Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling a used Mototote.

This is a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier.

The carrier is 63lbs.

Carrier capacity can hold a motorcycle up to 550lbs.

I've used this multiple times with with zero issues. I just invested in a full size trailer to carry multiple bikes so i have little use for this now.

San Mateo CA Local Pick Up only

$350

·
Registered
830 Posts
That's pretty slick! I like it. Think about it, a bike is what 400lbs? That's just two big guys in the back seat, really not that much weight.

The video I saw on you tube showed some guy loading it and unloading... looked easy enough, but I wasn't quite so sure about strapping it down. I saw him strap the front down over the triple tree on both sides and then the rear tire down.

But are there straps for the platform the bike rests on that you strap to the frame of your truck/suv so that the hitch bar doesn't rotate/torque within the square hitch hole? On another video, some redneck showed his mototote wobbling so bad, it had 4-5" of play/wobble in it.

The website said its $529 new... your price is great, wish I had the spare cash else I'd buy it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
That's pretty slick! I like it. Think about it, a bike is what 400lbs? That's just two big guys in the back seat, really not that much weight.

The video I saw on you tube showed some guy loading it and unloading... looked easy enough, but I wasn't quite so sure about strapping it down. I saw him strap the front down over the triple tree on both sides and then the rear tire down.

But are there straps for the platform the bike rests on that you strap to the frame of your truck/suv so that the hitch bar doesn't rotate/torque within the square hitch hole? On another video, some redneck showed his mototote wobbling so bad, it had 4-5" of play/wobble in it.

The website said its $529 new... your price is great, wish I had the spare cash else I'd buy it.
It's more like 500#'s, and there's a big difference between them sitting between the wheels in the cabin and standing on the tailgate. I looked at one of these as an option, and found that the total weight was pretty close to the maximum tongue weight for my hitch. I decided it wasn't worth the risk, or performance issues introduced by the imbalance.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I asked my shop about this set up... they said it actually works pretty well... they said the only thing you have to really check on is the tongue weight that your trailer hitch can handle. Just cuz the mount is rated for 550 pounds doesn't necessarily mean your trailer hitch on your bumper is.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
When I was shopping for a jeep / truck, I was surprised to find that few utility vehicles have the capability of supporting that much weight.

Your tongue weight is 10% of the towing capacity, so if you can only pull 3500 lbs with your Wrangler, you can strike being able to use one of these.

·
Registered
830 Posts
2014 GMC Yukon towing capacity 5300-8400lbs... so I'm good to go under 530 lbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts