Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a question for all of you. Do you guys ever see some dark liquid dripping down on the left exhaust? It's near where the chain and exhaust meet. Has been constantly doing that after long rides.

·
Registered
15 Posts
wow that looks pretty nasty indeed!

but I can see dirt in the "dark liquid" so I assume it's really molten chain lube mixed with dirt from the chain.

I would suggest to completly clean off your chain from your current chain lube and use some other product to see if the problem still exists.

I myself use a chain lube called "S100" ... but I think it's not sold in the U.S.
However, my chain lube doesn't melt over the hot exhaust and I don't have this problem!

Sorry for my bad english :/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I had the same the first few hundred miles—I attribute it to the packing grease that was left on the chain that I didn't get to clean off until after I got my rear stand. Since I cleaned it off and have been lubing with Maxima, I only get a little trail of brown now and again—I think I need to clean out the chain guards of the remaining grease as I've seen some still stuck on in there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Once you've sprayed you wipe off the excess. Chain's not suppose to be swamped with lube. Wipe off between lube too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That looks like engine oil....

If it's chine lube, you will see it fling everywhere on the underside of you tail fairing.

As you mentioned, this happens after a long ride.
Your engine might be leaking, take it in to get it looked at. Some of the 14 model had a issue of hairline cracks developing in the crack case. This happened to mine and the engine was replaced.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Some of the 14 model had a issue of hairline cracks developing in the crack case. This happened to mine and the engine was replaced.
This has me worried. Can you tell me more? How did Ducati fix this issue? Did they beef up the case for 2015?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks like engine oil....

If it's chine lube, you will see it fling everywhere on the underside of you tail fairing.

As you mentioned, this happens after a long ride.

Your engine might be leaking, take it in to get it looked at. Some of the 14 model had a issue of hairline cracks developing in the crack case. This happened to mine and the engine was replaced.

It only appears after a ride. Never drips when I leave it in the garage over night. Do you still think it's a crankcase issue?

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
It only appears after a ride. Never drips when I leave it in the garage over night. Do you still think it's a crankcase issue?
That sounds like what Ducato mentioned above—either you've got excess lube on your chain that's dripping down or the heat from the engine is melting packing grease from the chain that's been flung onto the chain guard onto the exhaust.

·
Registered
264 Posts
In no way do I think this is chain lube. It looks like oil mixed with road grime.

You need to take the fairings off and give everything a very detailed inspection. I'd be sure to take off the sprocket cover too.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
In no way do I think this is chain lube. It looks like oil mixed with road grime.

You need to take the fairings off and give everything a very detailed inspection. I'd be sure to take off the sprocket cover too.
Good idea to inspect everything. But I wouldn't say there's no way it isn't lube since I had gotten the same exact result on my exhaust canister until removed all the remaining grease from the surround area—I don't have an oil leak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This has me worried. Can you tell me more? How did Ducati fix this issue? Did they beef up the case for 2015?
had my engine replaced. It was a pain, because i had pay to do my 1st service again :(

Good thing is, it's all covered by warranty

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oh ****. I have this problem as well. And I always thought that it was the chain lube so I have not taken any action. Now you got me worried too. Think its time for me to send my bike in to check. Its due for service anyway. Will update once I get my chance to send it in.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I cleaned out all of the factory grease from the sprocket cover when I put a 41T sprocket on my 1199. The grease was in no way that color. Nor would I imagine it would get hot enough to run down like that. It was an epic pain in the ass to clean that grease out. I tried everything...heat, soap, etc etc. In the end, WD-40 nailed it.

However...it looks exactly like engine oil.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ok ... I use the Motul white lube in tube and it goes black like that when it gets hot and dirt gets attached to it. I have had runs like that after lubing then goes away.

Fairing off .... and find the source then :(

·
Premium Member
574 Posts

That was what my new chain was throwing. Cleaned it up and hasn't thrown any since.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts