'm sure I had this tire on my old s1000r and never experienced these problems with that.

#30 ·
In the UK the only tyres I can find in a 180/60/r17 at the moment are:

Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa

Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa (SP,SC0,SC1,SC2)

Dunlop Sportmax Sportsmart II

Continental Race Attack Comp (Endurance,Medium,Soft,Slick)

Metzeler Racetec Interact (K0,K1,K2)

Metzeler Racetec RR (K2)

Also if you had to put a different size tyre on, then a 190/55/r17 would be closer to stock diameter than anything else, how that would affect handling (wider/flatter) is anyone's guess

#31 ·
I wish it would adjust to different tire sizes, or more people would make 180/60.

Reactions: XCLR8TN
#37 · (Edited)
Difference between Supercorsa SP, V2 etc?

What brought me to this thread was to try and uncover the difference between the various Supercorsas out there.

Can anyone list the variants and what the differences are? I tried google searching and unearthed a load of stuff that didn't help. I have so far seen SP, SP V2, SC0, SC1, SC2. Very confusing without info on what's what...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.