Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to access the sprocket for cleaning. I am assuming the left footplate needs to be removed for sprocket access, but the manual is ambiguous.
I'm attaching a picture for reference.

The green bracket shows what I want to remove.

The red arrow points to some odd star screw. The manual doesn't really mention removing this screw to remove the footplate. It only mentions removing the 6mm screws directly on the footplate and then it shows a picture of the footplate sliding out (second attached pic). But how is this possible? Doesn't this odd screw hold the footplate to the swingarm rocker (purple arrow)?

Removal of the rocker would cause the bike to sag off my stand, and I doubt people are removing integral structures just to get access to the sprocket.
So I was wondering if anyone has any insight?

Alternatively; anyone know what the odd screw is?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The fastener indicated by your red arrow is a torx T-60
I have had that green part removed a few times.There are 2 ways that I used.Both involve totally relaxing the rear suspension.I think I have seen a YouTube video possibly doing it another way (to relax the suspension).Relaxing the rear suspension allows you to safely remove all those fasteners and brackets that you would need to get into the sprocket.One way is to hoist up the rear of the bike from the subframe under the seat.I used a ratchet strap on each side of the rear subframe to a solid rafter in the garage.The front wheel is in a wheel chock.I think YouTuber chaseon2wheels on his 959 wrecked bike rebuild used this method to remove these components for powder coating but he did not have a rafter so he built a temporary scaffold to lift from.As far as the other way,I'll post over the weekend as I have the items located elsewhere and I need to measure them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fastener indicated by your red arrow is a torx T-60
I have had that green part removed a few times.There are 2 ways that I used.Both involve totally relaxing the rear suspension.I think I have seen a YouTube video possibly doing it another way (to relax the suspension).Relaxing the rear suspension allows you to safely remove all those fasteners and brackets that you would need to get into the sprocket.One way is to hoist up the rear of the bike from the subframe under the seat.I used a ratchet strap on each side of the rear subframe to a solid rafter in the garage.The front wheel is in a wheel chock.I think YouTuber chaseon2wheels on his 959 wrecked bike rebuild used this method to remove these components for powder coating but he did not have a rafter so he built a temporary scaffold to lift from.As far as the other way,I'll post over the weekend as I have the items located elsewhere and I need to measure them.
So this means you can't change the sprocket on a rear paddock stand; you need a rig like you described.

Of course ducati did this. But what I dont understand is why no one else has complained about this on the forums.

But anyways, thanks man. How hard was it to put the T60 back in? The parts diagram makes it look like there's a bunch of bushings in there.

I'll check chaseon2wheels's youtube channel.

If you have time over the weekend to post the second method I would appreciate it. But don't go crazy measuring; because it's starting to look too involved (nothing sturdy in my garage I can tie too). Maybe ill get a sky lift eventually.

I really appreciate it dude

·
Registered
41 Posts
Chaseon2wheels season 4,episode 23. I think you can replace sprocket without re moving all those items.Iwas just replying to your question regarding removing the items you mentioned and coloured.Have you tried removing the lower fairing to see if you can then remove the black plastic cover for access? Hopefully someone else has first hand experience with that and can help.What I am certain of is,that IF you do,in fact have to remove part #6 (from your second picture) you must relax the rear suspension.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok.if you need to remove bracket #6 another way to relax the rear suspension to get the pieces off is by using 2 metal rods about 8-12"long.
One is 5/8"diameter and the other 13/16" in diameter. (5/8 is common but 13/16" is not however it is available).Just like the other way the front wheel must be fastened down in chock or clamped on lift table.
With both sides lower fairings removed,insert the 13/16" shaft into the left hand side (#6 bracket)hole and the same on the right hand side bracket using the 5/8" shaft. (I had to slightly sand it to fit).
Raise the rear of the bike up via your rear stand.Using 2 automotive jack stands,place one under each shaft.Close to bike on right side but youwill need to space the left one out from the bike in order to slide the bracket off to get you the room you need.Small thicknesses of plywood under each jack as needed to get both stands just right so bike will horizontal when sitting on the stands.Then remove rear stand allowing weight of rear of bike to sit on the shafts/jackstands.You only need the rear tire to be slightly off the ground.I put a thin piece of plywood under the rear tire to slightly lift it to remove and tension from it hanging.You can now remove all the suspension parts ect that will allow you to slide bracket #6 off onto the shaft to get access.
It helps if you have some one to assist.And slightly loosen all the fasteners involved before you start lifting the bike up and do final torqueing once bike is back on the ground.Hope this helps.any questions let me know.You can do it another 2 ways but I don't like those ways at all.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chaseon2wheels season 4,episode 23. I think you can replace sprocket without re moving all those items.Iwas just replying to your question regarding removing the items you mentioned and coloured.Have you tried removing the lower fairing to see if you can then remove the black plastic cover for access? Hopefully someone else has first hand experience with that and can help.What I am certain of is,that IF you do,in fact have to remove part #6 (from your second picture) you must relax the rear suspension.
Found the video and bookmarked it, thank you, gonna watch it tonight or tomorrow.

Yes I took off the rear left fairing, removed both sprocket-cover screws, and then said "screw it that ain't getting out of there".

To be honest I did get the cover off a couple years ago when I was changing the muffler, but I remember the footplate making it very hard to do a thorough cleaning of the drivetrain. Even the chain slider was a ***** to remove and reinstall. So I should have clarified my original post; I was wondering how people get a clean shot at the sprocket (like the attached picture) without removing the swingarm support. Probably not possible though lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok.if you need to remove bracket #6 another way to relax the rear suspension to get the pieces off is by using 2 metal rods about 8-12"long.
One is 5/8"diameter and the other 13/16" in diameter. (5/8 is common but 13/16" is not however it is available).Just like the other way the front wheel must be fastened down in chock or clamped on lift table.
With both sides lower fairings removed,insert the 13/16" shaft into the left hand side (#6 bracket)hole and the same on the right hand side bracket using the 5/8" shaft. (I had to slightly sand it to fit).
Raise the rear of the bike up via your rear stand.Using 2 automotive jack stands,place one under each shaft.Close to bike on right side but youwill need to space the left one out from the bike in order to slide the bracket off to get you the room you need.Small thicknesses of plywood under each jack as needed to get both stands just right so bike will horizontal when sitting on the stands.Then remove rear stand allowing weight of rear of bike to sit on the shafts/jackstands.You only need the rear tire to be slightly off the ground.I put a thin piece of plywood under the rear tire to slightly lift it to remove and tension from it hanging.You can now remove all the suspension parts ect that will allow you to slide bracket #6 off onto the shaft to get access.
It helps if you have some one to assist.And slightly loosen all the fasteners involved before you start lifting the bike up and do final torqueing once bike is back on the ground.Hope this helps.any questions let me know.You can do it another 2 ways but I don't like those ways at all.
If you're using the the 13/16 shaft into the #6 bracket then you're using the bracket as support, so how would you remove the bracket? (since that is the goal)

Also, when you say the front wheel must be clamped, that means a pitbull front stand or a triple tree stand won't work, correct?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your using the "pivot pin thing" that bracket #6 clamps AROUND to hold the weight.See your last picture you posted.See how the swingarm is attached using that hollow pivot pin thing?That hollow pin that the 13/16" piece of shaft is in holds the swingarm to the engine.The stresses on the bracket are from the rear suspension.It will be more understandable after watching the video.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh yea.you really need a chock for the front wheel.To risky using a regular stand ect..I made one out 2 pieces of 2 x 4's after seeing a homemade one youtube.I also had the chock against a wall to stop any forward movement.

·
Registered
334 Posts
So just thinking out loud here…Is the fact that we’re removing only left side food plate means that we still need to suspend the bike since we’re not removing anything on the right side ? Or the because the rear shock is the one holding the swing arm to the subframe is the reason we’re going throughout all that trouble ? Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your using the "pivot pin thing" that bracket #6 clamps AROUND to hold the weight.See your last picture you posted.See how the swingarm is attached using that hollow pivot pin thing?That hollow pin that the 13/16" piece of shaft is in holds the swingarm to the engine.The stresses on the bracket are from the rear suspension.It will be more understandable after watching the video.
Ah, that makes sense, thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts