Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'll be upgrading to an SSSA and using an 1199 rear end...

Should I stick with the 525 pitch or get the 520 conversion kit. Will I notice a difference? All I do is street riding.

And the OEM 1199 sprocket is -5 from ours, is that going to be ok too? How will this affect me.

Basically I'm asking if I should just use all stock OEM sprocket / chains or get a kit

·
Registered
349 Posts
Since I'll be upgrading to an SSSA and using an 1199 rear end...

Should I stick with the 525 pitch or get the 520 conversion kit. Will I notice a difference? All I do is street riding.

And the OEM 1199 sprocket is -5 from ours, is that going to be ok too? How will this affect me.

Basically I'm asking if I should just use all stock OEM sprocket / chains or get a kit
Search is your friend. There are many threads open on what you seek with your conversion.

http://www.899panigale.org/forum/899-panigale-general-discussion/15522-sssa-coversion-nearly-there-sprocket-needed.html

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=899+SSSA+conversion+899fourm

http://www.899panigale.org/forum/899-panigale-appearance-modifications/15018-ams-ducati-dallas-ss-swingarm-conversion.html

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but I know of the SSSA threads, I have a sprocket question. They don't really dive into the sprocket details. I've noticed most get the quick change sprocket

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the OEM front 899 sprocket is a 15T 520 sprocket, so it's probably easier and cheaper to just get a 520 rear and a new longer chain I'd assume.

What exactly happens when you have less teeth in the back though? Do you really notice like 1 or 2 less? I assume 5 less would be drastic

·
Registered
349 Posts
So the OEM front 899 sprocket is a 15T 520 sprocket, so it's probably easier and cheaper to just get a 520 rear and a new longer chain I'd assume.

What exactly happens when you have less teeth in the back though? Do you really notice like 1 or 2 less? I assume 5 less would be drastic
Yes you would notice.

but you would get a 300kph top speed......

It would be as quick in accerating. Even just getting 14/39 would still be to Tall for 899 power/gearbox gearing. Try finding the correct sprocket.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I could go faster with it, or the speedometer would just read wrong...

Ya I found a steel 44T rear that I'm going to go with

·
Registered
550 Posts
So I could go faster with it, or the speedometer would just read wrong...

Ya I found a steel 44T rear that I'm going to go with
If I understand correctly, the speedo sensor will still read the rear wheel rotation, so there is no need for a modified speedo adjuster.

I am likely wrong, but I remember reading that on here somewhere...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I understand correctly, the speedo sensor will still read the rear wheel rotation, so there is no need for a modified speedo adjuster.

I am likely wrong, but I remember reading that on here somewhere...
It's ok if it does read wrong, cuz I'm still going to go as fast as I feel like

·
Registered
380 Posts
You swap out the 899 speed sensor for the 1199 sensor when you do the conversion I think, but the sensor regardless of 899/1199 does read off rear wheel rotation.

As for gearing, It's going to be spinning that (slightly) heavier 200/55 tire, but the chain is only going to be handling torque loads from that 898cc engine. I'd say 520 chain and just pick a gear ratio you think is comfy.

For my type of riding, I personally think the 899 gearing is too short for comfort ; )

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You swap out the 899 speed sensor for the 1199 sensor when you do the conversion I think, but the sensor regardless of 899/1199 does read off rear wheel rotation.

As for gearing, It's going to be spinning that (slightly) heavier 200/55 tire, but the chain is only going to be handling torque loads from that 898cc engine. I'd say 520 chain and just pick a gear ratio you think is comfy.

For my type of riding, I personally think the 899 gearing is too short for comfort ; )
What exactly do you mean by that?

I only ride street, no track. What would be better for me then? More or less teeth.

·
Registered
380 Posts
What exactly do you mean by that?

I only ride street, no track. What would be better for me then? More or less teeth.
Every other forum will tell you it's personal preference. If you like how your bike feels off the line, keep the gearing the way it is.

I'm opinionated and I hate answers with no soul, so I suggest 899 gearing. The 899 engine was designed to handle the 15/44T ratio so it feels powerful off the line and torquey on streets. Keep the 520 chain.

Why? Since we don't have the 1199/1299's 200HP engine, if we used the stock 15/39 gear ratio our bikes would feel anemic. FYI the 1199/1299 guys who don't ride on the track shorten their gear ratio to 15/41 as the "sweet spot" for city/street riding.

TLDR; If you do the SSSA conversion keep the 899 sprocket ratios and chain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
no need for the adjustments. the speed sensor will register how fast the wheel is going without any modification

1 - 12 of 12 Posts