Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By request from my previous thread:

I didn't want to drop $600+ for an 1199s headlight, so I installed these instead: H11 LED headlights

I did the low beams only to preserve the rain/fog penetration capabilities of halogen light for the high beams. Here are the results:

Pic of the LED low beam vs the halogen low beam in the shop (DucatiOmaha). It's hard to get a picture of the difference, but it is significant.

Minor modification had to be done. The bulbs and cooling fan fit in the low beam housing(although just barely), but to open up the fan to help keep it cool, the plastic was cut along the red lines.

View of them in the bike after installation:

LED Low Beams vs. Halogen High Beams in the Garage:

LED Low Beams vs. Halogen High Beams Outside:

LED Low Beams vs. Halogen High Beams from the Rider's Perspective:

Overall, I am extremely happy with this mod. I love having the option of running LEDs or halogens depending on the conditions. The LEDs have much more daytime visibility and nighttime throw/peripherals in good conditions, while the halogens have much better penetration capabilities in poor conditions. Thanks to everyone at DucatiOmaha for making this mod a possibility for me!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would love to see these in comparison to the stock 1199 LED headlights. I have experience with CREE CXA1512 headlight conversions so I already know how amazing they are especially compared to stock halogens.

I wouldn't expect them to outperform the 1199 LED headlight assembly but I think that would be a great reference point for comparison.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't understand why LEDs need a fan. That basically means there is more energy loss compared to halogens.
High power LEDs require thermoregulation for consistent light output. They don't need a fan per se but without one the light output (in lumens) will be significantly lower or the heatsink would need to be bigger for passive regulation.

For these Cree LEDs (CXA1512) the lumen output is rated between 800 and 1600 lumens per emitter depending on voltage, current, and temperature. Just for your information:

1x H11 Halogen 55W 1350 lumens (per bulb)
1x H11 Cree LED 24W 2200 lumens (per bulb - which each have 2x CXA1512 emitters)

The performance of the LED emitters is easily within spec; I doubt the claimed lumen output or power draw is overstated. My guess is that the mini fan uses about 1.5W or so.

Does this help your understanding?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mod looks good! But you mean to fit the LEDs properly we need to cut the plastic part indicated off the housing ?
Looking at the install pictures that the dealer did it doesn't appear that the plastics 'need' to be cut as the openings for the fans are clear of obstruction. However it was probably a good idea to do it anyway to optimize the heatsink exposure to the cooler ambient air. I plan on cutting my plastics a bit when I do mine; I think it's a very clean looking install.

·
Registered
25 Posts
High power LEDs require thermoregulation for consistent light output. They don't need a fan per se but without one the light output (in lumens) will be significantly lower or the heatsink would need to be bigger for passive regulation.

For these Cree LEDs (CXA1512) the lumen output is rated between 800 and 1600 lumens per emitter depending on voltage, current, and temperature. Just for your information:

1x H11 Halogen 55W 1350 lumens (per bulb)
1x H11 Cree LED 24W 2200 lumens (per bulb - which each have 2x CXA1512 emitters)

The performance of the LED emitters is easily within spec; I doubt the claimed lumen output or power draw is overstated. My guess is that the mini fan uses about 1.5W or so.

Does this help your understanding?
Yes, thx for the explanation.
So if a fan would fail, it would not cause any problem like any of the plastics melting?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes, thx for the explanation.
So if a fan would fail, it would not cause any problem like any of the plastics melting?
Not likely. You would have a gradual drop in lumens and a possible reduction of emitter life if the bulb were to overheat. Though having the heatsink open to air would reduce the rate of such an occurrence. I would consider it likely that the bike in motion would provide a significant amount of airflow, maybe even enough to compensate passively. I say this because the tiny fans used move a very small amount of air.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How would this compare to HIDs? DDM Tunings HIDs are ~3300 lumens but the light isn't as focused when not using proper projectors. I wonder if the LED bulb focuses the light better. If so, even it has a lower lumen rating, it may produce more "usable" light.

Either way though this is very cool!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I was shocked at how bright those LED bulbs were when we installed them! I was also shocked that we got them in there, just looking at the size of the housing I said "No way that's going to fit!". But after a little trimming, they were in and MAN that's a lot brighter than the stock bulbs! We signed up as a dealer for those Lifetime LED lights now, looking at putting them in some other bikes as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
How would this compare to HIDs? DDM Tunings HIDs are ~3300 lumens but the light isn't as focused when not using proper projectors. I wonder if the LED bulb focuses the light better. If so, even it has a lower lumen rating, it may produce more "usable" light.

Either way though this is very cool!
I would say that 35W HIDs which are typically +/- 3100 lumens assuming 100% efficiency and depending on the color temp. Expect an actual lumenous output closer to 2400 lumens. It's not likely that you would be able to notice a difference that small. The major distinction will be as you've pointed out, the beam pattern.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you guys are planning on installing more, can you do a side by side comparison?

Halogen beam pattern/throw vs LED beam pattern/throw in the same location? (even in the shop would do!)

Can these be installed while the headlight assembly is mounted to the bike or do you need to remove the assembly?

I've been trying to figure out a good way to get whiter low beams to match the stock LEDs and I ended up ordering H9 blue bulbs, assuming since the H9s output more lumens than H11, the blue therefoere removing lumens, I will still be brighter than stock H11s lol!

Very interesting thread!

·
Registered
322 Posts
OEM Halogen Left/Cree LED Right

Noticeably brighter and whiter (5000k). The seller sent the wrong kit (1800 lumen vs 2200 lumen per bulb) but I'll do an install How-to with it anyway. I was able to do the install without removing the headlight or any fairing. The picture is with cell phone and exposure set to -2

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
oooh nice. I didn't know they were making LED headlight kits already for any vehicle....
the LED's appear to be a much crisper white!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Those look like they might even be brighter than my 1199S headlight. I know my HIDs were but I wasn't super fond of the glare and warmup time when I had to flash my highs at someone. I'd be super interested in a comparison of these vs the 1199S/R lights as a side-by side.

On another note, I think I might have to throw a set of those in my fog lights on my car. It's never foggy here so they're just extra illumination at night - if they match my the LEDs that are part of my OEM headlights that would be killer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.