Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm losing clutch pressure when I hold in the clutch for more than 10-15 seconds, like at a red light, and after doing some research I'm thinking I have a bad master cylinder with the piston leaking fluid back into the system. I have no external leaks or loss of fluid from the reservoir. I've also tried bleeding it without any luck.

I've been looking all over for a write up or you tube video for how to swap it out with a new one and haven't been able to find anything. I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction or offer any advice. I'm a little concerned with how to transfer the switch on it if the new one doesn't come with it, or whether to just cut and splice if it does come with one. Other than the switch it seems pretty straightforward, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Any advice would be much appreciated. It's a 2014 899, recently purchased with 3500 miles.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'm losing clutch pressure when I hold in the clutch for more than 10-15 seconds, like at a red light, and after doing some research I'm thinking I have a bad master cylinder with the piston leaking fluid back into the system. I have no external leaks or loss of fluid from the reservoir. I've also tried bleeding it without any luck.

I've been looking all over for a write up or you tube video for how to swap it out with a new one and haven't been able to find anything. I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction or offer any advice. I'm a little concerned with how to transfer the switch on it if the new one doesn't come with it, or whether to just cut and splice if it does come with one. Other than the switch it seems pretty straightforward, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Any advice would be much appreciated. It's a 2014 899, recently purchased with 3500 miles.

Is it still under warranty? The clutch master on my 899 sprang an external leak and my dealer replaced the master and my fairings at no cost to me. I would check out having it covered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[/quote]

Is it still under warranty? The clutch master on my 899 sprang an external leak and my dealer replaced the master and my fairings at no cost to me. I would check out having it covered.[/QUOTE]

I just bought it used last week, so I'm not really sure. Will check with the previous owner.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If it isn't, you might want to look into getting an RPM or Ever Red extended warranty depending on how long you intend to own it. It could save you $$$ in the long run. My bill, after the nose, left upper, and left lower were replaced was over $2500 with labor. Of course, your situation is different, but depending on the dealer and the relationship you build with their service department, they can be your guardian angel.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Maryland. I can do quite a bit of stuff myself, or at least I could on my old 748, so not sure I'll drop the cash on a warranty, and I found out the two years ended about a week ago so I may call Ducati and see what they'll do for me. But does anybody have a link to a write up or video? There's gotta be something out there

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am not an expert, but it sounds like a leak in the clutch master hydraulic pump. I haven't had the same problem, but I found the stock clutch lever quite hard, especially when you have to continuously hold it in the urban traffic. I changed with a clutch master with bigger diameter (30mm instead of 26mm). Smooth and perfect switch for the track as well was the result. Cost point around 150 USD. Is it an option?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not an expert, but it sounds like a leak in the clutch master hydraulic pump. I haven't had the same problem, but I found the stock clutch lever quite hard, especially when you have to continuously hold it in the urban traffic. I changed with a clutch master with bigger diameter (30mm instead of 26mm). Smooth and perfect switch for the track as well was the result. Cost point around 150 USD. Is it an option?
A leak in the master piston, right? What brand did you use? Yeah, I started this thread looking for info on how to change it out. Want to do it myself. Did you have it done or do it yourself?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ive swap Slave cyclinder to Oberon and have found it very good.
I did order a new Titanium nipple set and a RCS master cyclinder at same time, but they sent the wrong Master cyclinder one. I ended up getting a refund as I find I havtn had to bleed the clutch system since doing this Slave clylinder swap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ive swap Slave cyclinder to Oberon and have found it very good.
I did order a new Titanium nipple set and a RCS master cyclinder at same time, but they sent the wrong Master cyclinder one. I ended up getting a refund as I find I havtn had to bleed the clutch system since doing this Slave clylinder swap.
I'm looking to switch out the stock slave for the Oberon slave as well. Can you tell me generally what steps you took to do this or point me in the direction of a detailed writ-up? Thanks much.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm looking to switch out the stock slave for the Oberon slave as well. Can you tell me generally what steps you took to do this or point me in the direction of a detailed writ-up? Thanks much.
From memory It come with instructions...

Also you can search these forums and download the workshop manual.

·
Registered
78 Posts
From memory It come with instructions...

Also you can search these forums and download the workshop manual.
Thanks. I actually got it and installed it already using the instructions and shop manual. Everything seemed to go well but there's a limp portion in my clutch pull now. The first 20% is loose and then it stiffens up. I have a video below.

Did this happen to you? or do you have any idea why this might've happened for me?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks. I actually got it and installed it already using the instructions and shop manual. Everything seemed to go well but there's a limp portion in my clutch pull now. The first 20% is loose and then it stiffens up. I have a video below.

Did this happen to you? or do you have any idea why this might've happened for me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pQWQsa29sA
Did you bleed is fully after? bleed the Slave cylinder then Master cylinder?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you bleed is fully after? bleed the Slave cylinder then Master cylinder?
Yeah I did until the bleeder hose was filled about six inches with solid fluid. Is it possible there is still an air bubble deeper down my clutch line that I didn't get out? To clarify again, I did bleed both the slave and then the master. I attached a picture of the bleeder hose. This was my first time bleeding a hydraulic system, so let me know if you see anything I did wrong. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah I did until the bleeder hose was filled about six inches with solid fluid. Is it possible there is still an air bubble deeper down my clutch line that I didn't get out? To clarify again, I did bleed both the slave and then the master. I attached a picture of the bleeder hose. This was my first time bleeding a hydraulic system, so let me know if you see anything I did wrong. Thanks!
Did you hold the the lever in, then close the nipple, release the lever and repeat a couple of times? Sounds like still have air in system.

Bleed the MC first, then the SC.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you hold the the lever in, then close the nipple, release the lever and repeat a couple of times? Sounds like still have air in system.

Bleed the MC first, then the SC.
Yeah I bled using that procedure. I pumped the clutch 5-6 times, held the clutch in while cracking bleeder nipple 1/4 turn, then closed bleeder before releasing clutch lever and repeating. The only thing I did differently was bleeding the slave before the master. If you don't mind helping me further, why is it important to bleed the master first?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts