Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad to say I've joined the club of 899 theft victims. Stolen sometime this week from my "secured" apartment building parking garage. Gated, three level, underground parking garage a few blocks from the Santa Monica promenade.

I rode the bike Saturday, cleaned her Sunday, and because I walk to work (and had a busy week), had not been down in the garage until tonight. Went down to hop in the car to get groceries, and the bike was gone.

Santa Monica cop came, took down info, gave me a theft report and left.

If the bike isn't already stripped for parts and anyone in the LA area sees a red 899 with NRC fender eliminator, techspec tank pads and CA license plate 21Z0848, please call the police.

It was insured, but I guess I'll be bike-free for a while. I can't imagine making the same mistake twice in this building.

Picture from my last ride attached. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Sad to say I've joined the club of 899 theft victims. Stolen sometime this week from my "secured" apartment building parking garage. Gated, three level, underground parking garage a few blocks from the Santa Monica promenade.

I rode the bike Saturday, cleaned her Sunday, and because I walk to work (and had a busy week), had not been down in the garage until tonight. Went down to hop in the car to get groceries, and the bike was gone.

Santa Monica cop came, took down info, gave me a theft report and left.

If the bike isn't already stripped for parts and anyone in the LA area sees a red 899 with NRC fender eliminator, techspec tank pads and CA license plate 21Z0848, please call the police.

It was insured, but I guess I'll be bike-free for a while. I can't imagine making the same mistake twice in this building.

Picture from my last ride attached. :(
I am really sorry to hear about your bike. My heart sank when I began to read your post... with a bit of luck they will eventually find the people who stole it.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to hear that dude. I work in the Santa Monica area and have been nervous about parking my bike outside. Thankfully we have security patrolling, but I always get "admirers" checking out the bike...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am really sorry to hear about your bike. My heart sank when I began to read your post... with a bit of luck they will eventually find the people who stole it.

Keep us posted.
Going to the garage and not seeing your bike there is a terrible feeling. I could not process properly for a few minutes. Tremendously violating.

**** that sucks! I hope those motherfucking pieces of **** that stole it get found and put away and have to pay restitution until they fucking die!
I hope so, but it does not seem to me that theft is a very high priority for the police to track down.

Sorry to hear that dude. I work in the Santa Monica area and have been nervous about parking my bike outside. Thankfully we have security patrolling, but I always get "admirers" checking out the bike...
Hopefully you have better luck. I get the sense my bike was "scouted" since it was in an underground limited-access garage. Hopefully your bike being parked in a office garage will have different luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. My single biggest fear owning this bike is theft. I have had 3 bikes stolen in LA-- 2 ZX-10s and 1 VFR800 (what kind of a$$holes steal a VFR800??). Two were from my old residence parking garage and one was from work in Santa Monica. They found the engine of the VFR laying in a street in Pomona. Nothing was ever found of the ZX-10s. Best thing you can do is wait for the insurance and then think over whether you can live with it happening from time to time. These farkwits aren't going away anytime soon.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to hear about this. My single biggest fear owning this bike is theft. I have had 3 bikes stolen in LA-- 2 ZX-10s and 1 VFR800 (what kind of a$$holes steal a VFR800??). Two were from my old residence parking garage and one was from work in Santa Monica. They found the engine of the VFR laying in a street in Pomona. Nothing was ever found of the ZX-10s. Best thing you can do is wait for the insurance and then think over whether you can live with it happening from time to time. These farkwits aren't going away anytime soon.
Wow. I definitely won't own another bike while I live in this building; hoping to find a private garage with my next place.

Did your insurance rates go up due to the thefts? Through no fault of your own, of course...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow. I definitely won't own another bike while I live in this building; hoping to find a private garage with my next place.

Did your insurance rates go up due to the thefts? Through no fault of your own, of course...
Insurance rates were unaffected. YMMV. But at least with State Farm I had no issues. I've been with them for almost 30 years. Would never leave, even for a lower quote. They stood by me and made sure I was taken care of when these thefts happened.

When my first ZX-10 was taken, I came up with a plan so I wouldn't have to park my bike in my home parking structure anymore. Instead, I parked it at a local public storage space across the street and paid the monthly fee. Smart eh? So the bastards just came and took the second one from work where it was slightly easier to pick. So while a private garage helps, if they want your bike, they'll find a way.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Insurance rates were unaffected. YMMV. But at least with State Farm I had no issues. I've been with them for almost 30 years. Would never leave, even for a lower quote. They stood by me and made sure I was taken care of when these thefts happened.

When my first ZX-10 was taken, I came up with a plan so I wouldn't have to park my bike in my home parking structure anymore. Instead, I parked it at a local public storage space across the street and paid the monthly fee. Smart eh? So the bastards just came and took the second one from work where it was slightly easier to pick. So while a private garage helps, if they want your bike, they'll find a way.
Undoubtedly nothing is 100% except not to own a bike (let's see how long I last...). But at least a private garage will reduce the ease compared to a shared garage. I hope.

Glad to hear State Farm took care of you. I use them as well, and hope for a similar experience.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike, hits close to home as I moved away from the Santa Monica area just a couple years back, where I had my very expensive mountain bike stolen from a "secure" cage inside my "secure" valet parking structure.

At the very least, for your next bike consider getting a piercingly loud alarm and some sort of tracking device. Might at least help the cops track down these dickheads.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hear about your bike, hits close to home as I moved away from the Santa Monica area just a couple years back, where I had my very expensive mountain bike stolen from a "secure" cage inside my "secure" valet parking structure.

At the very least, for your next bike consider getting a piercingly loud alarm and some sort of tracking device. Might at least help the cops track down these dickheads.
And sadly it's often the security guards (or valet in your case) who facilitate the theft for a kickback. Hard to trust anyone else with valuable property.

I'm positive my next bike will be overboard on theft-prevention devices after this experience. But there's sadly nothing that is 100%. We can only slow them down or try to track after the fact.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts