Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how to describe the noise, but last night when i was cleaning and lubing my chain I noticed that at the same spot in the wheel rotation I was getting a weird creaking noise. Almost sounds like marbles. Anyone have any idea what this might be? I was thinking bad wheel bearing but im not sure. Here is a video...

http://youtu.be/PMLBDlQHLUw

You can hear the noise happen 3 times. The first and the third are the most audible ones.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
hmm that is weird...I don't have a clue

·
Registered
62 Posts
That sounds like a tight spot on the chain. Rotate the wheel until you hit that sound and check the tension of the chain on the upper side and lower. My chain has "stretched" a bit in various spots which makes adjusting slack a pain in the arse.

But that creaking sound def sounds like a tight chain. Also check the lateral left/right movement. A tight spot may also mean the rear wheel is out of being true and the rear sprocket is at a slight angle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes sense. Based on the fact it was occurring at the same spot in the wheel rotation (not the chain rotation), I wonder if it's like you mentioned where the wheel is slightly off true.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use a micrometer to check the distance from the rear axle member to the axle. They should be equal on both sides. If you don't have a micrometer, the stick part of a tire gauge works great too. Just make sure there are the same amount of tic marks.

And the easiest way I find to check chain tension is put it in gear and roll the bike back until it stops. Check chain slack there and adjust if needed. I'll usually check in 3 spots and adjust from the tightest one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:
I took it to a reputable shop that deals a lot with Ducati's.. they told me it was a normal noise and that it had something to do with the chain lightly binding against/ releasing from the sprocket.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi all
I'm having issue similar to the one described here . I can here the clicking when I start going on the bike and it's actually more like popping. I adjusted the chain and all and there it's still a spot where it gets tide when start turning the wheel. Is it possible the rear sprocket to be bend or something because when I put the bike on rear stand and in gear there is a very little not really a wobble but the sprocket shift back and forth from perfect vertical plain? Thanks for all your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last update (hopefully)...

Found a post on the scrambler forum. The video in the post seems to exactly match the sound I have been hearing since 2015. In their case, the rear wheel bearings were to blame. My bike is going in for a chain and sprocket replacement very soon, so Ill just have them swap the bearings out as well.

https://www.scramblerforum.com/threads/rear-wheel-creaking-clunking.29439/

·
Registered
33 Posts
it is normal. mine will squeak sometimes, not very often.
the click is from the chain, totally normal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which seals?

Do you have a part number for the bearings?
See attached picture, looks like part 12 is the bearing. Also, The dust seals go along with the wheel bearings. If you have your wheel bearings replaced they have to remove the seals to get the bearings out.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts