Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that there seems to be a dip in power on the low end of the RPM range. I usually notice it when taking off from a stop; there's good power/feel from the 1200 to ~4000 range, then there's a very noticeable 'bog' just when you start to get into the meat of acceleration. I know that's pretty low in the RPM range, but it really breaks up an otherwise smooth take-off. I'm wondering if this is an actual fuel map issue or an abrupt change in the electronic throttle response.
Has anyone felt this?
Any ideas how to fix (other than purchasing a full system and having it mapped by a professional)?

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Sounds like every bike I have ever owned. They all have that EPA bog in the 4000-5000 rpm range.

I have the termis on so I haven't experienced it on this bike to be honest. But I am 99% sure that is what it is.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I guess they must mean rear wheel lifts. That would make sense.
Yes, that's correct, the ABS system has an "Anti Lift-Up" function in levels 2 and 3, which helps keep the rear tire on the ground during hard/emergency braking to help maintain control of the bike. If it senses the rear wheel coming off the ground, it will reduce the braking power going to the front brakes just enough to get the rear tire back on the ground so you still have steering control to make evasive maneuvers. The level of "Anti Lift-Up" is highest in Level 3 ABS where it basically won't let the tire off the ground, and is a little less in Level 2 ABS where it will only let it up for a little bit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like every bike I have ever owned. They all have that EPA bog in the 4000-5000 rpm range.

I have the termis on so I haven't experienced it on this bike to be honest. But I am 99% sure that is what it is.
Thanks Obama!! JK
I guess an exhaust system is in my future.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
As you can see from this dyno chart (from Akrapovic showing the difference between the stock 899 exhaust and their full system) there is a little dip in the torque curve right at 5000 rpm, which could be what you're feeling. I think it's likely that emissions plays a role in this, as well as the way the ride-by-wire throttle body openings are mapped. Ducati clearly wanted the bike to be "easy to ride" in the low to mid rpm range, as evidenced by the rapid ramping open of the throttle bodies at 7000 rpm, where the bike really takes off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Understood, but the more I ride the bike the more I feel the roughness of this map. As far as making the bike easy to ride, the dip at low RPMs makes it a bit challenging even for an experienced rider. I was almost pitched over the handlebars the fist time I encountered it. It's definitely worth fixing. My CBR had a few dips here and there; the Bazazz system I installed eventually evened everything out and with a little help from their map engineer optimized the fuel ratio map to give a few extra HPs where you need it. I hope I don't need to buy a system for this bike, but the current map is unacceptable long-term.

All that said, the more I ride the bike, the more I absolutely love it! The twin is just beautiful.

So the Termi exhaust comes with a map... how about the Akro?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.