Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, one of the reoccurring niggles that some ppl have with the panigale, definitely including myself, is the twitchy, choppy, sensitive throttle.

some ppl love it...(I don't know why)
and
some ppl hate it

I've found it very hard to get used to the engine braking on the panigale, so I messed with EBC settings n such...(a totally different "issue") but I think the combination of high engine braking and a touch throttle is what really made me uncomfortable on the bike.

when hitting the curvies, I set brake and set my body position up, and then find a neutral throttle while dipping the bike into or coming out of the turn.

But the bike would buck as soon as you touched the throttle again. very unnerving when leaned over

what I've always found difficult about the panigale was find that neutral throttle. Just enough throttle to maintain speed, not accelerate or decelerate.

I've always loved the throttle sensitivity of the wet mode...but the power was also very muted. I didn't know you, up until recently) that you could match any power mode with any Engine mode.

So after putting the engine Mode "HIGH" with the "WET" mode...the bike is soooooooooo much better!
You still have all the power on tap. but the throttle is so much more compliant! so much more smooth! Easy to transition between gas and coasting without any bucking! IMO, this is how transparent the throttle should be on all the modes. [clutch]Shifting is smoother. It just has the cable 1:1 feel again compared to sport/race modes. WET/LOW is completely different than WET/HIGH

Even if you like the supersensitive throttle, I think everyone should at least try the WET/HIGH. It really made a world of difference for

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought the throttle spacers off eBay to eliminate the throttle slack and put EBC to 3 to minimize the Engine braking. It fixed the issue you described above while being able to ride in Race Mode with DTC as low as I want or off.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Try loosening your grip on the throttle and remember not to place weight on your hands. 98% of the time, this alleviates "twitchiness". : )

·
Registered
159 Posts
Or stay one gear higher ....thats what I do. I mean sure you could go down a gear to keep the RPMs around 7k so you can get a good drive out of the corner (this is track riding I am talking about BTW) but why? I am not racing I am just trying to learn and be smooth as possible and doing that really helps IMO.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for sharing. As just a casual rider who enjoys twisting that throttle, I'm definitely going to give this a shot next time I'm out!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
So isn't wet with 'high' engine the same as sport?

Wet is smooth throttle - low engine
Sport is smooth throttle - high engine
Race is full throttle - high engine

Wet, Sport, and Race are just 'buckets' to hold all your settings in one mode... at least that was what I thought. Throw in your EBC, ABS, and DTC and that comprises the mode setting.

Is this all wrong?

Reactions: Ryder

·
Registered
264 Posts

Wet, Sport, and Race are just 'buckets' to hold all your settings in one mode... at least that was what I thought. Throw in your EBC, ABS, and DTC and that comprises the mode setting.

Is this all wrong?
I am under the same impression as you. I've read nothing in the service or user manual that would indicate running the high engine setting in wet mode would effect anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am under the same impression as you. I've read nothing in the service or user manual that would indicate running the high engine setting in wet mode would effect anything.
I was under the impression If you change the engine high/med/low, you are in fact changing the throttle back to the position the OP does not like. The engine drops 48bhp in wet mode , and at first I thought that was it, but there is a MED setting, and in Sport it has the same BHP as Race, so that must be throttle.
I have Sport mode with high engine and other settings changed to what i like. basically I use sport mode as a memory setting for me, and leave race for track days, but they are very similar settings with more ABS and less engine braking in Sport.

This is how the shop explained it to me, and how I understood the manual though, on the OP.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I bought the throttle spacers off eBay to eliminate the throttle slack and put EBC to 3 to minimize the Engine braking. It fixed the issue you described above while being able to ride in Race Mode with DTC as low as I want or off.
I totally agree. The throttle was SO much more predictable and easier to use after I had the spacers installed. It's even better now that the RapidBike module has smoothened out the fuelling.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or stay one gear higher ....thats what I do. I mean sure you could go down a gear to keep the RPMs around 7k so you can get a good drive out of the corner (this is track riding I am talking about BTW) but why? I am not racing I am just trying to learn and be smooth as possible and doing that really helps IMO.
I haven't tracked this bike yet...i'm referring to regular street riding...commuting and "spirited" back roads rides. I know that on the track, things like high engine braking may be great

Thanks for sharing. As just a casual rider who enjoys twisting that throttle, I'm definitely going to give this a shot next time I'm out!
be sure to report back!

Is this all wrong?
Yes, this is what I thought as well.. but if you ever used WET mode with the default settings, you'll notice that it's not only down on power, but it's way smoother on the throttle. This isn't just a result of lower power.

You can have a choppy throttle and low power on any bike... But the throttle is very muted on the default WET/LOW mode until you really twist it. What good is a choppy throttle in the wet though, you can still slip with 100HP vs 148HP if the power delivery isn't smoothed out. And in no way is the throttle response the same between SPORT and WET.

So these modes are "buckets" yes, technically...for everything else but throttle response. I had no idea at first that you could even pair WET with HIGH engine output.
WET offers you the smoothest throttle response. Which makes sense for a mode designed for rain.
SPORT is a little more responsive/sensitive/jerky
and
RACE is extremely sensitive/abrupt

I know you guys are probably used to what you've been using..and some like the abrupt throttle...but...when you get a sec, just try the WET/HIGH (and whatever other DTC/EBC/ABS settings you like) and see if you feel a difference.

Reactions: Ugrin and vyruz

·
Registered
340 Posts
The bike's engine response is base on the setting, not the "mode" it is in. Like some have said the "modes" are just a place for you to store the settings.

If this is wrong please chime in.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was under the impression If you change the engine high/med/low, you are in fact changing the throttle back to the position the OP does not like. The engine drops 48bhp in wet mode , and at first I thought that was it, but there is a MED setting, and in Sport it has the same BHP as Race, so that must be throttle.
I have Sport mode with high engine and other settings changed to what i like. basically I use sport mode as a memory setting for me, and leave race for track days, but they are very similar settings with more ABS and less engine braking in Sport.

This is how the shop explained it to me, and how I understood the manual though, on the OP.
Not quite what I meant. My understanding is that "Wet", "Sport" and "Race" are file folders if you will. The actual ending setting is the 120lo, 195lo and 195hi. It is the engine setting that dictates things, not if its labeled "Wet" or "Race".

The OPs post assumes that putting the engine hi setting in the wet mode changes something other than the obvious power increase over the default wet mode setting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not quite what I meant. My understanding is that "Wet", "Sport" and "Race" are file folders if you will. The actual ending setting is the 120lo, 195lo and 195hi. It is the engine setting that dictates things, not if its labeled "Wet" or "Race".

The OPs post assumes that putting the engine hi setting in the wet mode changes something other than the obvious power increase over the default wet mode setting.

I see it as not increasing the power in the settings, but changes throttle response. I assumed you cant add BHP in wet mode. But I might be wrong.
I will try it out on the bike tomorrow and find out, as it should be obvious

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
This is why I referenced the smooth throttle of sport... that mode shares the response from wet and the power from race. The three default modes overlap each other with wet and race at either end and sport in the middle.

If you scan over the manual, you find a table that compares the three modes and sport is listed as having smooth throttle and full power.

Sport is no less smooth than wet mode, but wet mode does restrict the horsepower, which is what differentiates the two. Just as sport and race are at full power, but with race being immediate power and sport being the smooth delivery of wet.

My earliest post makes the distinction that it isn't just the high and low power settings that is adjusted when selecting the riding mode.

Reactions: Ugrin

·
Registered
43 Posts
Race mode

This bike only works in race mode, if you ride it the way it was meant to be ridden. If you use wet or sport mode, you should trade it in and get an adventure bike or cruiser and leave the 899 to us knee draggers.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. In your theory, putting the wet/HIGH, I would expect the exact same ride-ability and characteristics as RACE/HIGH...this is not the case

This is why I referenced the smooth throttle of sport... that mode shares the response from wet and the power from race. The three default modes overlap each other with wet and race at either end and sport in the middle.

If you scan over the manual, you find a table that compares the three modes and sport is listed as having smooth throttle and full power.

Sport is no less smooth than wet mode, but wet mode does restrict the horsepower, which is what differentiates the two. Just as sport and race are at full power, but with race being immediate power and sport being the smooth delivery of wet.

My earliest post makes the distinction that it isn't just the high and low power settings that is adjusted when selecting the riding mode.
the manual is assuming you leave the power mode on LOW with the WET...

So what happens when you put the Engine mode on HIGH in the WET mode? You're saying it still only give you 100 hp? no. I've had both modes WET/LOW and WET/HIGH...i'm telling you...it's not the same. Wet mode dictates the Throttle, that's why you can set the engine map and everything else within that mode.
If wet mode was restricted to LOW(100hp) why would you be able to change the engine map!

So , have any of you even tried it yet? I don't understand how anyone can act like i'm crazy when you can simply go and test it yourself.

Go out and take a ride on you current WET/LOW ... and then change it to WET/HIGH... then come back and tell me i'm crazy

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bike's engine response is base on the setting, not the "mode" it is in. Like some have said the "modes" are just a place for you to store the settings.

If this is wrong please chime in.
this is what everyone else is assuming yes... That if you put WET SPORT and RACE with the HIGH engine setting (and ebc/dqs/abs being equal) that the rides would be exactly the same. That throttle response is only following the engine setting... This is what I thought as well...

BUT I tried WET/HIGH... and I think most ppl didn't even realize you could change the engine map independently of the MODE.
Having compared the throttle response of WET/HIGH to RACE/HIGH and Sport/HIGH... I can definitively say that the throttle response is independent of the power mode. Hence why you can change them independently of each other...

just go try it

·
Registered
340 Posts
I guess the easiest way to do this is set all the modes to high and everything else set to the same number. Then just cycle through it to see if there is a difference.

I'm doubting it because ducati never advertise it. What you're saying is we essentially have 9 different ride modes.

But i have heard that race allows the bike to slide more than the other modes so there could be some truth to this.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I guess the easiest way to do this is set all the modes to high and everything else set to the same number. Then just cycle through it to see if there is a difference.

I'm doubting it because ducati never advertise it. What you're saying is we essentially have 9 different ride modes.

But i have heard that race allows the bike to slide more than the other modes so there could be some truth to this.
Which is a function of DTC according to the manual.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. In your theory, putting the wet/HIGH, I would expect the exact same ride-ability and characteristics as RACE/HIGH...this is not the case

the manual is assuming you leave the power mode on LOW with the WET...

So what happens when you put the Engine mode on HIGH in the WET mode? You're saying it still only give you 100 hp? no. I've had both modes WET/LOW and WET/HIGH...i'm telling you...it's not the same. Wet mode dictates the Throttle, that's why you can set the engine map and everything else within that mode.
If wet mode was restricted to LOW(100hp) why would you be able to change the engine map!

So , have any of you even tried it yet? I don't understand how anyone can act like i'm crazy when you can simply go and test it yourself.

Go out and take a ride on you current WET/LOW ... and then change it to WET/HIGH... then come back and tell me i'm crazy
No. I am not saying that.

I am telling you that by changing the engine mode to high in wet, you are getting the same smooth throttle response of wet and sport, and now your wet reacts like sport.

You can change your 'wet' mode settings to be immediate throttle and high, then change your abs, DTC, and EBC all to how they are in race mode and you will essentially have a wet setting that is identical to race.

What I am saying is that if you change the engine to high, you are essentially getting two sport modes, but with different abs, DTC, and EBC intervention settings.

You are not reading my posts and are seemingly just assuming that I am not reading yours.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts