Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to use a lever guard on the 899 for track day stuff. I think I looked at just about all the lever guard options. Most use an extra long after market clip-on bar to mount the guard to outside of the throttle tube. There are some that also serve as a bar end which use an insert into the bar, but I didn't like the idea of using an expanding bushing in the stock threaded bar. The Dion Device, which mounts inboard of the throttle, would also need a longer bar unless I replaced the stock switch block. I didn't really want to replace the stock clip-on bars or switches.

I ended up removing the stock bar end (which is one, long, heavy piece of steel) and having the outside diameter of the bar end reduced to 7/8" or 22 mm (which is the same as the OD of the clip-on bar). I'm using a Woodcraft lever guard which mounts on .675" of the bar end. Looks and works great. The only issue I'm having is the asymmetric look of the bike which is bugging me just a bit. Maybe I'll get used to it, maybe I do the clutch side also.

Before:

After milling:

Woodcraft lever guard:

Finished project:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Afterwards did you notice more vibration in the bars? I would think the stock end would help with dampening.
Haven't had the opportunity to ride it since making the change. There might be a bit more vibration, but I don't think it'll be noticeable. The weight of the guard will also offset some of the lost bar end weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.