Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a discussion with one of the Ducati reps in SLC today. I wanted to get the DL on doing you're own 600 mile service. Well it turns out I won't be doing mine due to the new software update and some other stuff I haven't done before. Actually, the Ducati guys do a lot more to for your motorcycle than I ever experience with the Honda guys (again impressed).

So the particular guy I talked to just got back from training on the new software updates and Panigale maintenance in general. There's a thread on our forum that talks about tire size with respect to the TC and how different tires will affect the way the TC works (slightly). Well the new software is suppose to take care of that and will now know what size of tire/sprocket/etc you're running based on what it should be seeing for wheel speed at a particular gear/RPM/throttle position. Very cool. He also said that the bike will "learn" as you ride it so during the service they reset it as they want to start that fresh after the break-in period.

I think what most surprised me about our conversation is that he wanted to wait to do the 600 mile service until after my track day that I had scheduled for the same time (I have to trailer my bike down to SLC from Boise for both). He says the Panigale motor NEEDS to be put through the paces before that first service which is totally contradictory to keeping it below 6K. Now I take most things people say with a grain of salt (especially in a forum), but this was a Ducati guy.

What do you guys think? Can you hit up your respective Ducati geeks and see what they are recommending?

I can't say I've been able to keep my bike below 6K anyway; it really doesn't like to be under 4k to tell you the truth and that's not a lot of RPM to work with.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I currently have a 2013 Monster 796 and the technicians here in Dallas at the premier dealer in the area suggested that I ride it as hard as I could before the 600 mile service.

I just got it back from having it done and they said that it was nice and ready to tighten back up. From what they told me, by riding it sensibly hard, the chain and cables really get a chance to be broken in so that after they do the first service, there isn't much play left and everything stays where it should.

It made sense to me at the time and now it just seems to feel like it is really broken in.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've ridden my 899 three times and have about 150 miles dodging snow drifts. I never went over 7K. First track day is next weekend and I'll probably not go over 9.5K.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Only one Ducati (an F1098S)) that I have owned started using oil at about 2000 miles. It's the only one on which I didn't follow the Ducati recommended break-in schedule. I followed it to 600 miles, then started doing track days while disregarding the 7k limitation.

Maybe I was just unlucky or it was a weird coincidence, but you can bet I'll be following Ducati's recommended schedule as I had with other my Ducs which never burned a drop.

Anyhow, it doesn't mean a thing, except that it's my experience.

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.