Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I snapped my mudguard screw.

Parts manual shows it is part number 77210852C, superseded to 77214411BA.

Ducati Omaha has it for $0.99, but wants $7 for shipping.

That doesn't sit well with me, so I'm curious if anyone knows of an equivalent screw.

Or even better: are there aftermarket anodized screws?

I know with fairings you can buy upgraded screws, does this exist with the mudflap?

Automotive tire Bicycle fork Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bicycle chain

·
Registered
102 Posts
That looks like an M5 or M6 bolt, around 15-18mm long and with a shoulder of 5-6mm... take exact measurements and see if you can find something similar to this set on eBay. It's very unlikely you will find a single one, straight replacement, for less than $7.99 shipped. Personally, I would buy 2-3 OEM bolts from Ducati Omaha (assuming shipping remains at $7) and keep a couple as spares. Or add an oil filter and get free shipping. Snapping a bolt on a Ducati could be a very expensive mistake, consider yourself lucky you got away with only $7.99!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like an M5 or M6 bolt, around 15-18mm long and with a shoulder of 5-6mm... take exact measurements and see if you can find something similar to this set on eBay. It's very unlikely you will find a single one, straight replacement, for less than $7.99 shipped. Personally, I would buy 2-3 OEM bolts from Ducati Omaha (assuming shipping remains at $7) and keep a couple as spares. Or add an oil filter and get free shipping. Snapping a bolt on a Ducati could be a very expensive mistake, consider yourself lucky you got away with only $7.99!
Yeah I suppose you're right. It irritates me that they could put the screws in an envelope and use a First Class stamp.

Even if they use a padded envelope, I just know it will have a stamp saying "Postage Fee Paid - $2.49" or something like that.

But anyways, I managed to round the screw holding the sprocket cover. It's a small panhead 3mm hex screw, it has no more grip.

Any tips on extracting it without damaging the mudflap behind the sprocket?

Automotive tire Rim Steering part Gas Auto part

·
Registered
102 Posts
Some options:
  • clean the screw and the 3mm Allen wrench with alcohol, take some quality epoxy like JB Weld, put a small dab on the wrench and basically glue it to the screw. Let it cure properly, then turn.
  • use a screw extractor kit, they come with special bits that bite into the screw head, counterclockwise. You might need to drill a small hole in the screw head for them to engage properly.
  • take a Dremel and cut a slot across the entire screw head, then use a flat screwdriver.
  • drill the screw enough for the head to come off, remove the sprocket cover, then use vise-grips pliers to remove the threaded portion (this is a potentially risky and messy job, use it as a last resort)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

Ended up buying a cheap extractor kit.

It wouldn't really drill into the screw, and at this point I found out my drill only spins at 800 RPM as opposed to 3000 RPM, so my drill is underpowered.

So I drilled until the drill battery died, and then I hammered in a flathead into the stripped screw head over and over again (the extractor managed to make the head wider which allowed me to use a bigger flathead)

Eventually the flathead gripped the screw and I got it out! Thank you!

Unfortunately the hammering did bend the metal part of the mudflap (part 46015792B), hopefully the hammering did not bend the clutch control rod (part 11721332B).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts