Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a bit of oil after my last track day, and then yesterday noticed quite a bit more while out on a ride. I immediately headed home, and parked the bike. On a whim, I found a few articles on something called Seal Mate; which apparently has been used with great success. So, couple of questions:

1) Anyone here use it, and is it really a fix you can trust for 'performance' riding?
2) How much oil can you lose before it becomes an issue?

The second question comes from reading a bunch of articles on rebuilding forks, and how exacting the oil measurements tend to be.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes they do work to get small bits of debris out of your seals if that's why yours is leaking it will fix it. I used a DIY meathod with 35mm film (or something equaly thin) before on my old Aprilia with good success.

Hey, for the low price of free... its worth a shot, you wont make it worse right...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I cover my shocks with shockware material to avoid leaking forks. They're red now, but will get some black ones same color as the fender.
Usually it's dust particles.
I tried using the seal mate one time, but did not work for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have recently used the seal mate on my 899. My left front fork seal was leaking and I didn't want to go through the hassle of removing the entire fork and repairing the leak.

For about $5 I gave the seal a shot. I thought, "For $5 what the **** do I have to lose?"

It was $5 well spent because it do not have any more fluid leaking on my left fork seal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
+1 on the seal mate! In fact...I just made my own from a gallon milk jug!!! I saw the seal mate video...cut a similar size and shape from a milk jug in the recycling container...and it totally worked!!! I'll buy a seal mate just to support them and their great instruction on the video! Worked on my 2015 899 panigale...it or was really leaking! I thought for sure seal was blown! I also have a piper Cherokee 140 that has a leak in the oleo strut...I'm going to try this technique on her as well!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
+1 on the seal mate! In fact...I just made my own from a gallon milk jug!!! I saw the seal mate video...cut a similar size and shape from a milk jug in the recycling container...and it totally worked!!! I'll buy a seal mate just to support them and their great instruction on the video! Worked on my 2015 899 panigale...it or was really leaking! I thought for sure seal was blown! I also have a piper Cherokee 140 that has a leak in the oleo strut...I'm going to try this technique on her as well!!!

I did exactly what you did and cut my own from water bottle...the tick ones from like sparkling water and it did work for me as well. I was pretty happy from the fact I don’t have to deal with taking the bike to a mechanic. Also order the tool to support this guys that save me some money and hassle. Be safe all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts