Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Sometimes I get like a double cut out, talk about hella dangerous on fast mountain turns. Of course it still goes out of one gear but not into the next and the engine hits the rev limiter, but that's just me not being firm enough.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Sometimes I get like a double cut out, talk about hella dangerous on fast mountain turns. Of course it still goes out of one gear but not into the next and the engine hits the rev limiter, but that's just me not being firm enough.
Don't underestimated the impact of adjusting your shifter lever even a few MM to make it easier to engage, it makes a huge difference. I've had guys at the track think there was something wrong with their transmission, hitting false neutrals all the time, gearbox feels clunky, etc. and after moving the shift lever to suit their foot position better all those problems went away. At least a dozen times I'd say, so I always offer that up as the first piece of advice to anyone having shifting issues. The Superquadro engine has one of the smoothest shifting transmissions in the history of motorcycles, so you shouldn't be suffering in this area if everything is set up correctly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't underestimated the impact of adjusting your shifter lever even a few MM to make it easier to engage, it makes a huge difference. I've had guys at the track think there was something wrong with their transmission, hitting false neutrals all the time, gearbox feels clunky, etc. and after moving the shift lever to suit their foot position better all those problems went away. At least a dozen times I'd say, so I always offer that up as the first piece of advice to anyone having shifting issues. The Superquadro engine has one of the smoothest shifting transmissions in the history of motorcycles, so you shouldn't be suffering in this area if everything is set up correctly.
i find its only clunky using the QS at lower RPMS, and even that is only half the time, all in all the shifting is very smooth, if you do adjust the pedal be sure to only use the nut nearest the shifter, the one nearest the gearbox adjusts the tension on the QS, if you over tighten it you will get a check engine light and will have to readjust it

·
Registered
723 Posts
You're totally right because when I ride wearing my big steel toed work boots, it's flawless. When I wear my riding boots or sneakers, yeah, slop.

I'll look into how to adjust it for sure. Thanks!

I totally agree on the transmission, much better than my 848 and makes my friends CBR1000RR feel like a total POS lol.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks Jarel.

Tried this no good. Its got to go back to have the exhaust valve fixed anyway so they can fix this as the same time.
Mine doesn't work either, dealer looking at it with 1st service
Any luck either of you guys? I just had mine stop working as well. Just went out for a ride and it's completely not working. Tried toggling the DQS on and off and switching modes and still nothing. It's very odd as it was working flawlessly yesterday and I go out for a ride tonight and it's just toast right out of the gate.

Two days of sun coming up here too, I really don't feel like having to leave my bike at the dealers :mad:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just can't get both locking nuts to loosen up to adjust the shifter. Well, at least one of them. It's the side that has NO room to even turn and loosen up. Looks like I'll need a thinner wrench to fit in there

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
That's not a locknut, it's the nut that holds the switch in, don't touch it. Easiest way to adjust is just take bolt out of the heim joint on the back end, loosen the locknut, spin the joint in our out to your desired length, then tighten the locknut back up and reinstall the bolt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey did you get it sorted? Mine has totally stopped working and is being repaired as we speak, part coming in this week! Something about a linkage, I called Ducati in Italy and raised a complaint in any case.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Do you find that you have to make the shift lever longer or shorter?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my quick shifter not working out of the blue. I took the cover off the quick shifter, and found that the rubber part of the switch was skewed. So, when shifting the switch would not be engaged. I straightened the rubber bit, and went for a ride. A few shifts later it stopped working again. I'm having my 600 mile service done later today. Should be interesting to hear what the techs will have to say about it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do you find that you have to make the shift lever longer or shorter?
Neither nor, just adjust it a bit higher or lower, depends on your personal likings.
I always have to adjust it much lower than it gets delivered to me, cause I can't get the tip of my foot the way up like it is required. So in order to shift properly I always have to lift my entire leg instead of just the foot. To make it suitable to my needs adjusting the shift lever downward is always the first thing to do for me, when getting a new bike. After that shifting is a breeze. Especially with the perfectly aligned gearbox of our 899.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well my quickshift stopped working after the first service.

Took it back to the dealer and they stripped and cleaned it and now it works like a charm once more.

Their only advise was to keep the water away from it when washing the bike.

I'm guessing the shift rod sticks and it can't work the switch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.