Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that my quickshifter started to behave weirdly. I found another thread where some report the quickshifter not working at all, but this issue is different:

It sometimes won't shift up, regardless of the current rpms. It's like the DQS is switched off, the shift lever simply won't move an inch. Then again on other occasions (during the same ride, ignition not switched off) it will work flawlessly as long as I don't exceed a certain rpm range.

On a ride today I tried analysing this behaviour, this is what I've found:

- The quickshifter will work most of the time (but not always) when below 6000rpm.
- It will work sporadically when between 6000 and 8000rpm.
- It will never work above ~9000rpm.
- When accelerating very hard and going over 9000(-ish), then lowering the rpms it immediately won't work regardless of the revs, then a while later it works again according to the observations above. I am using the system correctly (i.e. holding the throttle open while quickshifting).

It's really strange and not being able to use the DQS takes away a lot of the riding experience. The bike has 6000km (~3200mi) on the clock and is 11 months old.

Anybody noticed something similar or has any hints what it could be?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Just another set of data points. I've had some sporadic issues with DQS not working. Haven't been able to figure out the behaviour but suffice it to say it hasn't worked 100% of the time for me (but I don't use it all that much either).

·
Registered
249 Posts
I always thought the quickshifter was garbage on the street, and unnecessary. I disabled it when I swapped to reverse shift and made a new shift rod, shift assy has no play it it anymore and clutch + throttle manipulation ought to be second nature to most riders anyway.

Disable it and don't look back imo

·
Registered
340 Posts
Its probably the switch on the shift rod. If you do a search a few guys have had issues and I recently had mine replaced by Ducati under warranty.

You don't really need it and it is a bit gimmicky but man is it fun flat shifting through the gears and listening to the Termis pop.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I thought I read somewhere (either on the forum or in the 899 handbook) that quick shifts should be performed at or around 10,000 RPM.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I always thought the quickshifter was garbage on the street, and unnecessary. I disabled it when I swapped to reverse shift and made a new shift rod, shift assy has no play it it anymore and clutch + throttle manipulation ought to be second nature to most riders anyway.

Disable it and don't look back imo
Luddite! Everyone, get him! :p

Sorry OP, I haven't had this issue and agree that it would take a lot away from the riding experience. I would take the bike straight to the dealership and get them to look into it. I'd also stay away from more DQS use - an unpredictable DQS is a scary thing in my book.

·
Registered
249 Posts
LOL! :p

Sorry, but I'm finding that a lot of the high tech parts of this bike seem to detract from it more than add to it. ABS that makes the brakes feel like they are working through pudding, a quickshifter that is useless on the street, unless you are riding in a way that could see you in jail (though it does sound cool when you're fanging it, I'll admit) and feels slushy, traction control that I've honestly only ever had kick in when it wasn't really needed in anything but race mode, suspension that bucks the trend and is valved and sprung too soft for the street and WAY too soft for the track... don't get me wrong, I LOVE this bike, but the tech pack is below par. If there was an option to buy the bike without all the fluff, I'd be all over it like a rash on a hooker, but as it is I seem to be disabling it all as I go and feeling an improvement every time.

Just my opinion, don't really mind if you flame on, hope you get your issue solved OP :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've recently started having issues with my quickshifter as well. It seems to act up and not allow upshifts at redline- but only after lots of use. For instance, the last two sessions of my last track day. At first I thought it was due to inadvertent pressure on the lever prior to shifting (as if I was squeezing the bike too much). It happened again on a couple of spirited rides- the shift lever won't budge when I'm really on the throttle. The problem with trying to isolate this (intermittent) glitch is that it's not safe or legal to try to replicate it on the street. I can't drop it off at the dealer with instructions to "hit redline in 4th gear and you'll see". Anyway, I've got another track day lined up this month and will definitely be paying close attention to the circumstances if it acts up again!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well OP- after today's ride I can confirm that my QS acts up in almost the exact way! The only difference is that my QS consistently works at lower rpms.
I had to rule out that I wasn't doing something wrong/different as the rider. I slowed to 50mph in 2nd gear, then pinned it, hit the the first red bar and calmly tried to shift- the lever would not budge with multiple attempts. Even as I slowed it wouldn't work- had to use the clutch.

Will reference this thread when I take it to the shop in couple of days...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did either of you guys ever resolve the problem and if so what was the solution?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've had a similar issue but only in one situation. It seems like the same symptoms but mine are much less severe. It only does it on the 2-3 shift, above 10k rpm and if I used DQS for the 1-2 shift. If I use the clutch for the 1-2 shift everything is fine.

Now that I think about it, I'm probably never using DQS at high RPM in higher gears since I'm on the street. That's why I only experience the issue on 2-3. I'm going to have them check it out at the 7500 mile service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts