Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hear everyone raving about slipper clutches, so inevitably I'll get one haha.

I was wondering what all I need.

I know I need the Magnesium Clutch Cover first off.
Then I know there's the Yoyodyne or Ducabike slipper clutch.
I can change the pressure plates for personal preference right? Appearance
And then lastly the clear clutch cover.

Is that everything I'm going to need?

Also, is this something that I can do myself? IS it very difficult?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

- Guy who is spending way too much money on stuff I don't need because I see you guys do it on the forums and it looks cool :)

Reactions: craiger527

·
Registered
113 Posts
I feel your pain - all these jerks just made me buy the 1199 clutch case and the clear cover. Your list looks complete to me based on the all the reading I've been doing.

As for clutches, the ones I've seen being used are STM, EVR, Yoyo, and Ducabike - so a few more options than what you listed.

I personally don't need a slipper so I'll be putting the clear cover on and putting the red spring caps on and saving myself $1000 on not replacing the clutch. At least I think that's what I'll be able to do, once I have them drilled out to fit.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
So I hear everyone raving about slipper clutches, so inevitably I'll get one haha.

I was wondering what all I need.

I know I need the Magnesium Clutch Cover first off.
Then I know there's the Yoyodyne or Ducabike slipper clutch.
I can change the pressure plates for personal preference right? Appearance
And then lastly the clear clutch cover.

Is that everything I'm going to need?

Also, is this something that I can do myself? IS it very difficult?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

- Guy who is spending way too much money on stuff I don't need because I see you guys do it on the forums and it looks cool :)
The slipper clutch is an extremely effective way of reducing the wheel hop associated with downshifting - particularly when approaching a turn.

EBC will try and mitigate some of the transition, however I prefer to feel the engine braking effect while not having the rear wheel instability associated with the back torque, so I leave my setting at off.

So, it is a fairly expensive upgrade with minimal gains if you are only doing it for aesthetics. A purely performance upgrade would not necessarily require the two piece case, but having the capability of removing just the smaller cover makes maintenance and adjustment far easier and once you are at $1500+ in, the extra to do a clear or Woodcraft cover is minimal.

Many have performed this mod themselves, so I would look to them to chime in, however if you are going to install your exhaust, I would do the entire thing at once because you will have to remove them to get the aluminum case replaced. In fact, you could replace the case at the same time as the exhaust and wait to replace the clutch and cover until a later date... you would still benefit by reducing the weight of the case by swapping to magnesium and it would give you a chance to research which slipper you want.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If you're only looking for the benefits of a slipper clutch, you'll just need the actual slipper clutch. ;) The rest aren't strictly required:

Magnesium clutch cover: The biggest benefit with this mod is that it has a detachable cover, which allows easier access to the clutch inside. There is also a very minor weight saving (I measured a 0.36kg/0.79lbs saving). On the aesthetic side, it looks good as a magnesium piece and allows installation of the clear Ducabike cover.

Pressure plates: No need to change these at all. If you're looking for a bit of color to show through the clear Ducabike cover, you'll get it from the slipper clutch. Most come adorned with colors and detail.

A slipper clutch is just one of those things (like a quickshifter) that, if you haven't used it much before, you don't really need it; but once you have been spoiled with the convenience it provides, it is hard to go back to not having it. I think it is telling that the two biggest changes Ducati introduced to the 959 (aside from the capacity) are grippier pegs and a slipper clutch. Speaks volumes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya everyone says the slipper is way smoother. This is my daily driver, I don't track, so this will probably be last on my list. Mainly for aesthetics, cuz it looks bad ass!

To me the Ducabike slipper looks awesome, just haven't seen any reviews or comments about it, only the Yoyodyne.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The ducabike is the most blingy of them all and all of them work well.
I'm getting a Ducabike one installed with the mag cover and clear cover next week , I will let you know how it's all goes and put a couple of pics when done.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ducabike is the most blingy of them all and all of them work well.
I'm getting a Ducabike one installed with the mag cover and clear cover next week , I will let you know how it's all goes and put a couple of pics when done.
Thanks, that's the set up I planned on going with.

Reactions: Rico_D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just finished my install. It wasn't bad, took me about 6 hours. Below are some lessons learned and some pointers.

Just remove your exhaust. Yes, you can push it out of the way once the hangers are unbolted and springs removed, but it's still a PITA. It's easier just to remove it. You'll thank yourself when it comes time to neatly squish the new gasket material.

Ducabike's instructions are not perfectly translated. They forget to mention that you want to use the included grease on the ball bearings. The English instructions are missing the fact that you want to use all 6 internal and 6 external springs for street configuration.

Yes, you will have one extra aluminum friction plate when you're done.

The picture for the lock washer doesn't match what comes on the bike. It looks more like a big thick fender washer.

I was able to push all the wiring out of the way around the top of the case cover. It wasn't tough to get the new one underneath without smearing gasket material everywhere. YMMV.

I used Permatex Anaerobic gasket maker instead of the silicone they used at the factory. I also used the surface prep and activator for a quick cure. The advantage of the anaerobic stuff is that excess material washes away rather than clogs things up. One tube was enough for the whole case cover. No leaks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice. Idunno if I should attempt this haha 6 hours seems like a lot of work

·
Registered
10 Posts
What tool is everyone using for swapping out the basket? I got a $20 vise grip style job off eBay, but I feel like holding the basket by just two teeth and tightening to the 190nm is going to cause damage to the new basket. Any feedback on this?

·
Registered
106 Posts
What tool is everyone using for swapping out the basket? I got a $20 vise grip style job off eBay, but I feel like holding the basket by just two teeth and tightening to the 190nm is going to cause damage to the new basket. Any feedback on this?
Great question Mick89 ... are any special tools required to install the Ducabike slipper clutch

·
Registered
35 Posts
For those of you recommending slippers, do you know how to rev match downshifts under braking?

I've never noticed a need for a slipper but perhaps I can see there is an enhanced safety factor if you botch a rev match on track

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
For those of you recommending slippers, do you know how to rev match downshifts under braking?

I've never noticed a need for a slipper but perhaps I can see there is an enhanced safety factor if you botch a rev match on track
Yes.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Depends on how you ride. Around town? you proly wont really use it to its full advantage.
I could have lived without a slipper. Taking slop out of the throttle helps too.

When I got the TB and setup up the blipper downshift, it took a while to adjust the settings to get it to feel ride. At one point i disabled the downshift cause of how harsh the higher downshifts were. After Ive installed my slipper, and reset the TB downshift, Its been a night/day experience on my local "mountain run"

Now that the 959 has one standard points towards that Its better to have some sort of mechincal slipper than rely on the "electronic slipper"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello Trieste
With the two conical washers the one supplied from Ducabike and the OEM one what way are they supposed to go in , I'm reading the instructions from Ducabike and getting more confused.
Thanks
Rico

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great question Mick89 ... are any special tools required to install the Ducabike slipper clutch
I bought the Bellisimoto wet clutch holding tool to do mine.

Have not tried it yet but will let everyone know how it works when I do. It looks like it should work great though.

I'm going to use it for a Yoyo clutch, but not sure it's that much different.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I read that you need to hold the drive gear in place as its spring loaded or else new basket won't go in, how do you guys do that?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts