Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that the throttle free play is a bit too much? Any idea how to adjust it? With the throttle response being a little twitchy when under ~10% open, it'll be helpful to reduce the slack. I also prefer minimal free play.

·
Registered
171 Posts
@Calpoly07

Our bikes are fly by wire throttle (No Cable, just electronics), so the adjustment would be in the potentiometer (in the handle) that sends the signal to the throttle body. I would say to adjust sensitivity/response you will need to take it into a dealer, as playing with this yourself without a multimeter and diagnostics on hand, will be harmful to you and your bike.

I'm assuming this is what you meant by throttle free play?? or did you mean the resistance in twisting the throttle at the handle??

Also that free play is there for a reason, no free play would mean every time you hit a bump the slight movement in your wrist would cause the bike to throttle on/off………. which would have a increased effect of jerkiness/twitchiness

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that the throttle is fly by wire, but there is still a spring assembly in the throttle grip. I referring to free play as in the movement of the throttle before it actually engages. I don't want zero free play, but I want to reduce it. Currently there is more than 1/4" of free movement and it's very annoying as I like my bikes to have very little free play.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I understand that the throttle is fly by wire, but there is still a spring assembly in the throttle grip. I referring to free play as in the movement of the throttle before it actually engages. I don't want zero free play, but I want to reduce it. Currently there is more than 1/4" of free movement and it's very annoying as I like my bikes to have very little free play.
That spring is there to give you feel/feedback when operating the throttle, the only way to make that throttle operate any earlier than the 1/4" of free play is to get into the ECU with the diagnostics program and alter the way it reacts to the potentiometer, obviously the first 1/4" of movement is programmed to have no response.(as mentioned in my previous post, for obvious reasons)
Sounds like you need to speak to your Dealer workshop, because I'm assuming that they will be the only people authorised to do this. (don't be surprised if Ducati says NO though)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suggest you google "free play" in a throttle grip to understand what I'm talking about. Clearly we are not talking about the same thing. I don't want the throttle to kick in earlier, I just want to remove the excess slack in the throttle grip.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Be mindful though this will increase the resistance of the grip to throttle off when released, also throttle could jam/be sticky.
Some engineer got paid a lot of money by Ducati to design this bike for mass production, cheapest option is to accept it, adjust your riding style to suit and you will soon be used to it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol so defensive, relax. Don't know what they say down under but free play is a very common term for this, and is referenced as such in all manuals for the bikes I've owned and worked on in the past. I know my terminology, and also know my EE as I've been in hardware engineering for over 7 yrs.

I didn't come to this forum to bicker though, so for everyone else, have you noticed excess slack? I was getting my suspension tuned up today and even the shop tech commented on how much slack there is. I've searched the 1199 forums and I read mention of two three-point screws on the throttle assembly but there didn't seem to be a clear solution. I've located these screws but they don't seem to affect the free play. I'll bring this up with Ducati when I take my new engine for its 600 mi service.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
@Calpoly07

It was one of the first things I noticed when I picked up the bike.

I asked Brian at Boulder Motorsports about it and he said they had the same problems with the 1199 race bikes they had built and they developed a shim kit for the throttle tube to fix it. I sampled the one on their 1199 Superbike. (See last months Roadracing World for a test) and it was fantastic.

Boulder Motor Sports | Specializing in Ducati service, performance, and parts

Please mention that I referred you if you call.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lol so defensive, relax. Don't know what they say down under but free play is a very common term for this, and is referenced as such in all manuals for the bikes I've owned and worked on in the past. I know my terminology, and also know my EE as I've been in hardware engineering for over 7 yrs.

I didn't come to this forum to bicker though, so for everyone else, have you noticed excess slack? I was getting my suspension tuned up today and even the shop tech commented on how much slack there is. I've searched the 1199 forums and I read mention of two three-point screws on the throttle assembly but there didn't seem to be a clear solution. I've located these screws but they don't seem to affect the free play. I'll bring this up with Ducati when I take my new engine for its 600 mi service.
Actually, I think it's you that's being a bit defensive. Genie has attempted to explain to you an equitable way, why the "FLOAT" is there.

Being fly-by-wire requires a smoother transaction between off and on throttle, hence the float. This allows the engine to react to throttle input in a smoother manner. If you didn't have the float in the throttle, your normal riding over street surfaces would be very abrupt and rough. This is something you don't want. Ducati changed this on the prototype, when they saw the MV Augusta 675 having similar problems with the throttle transitions.

Messing with the throttle float, will cause adverse reactions to throttle input. Try listening and learning a bit about the 899, instead of being a so reactive to what others tell you. Don't try to create a problem that doesn't exist. Leave well enough alone.

The 1199R has the same float for a reason, however it can be changed for track use where the surfaces are more even and less rough. I wouldn't want it for use on the street. You want to be concentrating on your riding, not throttle application.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I completely disagree with both of you. "Free play" has nothing to do with this, NOTHING IS BEING SENSED IN THIS REGION! The throttle input is completely disconnected here. There is no resistance whatsoever in this zone, it's just dead space. Because the fact it's electronically controlled the "smoothness" is actually controlled via software which is what is done between wet/sport/race modes. ONCE THE THROTTLE IS OPEN, the resistance sensed can be interpolated into actual throttle linearly, progressively, etc. It's not like the free play is helping here. The throttle engages the same way with 0 free play or half a throttle rotation worth of free play.

The reason free play is in traditional throttles with a cable assembly is because as you move the handlebars the cables tighten and relax slightly. If there was 0 free play, was you turn your handlebars in one direction the throttle may actually engage without you even touching it. Once you have enough slack in the throttle to overcome this, it's purely subjective from there. I just prefer less, which could easily be adjusted with cable assemblies.

Also while riding over street surfaces, the free play will only affect your riding if your holding the throttle closed, in which cases bumps may cause you hand to move slightly cutting throttle in/out. If your holding the throttle open and riding, free play does jack ****.

I seriously think you and Genie just do not understand what I'm asking here, period.

·
Registered
171 Posts
@Calpoly07

Oh I more than understand what you mean, my next suggestion would be that you may as well sell the bike, this issue obviously makes your ride so unenjoyable, that the only suitable response would be to trade your 899 in, and buy something that has that throttle response with less float that your looking for…….

:) *Sarcasm*

and the "smoothness" is not controlled by the software, the "Responsiveness"is. The same thing happens at the throttle every time, don't believe me…. put a multimeter there and test it, the WET/SPORT/TRACK modes alter the responsiveness/character (aggressiveness) of the throttle by utilising the different mapping within the ECU.

·
Registered
75 Posts
@Calpoly07

Oh I more than understand what you mean, my next suggestion would be that you may as well sell the bike, this issue obviously makes your ride so unenjoyable, that the only suitable response would be to trade your 899 in, and buy something that has that throttle response with less float that your looking for…….

:) *Sarcasm*

and the "smoothness" is not controlled by the software, the "Responsiveness"is. The same thing happens at the throttle every time, don't believe me…. put a multimeter there and test it, the WET/SPORT/TRACK modes alter the responsiveness/character (aggressiveness) of the throttle by utilising the different mapping within the ECU.
I agree and Genie, you're not going to make sense with someone who doesn't want to listen or learn.

Calpoly07 I understand completely, I'm a Ducati tech with plenty of experience.

Reactions: Genie

·
Registered
75 Posts
Let me help you with your terminology Cal. Free play adjustments only exist with cables not fly-by-wire. There is no free play adjustment with a fly-by-wire throttle as there are no cables. Now this being said, my Ducati Carbon Diavel has a fly-by-wire throttle but has cables which actuates the throttle sensor, which actuates the throttle bodies butterfly's. I can adjust the cable free play.

The 899 and 1199 are true fly-by-wire, no cables at all. The space between on throttle and off is called the "Float," not free play, understand? If you're an electrical engineer, you'd have understood this in the beginning. You're the one insisting the free play can be adjusted.

Has anyone noticed that the throttle free play is a bit too much?.................
I completely disagree with both of you. "Free play" has nothing to do with this
Stop contradicting yourself you make no sense.

Reactions: Bavarianf30
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.