Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So a few 1199 owners, and I believe a few 899 riders as well (I think it even happened to @jareljj) have had issues with the front sprocket where the bolt comes out at speed.

That is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen, and you don't want the chain to come undone and lock the wheel up at high speeds.

For peace of mind and added safety I have mine safety-wired. Thought I would share how it looks in case anyone else wants to replicate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yup, and keep an eye on the safety wire over time, I've had mine break once already. I think this is mainly a track concern, due to the extreme high rpm's and stronger torque/back-torque forces. I have yet to see one come loose on a street bike.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Good to know, just got a safety wire wrench recently. How'd you drill out the bolt?

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you use loctite on this bolt? Looks like you could double wire it for additional safety.
I did use some loctite, yeah. In hindsight I should have done double. Might redo it later.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I did use some loctite, yeah. In hindsight I should have done double. Might redo it later.
I didn't realize you had an aftermarket sprocket. The stock sprocket is a solid disc and I see a bit of surgery is required to replace the sprocket. I'll put this one on my winter list.

Do you normally attach the sprocket cover?

·
Registered
264 Posts
To you guys who are having problem with the bolt getting loose, are you replacing the thrust washer when you change the sprocket?

Locktite won't work unless you clean all of the grease out or use a type that is compatible with oil/grease.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't realize you had an aftermarket sprocket. The stock sprocket is a solid disc and I see a bit of surgery is required to replace the sprocket. I'll put this one on my winter list.

Do you normally attach the sprocket cover?
Hmm, I should have mentioned that. I forgot the stocker is solid.

I ripped the sprocket cover off and threw it away ;)

Reactions: rjjr

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yup, and keep an eye on the safety wire over time, I've had mine break once already. I think this is mainly a track concern, due to the extreme high rpm's and stronger torque/back-torque forces. I have yet to see one come loose on a street bike.
Very old post but I want to chime in…I had that bold getting lose after replacing OEM sprocket with Superlite and I only street ride/commute. Have anyone find something that works busied safety wiring the sprocket ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts