Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just past the 600 mile mark, and the other day noticed that my oil was VERY low; none showing in the sight window. Note that this was after a ride, the bike had sat for at least 10 minutes, and was parked in a wheel chock (i.e. level, upright, etc). The next day, I added about 1/4 quart of oil and checked the level. Still nothing. I then added another 1/4, checked, etc until I'm now up to about a quart in. This is my first bike without a dipstick, so I'm a little nervous about continuing to add oil. I haven't taken the fairings off to look for leaks yet, but I also haven't seen any indications of one anywhere on the bike or floor where it's always parked.

Is it possible that I've burned more than a quart of oil in the month or so that I've had her? If not, any ideas on what I've missed?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yeah that's pretty crazy, mine didn't use hardly a drop prior to first service and none after, have nearly 3,700 miles now. The very tiny bit my oil has gone down is due to an oil leak for the past 3,000 miles.

Granted a new engine should use some oil and will until about 2,000 miles once broken in fully but ****, what you report is a crazy amount. Dynasty who went cross country used a grip I thought and he was only half a quart low. You are reporting almost a full quart?! That's nuts.

Makes me not want my engine replaced for my oil leak haha!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what's going on, but there's something definitely not right (either with the bike or it's owner). Since I'm pretty much at the first service interval anyway, I'm going bring it in.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Be sure to follow-up with what your dealership has for an explanation on why you would use a quart in the first 600 miles. I'm curious if they shine you on with some crap about that's normal for a new engine or if they go the extra mile and do a compression/leak-down test for you or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.