Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

R1 vs 899

25K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  D-StyleNZL 
#1 ·
I currently have a 12 r1 and am looking for what others experience is with the swap is who have riden both. I love my bike but am looking for comparisons. Can't beat the 899s looks

#4 ·
I came from a 2010 R1 which i purchased new and put 30,000kms on her. I still have her.

Like others said the only thing you will miss from the R1 is the mid range power. When in traffic the overtaking on the R1 and its power delivery is great. But it's still a big fat heavy dog to ride.

The 899 is so agile and smooth. Getting it off the line is alot easier and more fun than the R1, also it has a smooth gearbox unlike the clunky yamaha gear boxes. The 899 will put a HUGE smile on your face everytime you get on it. Trust me you will not miss the R1's power after a few days on the 899.

I sometimes jump back on the R1 to keep the wheels turned and battery charge for a quick spin around the block and honestly i don't miss the power anymore.

So to answer your question. You will not miss the R1 at all.

#8 ·
1st gear wheelies, no clutch is the only thing I miss. I had a 2003 R1 10 years ago and I could pull up the front end without issue without a clutch. Love my 899 now and wouldnt trade it but every bike has a compromise of sorts.

As a whole the 899 is a more enjoyable bike to ride, looks, electronics, sound, lightweight, low slung exhaust…..just a few reasons to favor the 899.

#11 ·
with no DTC, my wheel comes up in first and 2nd with stock exhaust. Took it to a drag strip and the super tacky surface makes the front come up through 3rd if you're pinning the throttle and taking the revs all the way up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.