Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I was recently ridind and noticed I couldn't shift down leaving my neighbourhood. Shifting up on the quickshifter worked fine all the way up to 6, but when I would shift down, it would only go down once ( eg. 4 to 3) and then the shifter felt stuck in position, as if I couldn't push it down anymore. I later learnt I could shift down again if I slightly raised the shifter up(without shifting up) as if to give it room to then shift down. It was as if the shifter needs the click back in place after down shifting.

I proceeded back home where I had been cruising in 1st gear then at that point couldnt get past neutral/shift up to 2nd gear.

When I got home I tried adjusting the lever as per manual to maybe cut out any slack I was thinking but no luck.

Has anyone encountered this and DIYd it themselves? Or did you take it to the mechanic and if so how much did they charge for any labour/parts involved.

Bike is 899 2015 with 26000 km.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have never done it so take this for what it's worth, but on the 899 you can easily access the gear selector mechanism without removing the engine. I would start there to see if there is anything out of place. Based on your description of the problem, it's possible the problem is there, and you won't have to split the cases.

Bicycle part Font Automotive wheel system Engineering Automotive tire

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that,

Update:

Without even touching it it seems to be shifting up with the bike off (to scared to test on road), but shifting down still requires you to raise the lever before pressing down again.

I do have it booked at Ducati in 3 weeks but I reckon I can give this a shot before then mate!
Although I wouldn't know what I'm looking at so I'll post up a photo for anyone to possibly diagnose if I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Through research and finding some workshop manuals im now 90% sure the issue may be one of the springs behind gear control cover.

Just wondering before i go ahead and open her up to check the springs - Q: Do i need to drain the engine oil before opening? - i havent the riden the bike for close to a week now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I doubt the oil will be a problem... it's likely some will come out when you loosen the cover, but not much. The real question is whether you can remove the cover with the footpeg assembly in place, because on the left side of the bike that piece is part of the suspension (i.e. it holds the weight of the bike). I took a quick look at mine and it seems there is a bit of room, so hopefully Ducati's engineers thought about it and shaped it in a way to allow removal of the gear selector cover. Let us know how it goes...

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I didn't have the courage to open it up. But it's at Ducati service and they have identified yes a broken return spring as suspected.

Note if your in Aus, Ducati will charge $30aud for the return spring and $158 per hour labour(X2). To be expected I guess but will definitely give it a shot myself next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts