Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to go and have a Ventureshield panel replaced this morning as it had lifted slightly. Went fairly early this morning and managed to ring the bikes neck on the way, think it's the first time I've hit the rev limiter in 2nd with the traction control coming in, dash lit up like a christmas tree = big grin.

Anyway, while the Ventureshield panel being fitted I noticed what looked like a nail in the rear tyre, in one of the grooves. I didn't want to pull it myself in case had gone through so on way home called at tyre place, it had gone through, but fortunately could be repaired..... Once wheel off was further inspected and I'd also got a screw straight through the tyre, lucky not blown!! fortunately both could be repaired/plugged for £25 rather than cost of new tyre when this one had only covered 800 miles!!

Makes you wake up to how much shite must be on the roads, and made me now think of checking tyres before and after each ride, guess I must of picked them up Thursday evening on ride to and from Kriega.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Plugged loads of tyres (or more specifically had them plugged properly), as long as its in the meat of the tread, never ever had a problem.

Done this on R6's GSXR1000's and pretty much every bike Ive ridden. Find a good tyre guy that you can trust, and take his advice.

RBW.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had it plugged, have had them done before, and never had a problem and hit some high speeds (170+) on plugged tyres in IOM. If done properly by tyre tech then they should be as good as an undamaged tyre.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Correct, plugging is just fine. You're not going to sustain speeds of over 170 for very long and the average plug is rated for temps of over 270+ degree operating temperatures. If the plug is vulcanized, it's even higher. What most dealerships will do is remove the tire, use a vulcanized patch and plug. This ensures the integrity of the carcass and plugs the cut or hole.

The only reason for discarding a new tire would be direct or indirect damage to the sidewall.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The rule with plugging a tyre is "it drops to the lowest speed rating", if you want to maintain the tyres speed rating and integrity it needs to be patched from the inside. Plugs were only ever designed to get you out of trouble and back to the shop to get it replaced.

"J" is the lowest speed rating in Australia, which is 100km/hr or 62MPH

·
Registered
75 Posts
Seems lots a folks would take a plug. Know someone who had bad luck with it. Also it can compromise the carcas. Good luck everyone with a plug, i will mount a new one ;-)
Nope, don't believe so. The only thing that could actually compromise the carcass is; the separation of the belt and vulcanized rubber.
:);)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.