Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone here,
Started removing some bolts and fairings on my 899 and started seeing most bolts having threadlocker either blue or red applied.
I have never used threadlocker, but picked up a tube and packaging states it “helps prevent against leaks and rusting of threads”
Now is it okay to use it on most if not all my bolts? I am installing front and rear axle sliders, would it be okay to apply on those bolts?
for someone uneducated in this usage, what would be the proper situations to apply threadlocker

thank you all for your help

·
Registered
29 Posts
You picked a very common threadlocker, Loctite Blue 242. It's medium-strength, and labelled as "removable" because it doesn't take much force to break its bond (as opposite to something like Loctite Red 271). Now, to your question on where to use it: I would definitely not apply it to all the bolts. As a matter of fact, both on street and dirt bikes, I actually put a bit of oil on most of the bolts I remove, to prevent seizing/rusting over time. Threadlocker should only go where the service manual tells you to, and that's usually limited to few, specific places. If you want to use a tiny bit of Loctite Blue on your axle sliders, go ahead, but don't put too much. A drop, then spread it on the thread by rolling it between your fingers, and that's it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts