Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a used 899 that has less than 300 miles total original miles. Never had an oil change or been service. I'm thinking I should change the oil and timing belt immediately. Should I bring it in for a valve adjustment? Anything else I should service?

·
Registered
26 Posts
You shouldn't have to do the valve adjustment or timing chain (not a belt). I would change the oil, oil filter, and air filter. I would look at those tires because it sounds like they might be the original and replace those.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You shouldn't have to do the valve adjustment or timing chain (not a belt). I would change the oil, oil filter, and air filter. I would look at those tires because it sounds like they might be the original and replace those.
Thanks for the response. I brought it home yesterday and the dealer picked it up today and they suggested the same thing. Oil, filter, air filter, possibly bleed the brake, and new tires.

I do have a follow up question. I did start the bike and I notice there is a slight high pitch whine. It's not overbearing, but definitely noticeable. I presumed that's the sound of the timing chain. Is that normal?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the response. I brought it home yesterday and the dealer picked it up today and they suggested the same thing. Oil, filter, air filter, possibly bleed the brake, and new tires.

I do have a follow up question. I did start the bike and I notice there is a slight high pitch whine. It's not overbearing, but definitely noticeable. I presumed that's the sound of the timing chain. Is that normal?
Sorry for the late response. That definitely does not sound normal. Record a video and post it on youtube and add the link.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the late response. That definitely does not sound normal. Record a video and post it on youtube and add the link.
Not a problem. Unfortunately it is still at the dealer. I've informed them of the sound, they say they'll take a look and let me know. I'll post an update here when I get the result.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got an update from the dealer. Technician didn't find anything wrong, gave the bike a clean bill of health. Waiting to go pick it up in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know when I got my motorcycle I kept hearing a whine/whirr . I remember becuase I kept feeling like I was hearing a police siren in the distance. Just part of the Normal engine sounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts