Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have an 899 Panigale. I got all the stuff needed to switch out the swingarm to the single sided 1199 swingarm. I got the swingarm, wheel, sprocket, fender etc.

My question is, what should I do about the rear sprocket size? I see that the transmissions are the same gear ratio in both bikes, but obviously the engine sizes are different and the rear wheel sizes are different.

the 1199 socket size is 39 teeth or 41 teeth. The 899 is 44 teeth I think. I got a sprocket that was 43 teeth I think (I can check and easily get a different one if so). I also got a 14 tooth front sprocket if needed. My question is, what combination do you think I should use? I don't know enough about this particular subject to be able to tell what the correct sprocket ratio should be with the smaller engine and the bigger tire or what difference it will make.

Thanks

· Super Moderator
152 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for. The 899 stockers actually help the 899 accelerate to 60 as fast as the 1199 despite having a smaller engine- but it comes at the cost of speed. If it were me I’d just keep the stock sizes. It will keep the bike spunky and take a lot of guess work out of your project.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I went and looked at the sprocket I got and found that I actually did get the 44T rear sprocket when I bought it. It was a long time ago and I forgot which it was. I had been thinking about getting a different size when I did, but I guess I did not.

The thing I had been concerned about is if the larger 200/55 tire is going to act in such a way as to change the apparent "gearing" than the smaller 180/60 tire. Obviously a larger tire would make a different effect if how fast you are going at the same revolutions per minute but also would make a different in the apparent amount of power and torque you have. However I did not realize that the tires are almost exactly the same diameter. I did a tire size comparision on a tire comparison calculator on line and the 180/60 R17 tire and the 200/55 R17 tire are only 1 /10th of an inch different in diameter. In 1 mile of travel it is only a difference of about 33 feet of distance due to difference in tire size. I am sure that makes such a little difference it does not matter. Certainly not as much difference will be made as changing the rear or front sprocket teeth numbers.

So I am going to stick with the 44T rear.

Thanks for you input.

Eric

· Registered
110 Posts
The thing I had been concerned about is if the larger 200/55 tire is going to act in such a way as to change the apparent "gearing" than the smaller 180/60 tire. Obviously a larger tire would make a different effect if how fast you are going at the same revolutions per minute but also would make a different in the apparent amount of power and torque you have. However I did not realize that the tires are almost exactly the same diameter. I did a tire size comparison on a tire comparison calculator on line and the 180/60 R17 tire and the 200/55 R17 tire are only 1 /10th of an inch different in diameter. In 1 mile of travel it is only a difference of about 33 feet of distance due to difference in tire size. I am sure that makes such a little difference it does not matter. Certainly not as much difference will be made as changing the rear or front sprocket teeth numbers.
I was about to comment on this yesterday but you figured it out on your own. There is a minimal difference in circumference between a 200/55-17 and a 180/60-17, it's less than 1% and you will not notice it. What you might notice is the larger section of the tire (200mm vs 180mm) combined with the overall weight of the new wheel+tire, which could affect acceleration and handling. If the 1199 wheel+tire is heavier, acceleration might feel a bit sluggish, and a larger rear sprocket (+1) might compensate for that feeling.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I could see it was a lot wider. I am just going to try the usual sprocket sizes to start with and hope for the best. The sprocket I got is one of the Superlite Quickchange sprockets which weighs a lot less that the standard sprocket set up, so hopefully that offsets some of the additional tire weight.

· Super Moderator
152 Posts
The wider tires will also have a flatter overall profile and will change the cornering characteristics. Basically, both tires have very similar “height” but the 200s are (obviously) 20mm wider than the 180s. I don’t know how pronounced it will feel, but the 180s will generally make for a more flickable bike.

Super lights are a good choice… I have them on my bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts