Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I have recently purchased the white Panigale 899 (Matte finish) and looking for some advice on what to clean it with.

Even after spending a fair bit of time with Dr Google, I still didn't come across any definitive answers.

I ended up ordering some micro-fibre towels and a chamois from ebay.

Some sites said to use Window cleaner and others said to avoid. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for some tips for keeping those wheels red and sexy.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike (Dirty Pani)

·
Registered
550 Posts
There are some cool matte paint products out there. I have a red bike so it's a totally different regime to yours, but I wouldn't use a chamois.

Microfibre all the way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been using glass cleaner with great results. I use a Meguiar's glass cleaner concentrate diluted down. Stoner's invisible glass works well also. These work great for a light to medium grime, just make sure to really saturate the dirt so it just lifts off the paint. If you want to wash the bike, I use the Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte auto wash. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Chemical guys meticulous matte! They make 3 products you want.
-Meticulous Matte soap, pH balanced and no gloss enhancers, perfect for matte paint.
-Meticulous Matte Detailer, good for a quick wipe down after each ride.
-Jet Seal matte paint protectant, get the tiny bottle of this, it lasts forever.

I've been using those 3 for 2 years and my paint looks perfect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My bike doesn't see rain and I'm very meticulous about it. I never need to wash it with soap and water.
Like others have said Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte is what I use.

The wheels I just soak in Meguiars detail spray and wipe them down.

I do all of this after every ride

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chemical guys products are the way to go. Use the two bucket method with a grate in the dirty bucket. I also use WD-40 on my rims and up under the tail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow all these posts are amazingly helpful. Thanks for the advice. its such a beautiful machine and although I will definitely not be wrapping it up in bubblewrap, I want to keep it looking clean for as long as possible! Thanks again

·
Registered
326 Posts
I use Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer as well as their Matte Auto Wash, which Streetz mentioned.
+1 for Chemical Guys

·
Registered
128 Posts
Chemical guys meticulous matte! They make 3 products you want.
-Meticulous Matte soap, pH balanced and no gloss enhancers, perfect for matte paint.
-Meticulous Matte Detailer, good for a quick wipe down after each ride.
-Jet Seal matte paint protectant, get the tiny bottle of this, it lasts forever.

I've been using those 3 for 2 years and my paint looks perfect.
What if I used a regular shampoo and then the meticulous matte retailer?

I have chemical guys honeydew snow foam and their meticulous matte detailer. Not sure if I want to buy the meticulous matte wash too, would it hurt if I used a regular shampoo like the honeydew?

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's good soap, my only reservation is that it has a gloss enhancer added.

I'm sure it won't hurt anything and I think going back over with detailer is a bit overkill. I would just try the honeydew foam and see how it looks in various lighting conditions. Honestly, I wouldn't expect a noticeable difference at all, but the finish might appear more satin that matte. Not necessarily a bad thing as long as the gloss enhancers don't end up splotchy.

If you're not happy with it you can wash it again with Dawn dish soap, which will strip most residue and wax, leaving a fresh surface for a different product.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Get a wire wheel, remove it and paint it red like it's meant to be, lol!:p

Seriously though. I'm a big fan of paint protection and for matte finishes have heard good things about Dr. Beasley's. If it were mine i would go that route which makes care so much easier and greatly improves long term durability.
As mentioned, you want to steer clear of anything with gloss enhancers in it as more than likely they will result in a patchy, uneven result. Use a good quality matte specific shampoo such as CG mentioned above although there are a few readily available that are all good.
For spot cleaning/tar removal etc you can use an alcohol based (NOT AMMONIA BASED!) window cleaner (also certain baby wipes) or make up a solution of 50/50 alcohol and deionised water. Soak a cloth in this solution and lay it on stubborn spots for a few minutes first and always wet any cloths you use to wipe down the surface.
Or use the wire wheel method above :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's good soap, my only reservation is that it has a gloss enhancer added.

I'm sure it won't hurt anything and I think going back over with detailer is a bit overkill. I would just try the honeydew foam and see how it looks in various lighting conditions. Honestly, I wouldn't expect a noticeable difference at all, but the finish might appear more satin that matte. Not necessarily a bad thing as long as the gloss enhancers don't end up splotchy.

If you're not happy with it you can wash it again with Dawn dish soap, which will strip most residue and wax, leaving a fresh surface for a different product.
Thank you for this! I ended up ordering the matte soap, might as well lol.

One more question; I see so many posts asking what product to clean fairings with, and what product to clean wheels with.

But what about the clutch cover and everything else that is not the rims or the fairings? Can I use the matte soap on all that metal stuff, or should I stick with Dawn, or??

I see some people using simple green on here. I have 'simple green pro hd', maybe that would work?

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can wash the entire bike with the matte soap. I like to hit the rear wheel with simple green before the wash, then go over them both with a separate sponge or something during the wash. If the wheel is really nasty I might use a dab of kerosene on a shop rag instead of simple green.

Whenever I'm using spray detailer instead of a full wash, I use a diluted simple green solution or plain water on non-painted surfaces like engine cases, forks, and swingarm.

I read the description of simple green pro HD and it seems fine to me. Just spot test and dilute as necessary. I would probably dilute it first to be safe, and add a little more if it's not strong enough.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can wash the entire bike with the matte soap. I like to hit the rear wheel with simple green before the wash, then go over them both with a separate sponge or something during the wash. If the wheel is really nasty I might use a dab of kerosene on a shop rag instead of simple green.

Whenever I'm using spray detailer instead of a full wash, I use a diluted simple green solution or plain water on non-painted surfaces like engine cases, forks, and swingarm.

I read the description of simple green pro HD and it seems fine to me. Just spot test and dilute as necessary. I would probably dilute it first to be safe, and add a little more if it's not strong enough.
Thank you so much!

I will dilute the simple green pro HD to half of whatever the minimum dilution is on the bottle. My plan is to use that on the wheels, and then wash the rest of the bike with the matte soap, and then spray the matte detailer on the fairings.

I have a bunch of kerosene that I bought for cleaning the chain, if the rims are really caked I will spray a little kerosene on the hard parts.

Thank you for taking the time to lookup the Pro HD too, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Welp, one year later and I have a question. If anyone can help please let me know.

I recently ordered the rear seat cowl for my white 899 and noticed it was whiter than the rest of the bike. This was odd because all the posts here of "white cowl color doesn't match" are the complete opposite; the cowl is usually darker than the rest of the bike.

So I researched some user 899 photos and found out most of the white 899 bikes out there are whiter than mine. Mine is still white, but almost has a yellowish tint compared to the pictures posted on here.

The normal 899 white bikes almost have a shine to them despite being matte.

So I am wondering is this yellowish tint on my bike because of the meticulous matte? Or are my fairings damaged? I really want my bike to look like the whiter shiny version I see from user submissions. Perhaps meticulous matte is not that common and most people are using standard shine-based shampoo and that is why they look so much better?

I can post pictures if needed, but my situation is very similar (very similar to this thread.)

Regardless, PatrickR do you have a photo of your bike after using the meticulous matte? Additionally, if anyone knows a solution to this problem please let me know. I priced out OEM fairings and the total was ~$3,600 (I guess you can't buy them as a set and have to order each part separately).I would rather not spend that but really want my bike to look normal lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't have a picture at the moment, just got a new phone.

The meticulous matte soap doesn't have any effect on the paint surface though. My paint looks exactly the same as it did when brand new, except for a couple rock chips and minor scratches, of course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use a combination of wash techniques on my 899, Not really complex but a good quality shampoo e.g. Chemical Guys maxi suds or anything that isn't specifically a "wash & wax".

Snow foam again a combination of anything which suits budget. I have applied a general long term sealant from Sonax which is not a matte specific product. However as part of my usual wash routines i use Muc-off matte detailer which is really reasonable to buy and comes in decent sized bottles.

My bike has a good colour effect and none of the above techniques have changed the finish in anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts