Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no need to for the rear pegs, and really want to get rid of them and the mounts. Are there any issues/challenges or other considerations that I should take into account prior to taking it off? It sounds like some of the tail tidies use the assembly as a mounting point, and that's another mod that's on my list. Has anyone done this already, and if so, any suggestions on the process?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have no need to for the rear pegs, and really want to get rid of them and the mounts. Are there any issues/challenges or other considerations that I should take into account prior to taking it off? It sounds like some of the tail tidies use the assembly as a mounting point, and that's another mod that's on my list. Has anyone done this already, and if so, any suggestions on the process?

Got my bike delivered without the pegs! Bike looks great without them, no issue not having them on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi

Removing mine was the first thing I did, literally 2 minute job - just need an allen key.

I've not done the tail tidy yet and the ones I'm looking at (Ducati or Evotech) don't seem to use the pillion assembly as a mounting point. I'm in the UK though so sadly not allowed to put our plates back nearer the exhaust so perhaps that makes a difference?

I'm sure someone here will have the info you need :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nobody has mentioned it so I will the one bolt is accessed through the heat shield for the exhaust, there is a hole there.... I second the socket set approach if you have a 3/8 drive ratchet and allen key to match use that...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To finish off, I used some M8 nylon/plastic grub screws so no chance of any dirt getting into the empty pillion screw holes.
You must be a mind reader, because I was thinking about how I was going to keep crap out of the threads...;) Thanks for all the input guys. It's coming off this weekend.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gone...thanks for the advice, if only I had followed all of it. I didn't put anything under the bolts, and of course the last one got away from me. After all the cussing, I had to grab my telescopic magnet out and dig around for a good 10 minutes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Odds are its sitting in between the exhaust cans. Happens to me once or twice when I put the rear pegs back on. If u have a long enough screw driver, go in from the bottom starting from the front of the exhaust and sweep backwards. It should push it to a gap big enough to drop out.

Or if u have one of those magnetic wands, you can go in from the rear brake side and sweep the top of the cans. And the magnet should grab the bolt for ya.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've taken my rear pegs off. The only thing I would point out is that you need to but a bolt back into the hole otherwise it will get clogged and the bolts that come out are to long without the pegs, therefore ideally you will need to bung the holes with shorter bolts

·
Registered
337 Posts
To finish off, I used some M8 nylon/plastic grub screws so no chance of any dirt getting into the empty pillion screw holes.
You are not afraid that they could melt inside the screw holes with the heat this bike puts ?
I just took mine off and was thinking what to do to fill the holes when I saw this post ....

·
Registered
139 Posts
You are not afraid that they could melt inside the screw holes with the heat this bike puts ?
I just took mine off and was thinking what to do to fill the holes when I saw this post ....
I used some hex threaded inserts from the local hardware store with some thread locker. Inexpensive, readily available and sit nice and flush.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As the rest have stated, super easy. One tip tho. Place a shop towel over the higher and down to the exhaust. If u drop a bolt when removing the rear peg mount, it has a chance of falling all the way down in between the mufflers and can be a hassle to retrieve them. The towel catches them nicely.

Oh man, I was just searching the forums for something along the lines of this. I was removing the OEM fender and lost one of the 4mm allen bolts. I looked all over and as of now, I'm going to assume it's lost in between the mufflers. I tried shaking the bike around and don't hear it at all.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.