Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals. I'm a pretty hefty guy about 280. Wondering what the weight limit would be for a passenger. Got a cute chick wanting a ride next time we go out. Not sure if I want to take the bike but need to know the capacity. Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Found this in the owners manual...

Gross Vehicle Weight is 816 pounds
Wet weight with 90% fuel 425 pounds

816 - 425 = 391 load capacity

391 - you at 280 = 111 pounds for the passenger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done 2000km of riding in less than a year. Got my bike last September. So hasn't been on road that long. Got a track day coming up in June to get better as well. I personally rather take my jeep. Bike gets hot as ****. Not confidence inspiring after long ride lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
Never had a passenger before. Any tips?
Make sure they know to relax and lean with the bike. Tell them not to fight it, bad things can happen.

Have fun!!!!

·
Site Vendor
194 Posts
Found this in the owners manual...

Gross Vehicle Weight is 816 pounds
Wet weight with 90% fuel 425 pounds

816 - 425 = 391 load capacity

391 - you at 280 = 111 pounds for the passenger
A lesson in math for all of us.

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Never had a passenger before. Any tips?
More air in the tires, otherwise it will handle super slow, especially at slow speeds. Try 40psi and see how it feels. Get used to slipping the clutch a little bit, especially on hills (unless you're good with the rear brake).

Have her wrap her arms around your waist and put her hands on the tank, it will help not squish your nuts under braking. I have found that taking off and cornering I can have one hand wrapped around to your belly and one hand on tank. Sometimes on harder take-offs, two hands around belly or at least grabbing sides of stomach area.

Be ready for helmet bangs. As a passenger, I try to stay to the left some, move my upper body (and helmet!) left to see traffic and not bang helmets.

The rear seat of the Pani is not comfortable no matter how big you are, make sure to stop every so often to let her stretch.

When she's ready to mount the bike, keep your feet steady (far enough apart) to let her put her left foot on YOUR footpeg and use it as leverage to get up on the back. Once there and she's ready, while NOT MOVING, have her lean a LITTLE left/right so she can see how much she can actually move the bike. Make sure she knows she must mimic you, tell her NOT to lean the opposite direction (that will really screw you up)!

Good luck! Coming from someone who rode on the back of Ducatis for years, and an 1199 Pani from OH to TN in a weekend, and have ridden some guys on the back of my Pani.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts