Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in CA, where it's a way of life. I heard it's also legal in Nevada now, although that's not confirmed. Every time I'm stuck in traffic in a cage I can't stand watching all the bikes go by, cursing myself for not being one of them.

I'm just curious where else it's legal, US and abroad? Thanks in advance for the input!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Lane filtering will become Legal in NSW, Australia from July 1st this year, it will only be legal for those that have a full licence, not learner or provisional riders. It can only be done in slow moving (under 40km/h) or stopped traffic. It is being reported that both Victoria and Queensland will soon adopt these laws too...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think Victoria said no. Queenslands jury is still out.
Yeah Victoria is waiting for the state election (end of November 2014),It was the current Liberal govt that has said "NO" to lane filtering, hopefully a change of govt coming, Labor has promised to pass the lane filtering laws...

·
Registered
480 Posts
The AMA has been lobbying pretty hard to get it enacted throughout the US. Apparently Maryland may be close, although given how bad/inattentive the drivers are here I'm not sure I'd take advantage of it unless traffic was almost at a standstill.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I live in CA, where it's a way of life. I heard it's also legal in Nevada now, although that's not confirmed. Every time I'm stuck in traffic in a cage I can't stand watching all the bikes go by, cursing myself for not being one of them.

I'm just curious where else it's legal, US and abroad? Thanks in advance for the input!
In hong kong, in the 'highway code' in the motorcycle section, they say that filtering through standing traffic is acceptable as long as you are not crossing solid white lines.

·
Registered
723 Posts
In Sweden both lane splitting and riding on the shoulder is legal (as it should be).
I don't know about the shoulder thing. Here in the U.S. people riding on the shoulder are considered "gutter sneaks" and are the cause of quite a few accidents, mostly to themselves, like that guy who wrecked the borrowed 1199 on YouTube. I loathe gutter sneaks and they get what they deserve. The shoulder is usually a bicycle lane and an emergency only lane on the other side of that, NOT to ever be used for passing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't know about the shoulder thing. Here in the U.S. people riding on the shoulder are considered "gutter sneaks" and are the cause of quite a few accidents, mostly to themselves, like that guy who wrecked the borrowed 1199 on YouTube. I loathe gutter sneaks and they get what they deserve. The shoulder is usually a bicycle lane and an emergency only lane on the other side of that, NOT to ever be used for passing.

Well first of all it is safer passing on the shoulder as opposed off splitting through the cars. Both are legal here. Of course as long as it can be done in a safe way when there is a lot of traffic. Not if the traffic is moving as it should.

Second, people causing accidents doing it deserves to get hurt. Legal or not legal. If you drive like a hoologan you only get what's coming for you ;)

A bike can alwas move out of the way if an emergency vehicle comes along. A car can not and that is why I think it is perfectly fine. As our traffic law does as well :)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny thing here in the US, there are three states that don't allow lane splitting (I assume because it's too dangerous?), but wearing a helmet is not required!

It makes so much sense to allow splitting, especially in big cities where traffic is bad.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Funny thing here in the US, there are three states that don't allow lane splitting (I assume because it's too dangerous?), but wearing a helmet is not required!

It makes so much sense to allow splitting, especially in big cities where traffic is bad.
In some ways I can defend that lol. A) helmet should be optional if you're 18, if you can die for your country, you should have freedom of choice if you are willing to pay the extra insurance. I think if you get pulled over and the cop checks your insurance card and it says helmet and you're not, it's insurance fraud. B) The lane splitting is old school cager mentality. If you look at states where the cops ride bikes (like CHP in CA) that's historically been why it was legal in that state, because of law enforcement.

So in summary, there should be no mandatory helmet laws and lane sharing should be legal in all 50 states :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
In some ways I can defend that lol. A) helmet should be optional if you're 18, if you can die for your country, you should have freedom of choice if you are willing to pay the extra insurance. I think if you get pulled over and the cop checks your insurance card and it says helmet and you're not, it's insurance fraud. B) The lane splitting is old school cager mentality. If you look at states where the cops ride bikes (like CHP in CA) that's historically been why it was legal in that state, because of law enforcement.

So in summary, there should be no mandatory helmet laws and lane sharing should be legal in all 50 states :D
If we lived in a country where personal responsibility/accountability was valued, I'd tend to agree with you on the mandatory helmet laws; let Darwin have his due. Not allowing lane splitting is just stupid.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I like to think of lane splitting as a HOV Lane for motorcyclists.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can the OP make a list in the first post as the places where lane splitting is allowed is listed? Just thought it would be nice if you get a lot of entries, espacially for guys going cross states/countries as I plan this summer in Europe. :)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Totally agree, although if it were a choice, I'd still choose to wear mine :)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can the OP make a list in the first post as the places where lane splitting is allowed is listed? Just thought it would be nice if you get a lot of entries, espacially for guys going cross states/countries as I plan this summer in Europe. :)
I would, but I can't edit my original post, so one of the mods would have to do it. I like the idea though!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.