Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stand corrected, but I've been told that with a Tuneboy map you can also do clutchless down shifts........now that would be cool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I guess I could be wrong.....but when you see this quick shifter work both ways it's something else.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Well I guess I could be wrong.....but when you see this quick shifter work both ways it's something else.
It has always been said that for quickshifters you are able to shift clutchless only upwards but not down. I have looked in to the matter but everyone just says it damages the transmission but not with detail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has always been said that for quickshifters you are able to shift clutchless only upwards but not down. I have looked in to the matter but everyone just says it damages the transmission but not with detail.
I hear you but I guess that was technology does. Watched the guys at Protwin on the dyno with the latest Beemer and Tuneboy map and it blips the throttle on down shift, just the sweetest shift and they reckon we can do it on the 899, just must have fly wire throttle. Could be wrong but it's worth investigating.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have heard as well but I don't think it is feasible in the long run imo. Got a friend with a CBR1000RR who has a similar system. Long story short..had to order a new gearbox. The clutch is there for a reason.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have heard as well but I don't think it is feasible in the long run imo. Got a friend with a CBR1000RR who has a similar system. Long story short..had to order a new gearbox. The clutch is there for a reason.
I agree jumpman, down shifting is going against the natural direction of the moving parts your just asking for trouble if I must say.

Im happy to use my clutch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you see the video of the Beemer on the dyno doing the clutchless downshifts, you realise how clever this technology is, the Tuneboy matches the throttle blip to the speed of the tranny, just the sweetest change. The guy who owns the above bike just loves it on the track and Protwin say it's no problem fitting it on the 899.

·
Registered
436 Posts

I have been giving the quick shift a bit of a go but quite hard here in HK as roads are not suited for fast riding. Loving the up shift! Tried with down and as others have said doesn't let you......i think changing down without using clutch would feel unnatural.
Was at Macau GP not long ago and hearing those guys go full pelt and shifting just sounds awesome.

How can I upload a video clip on here?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Since the 899 has no slipper..... keep the clutch to play with ya rear wheel. If you would shift early with the blipper you wish you would have used the clutch lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Tuneboy Quickshifter on both mine and the wifes bike's the down shift blip is nifty but i tend to hand "blip" in the lower gears as its much smoother.

Another thing with the tuneboy maps on the 899 you can adjust the kill time of the OEM Ducati Quick Shifter as i reckon its a bit long/slow stock. Obviolsy the DQS is upshift only.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts