Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to this bike but I'm not mechanically retarded. How long should this take installing the exhaust and replacing the air filter.

This is my daily driver so I don't want the bike down for too long.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya mine are just the slip ons. 2 hours wouldn't be so bad.

First I gotta see if there are dB killers in em since I ordered em from Italy. Idunno if they have the same noise standards over there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did mine myself. I'm pretty handy and there's a great video on youtube.
Took me more than 2 hours though, more like 4 I think. But I am on the methodical side of life. Had to get everything aligned perfectly and such. Furthermore you have to remove/loosen more than you think. Rearsets and such.
Also get your hands on good tools!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I'm debating on doing this all Monday, cuz I need to install the Termis, Air Filter, and Rapidbike EVO all at once haha
Maybe 4-5 hours at most?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Took me 3 hours and my collector pipe had been smashed into an oval shape. The time includes me 'massaging' it back into shape with a 5 pound sledge. I also did the air filter in that time.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I did my slip-ons in about 1.5 hours.
Protip - insert all bolts loosely at first untill everything is lined up and pipe springs are on. Then do final tighten

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, slip ons in 1.5 hours, air filter in like, 15 minutes. Then just need to see how logn RapidBike takes.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
349 Posts
So, slip ons in 1.5 hours, air filter in like, 15 minutes. Then just need to see how logn RapidBike takes.

Thanks for the tip!
TBH, go as slow or fast are you need. Different people have different skill and experience. I rather take my time and do it once then rush it and have problems and have it look like ****.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think that time window is optimistic...15 minutes to remove/prop up the tank, fit the filter and put it back together aligned?
The slip-on in 1.5 hours could work, but I'd reserve 2-2 1/2 hours...basically I'd leave myself at least a 3 hour time window, so don't plan anything close behind it :).
But doing it after work would leave you with more than enough time to ride to work with the excellent new sound track the next day. :cool:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So ya, only took me a lil over 2 hours.

This Rapidbike has been a pain in the ass tho! Spent about an hour and I still can't figure out where to put the wires through to the other side.

TERRIBLE INSTRUCTIONS!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good you got the pipes on, where did you get the them from? Good deal?

Hope you get the RapidBike sorted ok you must be dying to ride it!!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good you got the pipes on, where did you get the them from? Good deal?

Hope you get the RapidBike sorted ok you must be dying to ride it!!!!
Got the Pipes on Ebay from an Italian dealer for $1,175 shipped.

And yes, I figured the Rapidbike out. Works like a charm already, can't wait till it fully adapts in a couple hundred miles :)

·
Registered
349 Posts

This Rapidbike has been a pain in the ass tho! Spent about an hour and I still can't figure out where to put the wires through to the other side.

TERRIBLE INSTRUCTIONS!!!
This where some experience comes into things.
When I install my Tuneboy QS system, the lack of instructions was as expected. But after a look around, I found a better route which could be nicely tied with the factory loom and remain "hidden". Took a little longer time wise, but from the avg eye It looks OEM.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This where some experience comes into things.
When I install my Tuneboy QS system, the lack of instructions was as expected. But after a look around, I found a better route which could be nicely tied with the factory loom and remain "hidden". Took a little longer time wise, but from the avg eye It looks OEM.
Ya, you won't tell it's in there unless you ride it.

But putting all those wires behind the radiator gap, that was annoying haha. But it was oh so worth it :)

Exhaust sounds a bit beefier too. I removed the flapper motor so it stays open, and I removed the dB killers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think that time window is optimistic...15 minutes to remove/prop up the tank, fit the filter and put it back together aligned?
The slip-on in 1.5 hours could work, but I'd reserve 2-2 1/2 hours...basically I'd leave myself at least a 3 hour time window, so don't plan anything close behind it :).
But doing it after work would leave you with more than enough time to ride to work with the excellent new sound track the next day. :cool:
So does the tank need to be removed for slip-on install? Or just air filter?

·
Registered
52 Posts

TERRIBLE INSTRUCTIONS!!!

Hey ApokC. I just recently purchased used Termis as well, the Titanium slip-ons. I am waiting to get the y-pipe (end header) because the seller didn't include that. But as I was looking online, the installation doesn't look too bad. I have a nearby mechanic that charges $124/hr, and he quoted me for 2hrs. Doesn't seem bad, but then again, I don't mind doing it myself.

What would you recommend that's needed for this install? I am also new to the motorcycle scene, but I have a lot of experience doing work on cars (BMW, Acura, & Honda), so I'm a bit handy. I know I need a rear stand for this, but wondering if you know what type of tools are needed? Any tips on things you would've done differently?

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey ApokC. I just recently purchased used Termis as well, the Titanium slip-ons. I am waiting to get the y-pipe (end header) because the seller didn't include that. But as I was looking online, the installation doesn't look too bad. I have a nearby mechanic that charges $124/hr, and he quoted me for 2hrs. Doesn't seem bad, but then again, I don't mind doing it myself.

What would you recommend that's needed for this install? I am also new to the motorcycle scene, but I have a lot of experience doing work on cars (BMW, Acura, & Honda), so I'm a bit handy. I know I need a rear stand for this, but wondering if you know what type of tools are needed? Any tips on things you would've done differently?

Thanks!
I installed an akrapovic slip-on last year. You might want to take a look at the akrapovic instructions as I assume they are similar to the termi and they have good pictures. Here is a link to the manual.

The installation is pretty straightforward and if you have worked on cars then you should be able to do it. Our installation took a looooong time, but only because one of the y-pipe bolts was seized and it was in a very awkward position to get to. I am attaching a picture of the location of the stuck bolt below.

We also had trouble getting the baffle out of the exhaust and had to rent a slide hammer to get it out. But removing baffles is not necessary. Overall I promise the install is straightforward and I don't think my issues are common.

If I were you I would grab a hex bit and check to see if your y-pipe bolt is seized like mine was. If you can turn the bolt and get it out easily then I suggest you install the slip-on yourself.

You will need a rear stand. A cheap spring puller tool will be helpful too.

Edit: Actually I am not sure if a spring puller is necessary for the termis.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I installed an akrapovic slip-on last year. You might want to take a look at the akrapovic instructions as I assume they are similar to the termi and they have good pictures. Here is a link to the manual.

The installation is pretty straightforward and if you have worked on cars then you should be able to do it. Our installation took a looooong time, but only because one of the y-pipe bolts was seized and it was in a very awkward position to get to. I am attaching a picture of the location of the stuck bolt below.

We also had trouble getting the baffle out of the exhaust and had to rent a slide hammer to get it out. But removing baffles is not necessary. Overall I promise the install is straightforward and I don't think my issues are common.

If I were you I would grab a hex bit and check to see if your y-pipe bolt is seized like mine was. If you can turn the bolt and get it out easily then I suggest you install the slip-on yourself.

You will need a rear stand. A cheap spring puller tool will be helpful too.

Edit: Actually I am not sure if a spring puller is necessary for the termis.

Thanks so much for the advice helishmeli! I miss working on mechanical stuff, it's been years. It's funny because as you get older, have a good job, and money to pay for installs, you simply just get lazy to do these things. I remember spending hours to swap a full exhaust on my cars. But now, it's so much easier to pay someone.

My philosophy is to get to know the bike first because that helps to not get bs'd by a mechanic. You will know the basics and that will help inform you if you have a legit or liar for a mechanic. lol. I've learned this the hard way over the years, but that has contributed to my knowledge on it now. So, I want to do the same with the motorcycle.

Anywho, I am currently waiting for a Termi distributor to confirm the y-pipe that the previous owner didn't include If it clears, then I'll have to wait for a few days as it'll be coming from Canada. I have a car as a back up and my work provides a shuttle. So, I can actually take my time to make sure I can do a clean install of these. Do you recommend any sites on where I can buy the appropriate Ducati tools? Or guide me to a link that gives good advice on what tools I can purchase at any tool store?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts