Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has the 1199 S, and I noticed that it sounded considerably quieter than before its first service (1000km / 600miles).

I just picked up my 899 today after its first service and noticed the same thing. It sounds to me as though it is 20-30% quieter, than the day I took it in for the service.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Can anyone explain why/how this would occur?

Almost makes me think that there has been some kind of change in the map.

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't noticed a change in DB at all. In fact, sometimes (depending on surrounding objects) the noise doesn't reverberate as loud when I start the bike. I do however continue get looks from people as if they heard me a block away prior to seeing me.

Helmet changes, perhaps hearing sensitivity, or low rpm are playing a part... Mind over DB for that matter...

My Ducati dealer has a 1199 S demo bike and that thing is way louder then mine (though I don't know how many miles its logged).

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just prior to bringing mine in for its first service, I thought I noticed a significant difference in the 'tone'. Turns out, the wire that controls the 'flaps' in the exhaust system had worked its way loose. After the service, it sounded much better; although I also kind of felt like it wasn't quite as loud.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I kinda feel the same thing actually. This might be a bit dumb, but I know some cars has their ECU's giving the engine a little bit more fuel in the "break in" periode. Maybe Ducati does this too, and maybe this could be the reason?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Eh, mine started to feel better and sound better after about 2K miles after everything was fully broken in. It was a tiny bit better after the first service, but that may just be placebo, I don't see how it could have been. The gear box for sure gets quieter and smoother as the miles rack up and with some nice fresh oil.

Far as I know, the Ducati ECU's do NOT have some special map just for during break-in until first service. I'm 99.99% sure of it.

Just everything finally getting enough miles and heat cycles plus the fresh oil will make a bit of difference. I know from about 1,200 miles until 2K miles I started to gain more top end power and after 2K it finally seemed to hit it's peak. After 2K power wheelies in 1st and 2nd were hella fun :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would like to get a group together in Colorado to compare each 899 sound to see if there is a difference. How else can we really know for sure? :)

Who's down to meet up in Colorado? I'm based in Denver
I'm in Zürich, Switzerland. But yeah happy to compare with anyone who is around the area. I'll bring my db meter :D

I suspect it must be something to do with the exhaust flaps. Maybe as part of the first service, the map was updated causing these flaps to engage at additional ranges now (i.e. idle through to 5-6k revs maybe). Just a hypothesis at the moment...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[REASON FOUND] so having spoken to my ducati dealer he confirmed that they updated the map while my bike was in for the first service. Apparently it closes the exhaust flaps more at idle / lower revs, but also improves performance slightly.

The service paperwork listen every single detail of the first service (even o-rings), however nothing regarding a new map was listed.

Subjectively speaking, I'm not happy this was changed without my prior knowledge / agreement, however the sound levels are more to my liking now - still bloody loud but not deafening.

In terms of re-acquiring the original map, I would assume you would be in your right to have this. Else other custom performance maps (also offered by some ducati dealers) may work.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I read through this thread in preparation for my first service, and for me at least, the bike has definitely got louder after the first service.

I know the Decibels app on the iPhone isn't accurate, but I used it anyway to see if there was a measurable difference before and after service. As you can see from the screenshots below, it definitely went up after first service.

I also took a short video of a cold start before and after first service. Here's a 20 second video I compiled. The 'after' sounds louder to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
**** yah I just did my oil change and filter and cleaned my in air filter! Started my boy up and it's way quiter I was thinking something was wrong no check lights though. I'm at 5,586 did about 6 oil changes and oil filters in past two months and never sounded this quiet! But owell ill get it looked at.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Found problem servo motor was stuck closed! But I disconnected servo electrical cable and turned on then off plugged it back up and then disconnected power to bike for 15mins hooked back up and started working again! Phew

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.