Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Well as the topic says I would like advice on how to clean off the grease from the chain since my tail underside is dirty. I tried some soap and water but some marking still remain. If anyone knows how to get rid of it completely please let me know. It annoying seeing smudges >.<

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Kerosene and a chain brush.

Reactions: XCLR8TN and rybo

·
Registered
32 Posts
It seems like there may be a misunderstanding. I think the original poster is looking to remove the flinging grease from his undertail, not the chain...if you are looking to remove fling from the undertail, I would try WD-40. To be clear, I would not use WD-40 on the chain itself as there are cleaners designed for such a purpose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use Wurth Dry Chain Lube which doesn't flick but am finding that some of the factory stuff is still flicking out from between the links (the bits I couldn't get out when I cleaned it!!!). I'm using Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer (I have the Arctic White) with excellent results. I've also used WD40, and would still be if I didn't have the detailer. :)

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Oh! Well in that case I have had good luck with S100 Total Cycle Cleaner. I mix it 1:1 in a spray bottle, spray it on, leave it for a few minutes, and sponge off. Makes cleaning grease and bug guts much easier.

S100 Total Cycle Cleaner
S100 Total Cycle Cleaner

It seems like there may be a misunderstanding. I think the original poster is looking to remove the flinging grease from his undertail, not the chain...if you are looking to remove fling from the undertail, I would try WD-40. To be clear, I would not use WD-40 on the chain itself as there are cleaners designed for such a purpose.

·
Registered
90 Posts
WD 40 is rate to be fine with the orings in our chains orings. It also happens to be a perfect mastic (sticky residue) remover. Safe on paint.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i used a regular run of the mill degreaser, but now i that i have put a thin layer of optimum opti-coat 2.0, i don't even need soap. just wet a micro fiber cloth and wipe it down. but be-warned that this stuff will make it shiny if you put too much. i put a really thin layer so my bike still looks like the factory matte paint.

Amazon.com: Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 - 20 CC: Automotive

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use Wurth Dry Chain Lube which doesn't flick but am finding that some of the factory stuff is still flicking out from between the links (the bits I couldn't get out when I cleaned it!!!). I'm using Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer (I have the Arctic White) with excellent results. I've also used WD40, and would still be if I didn't have the detailer.
I also have the meticulous matte, but you use it to remove the chain gunk on the exhaust pipe? It works for that?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a bunch of chain grease on my left side exhaust. I have kerosene and a chain brush, but I am worried the bristles will scratch the exhaust.

Can you confirm it won't?

I use motul chain cleaner to remove any chain grease. Works on everything except fairings. Don't use it on fairings. It'll easily remove it off the exhaust tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.