Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the dilemma of what luggage option to go for for upcoming 6 day Euro trip taking in WSBK at Assen. Have had ventura rack system on last few bikes which I rate highly other than the bags not being waterproof, had to line them both bin bag.

After some recommendations from others I looked at Kriega. I contacted Kriega UK direct to ask about the fitment for the 899. They hadn't seen an 899 in the flesh, so with them only being 40-50 miles from me I offered to take my 899 in which I did yesterday. We had the tail section stripped so they could see where the fittings could go. The front went around the sub frame, whir the rear secured to the two 5mm body work bolts at the rear. I had the seat pod on tather than the seat and it fitted on with the loops. They are looking at minor modifications re the rear fittings to lower the straps slightly to make it a better fit, but does woe as is. I'm also going to have a look at some minot mods over the weekend. The lads down at Kriegs, Dom & Chris were great and keen to sort the best and most secure fitting options and really pleased to have actually seen an 899 in the flesh (Dom has an 849 dark himself). I'll attach some photos to this thread showing the fittings and will post some more when I've had a further play. I'll also be keeping in touch with the lads at Kriega should they want another look to perfect the fitment etc.

I opted for the US30 and US10 dry bags and will update further following Euro trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Those are pretty good looking bags, a lot of motorcycle top cases and storage things don't look great. I'm interested in seeing more pictures too. Price on most of them are pretty reasonable too.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
problem with the way we fitted in the photo's. Found that with the seat having the flat bottom it wouldn't fasten down and lock in position with the disk straps as shown in the photo's. I've had to adapt a couple of the fixing straps with some cup washers, seem fine. I've fed this back to Dom at Kriega and he's going to have some prototype reenforced straps made to the correct dimensions, see how they fit and then produce a custom fixing kit for the 899.

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
@adeyrob

How did you find the straps with just the cup washer holding them down? Have they torn at all?

I bought some disk straps and trying to work out what to use for a long tour coming up.

Keen to hear any advice regarding affixing a US30 to this bike.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's fantastic! I have one of their backpacks and love it.

Any clue if the 1199 will have different attachment points back there due to it not having the tubular subframe? Or where it attaches is still the same?

Thanks for taking the bike to them and getting this sorted for us!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've just been right around the Lake District and the West Coast of Scotland.

What I done was use the existing seat straps you get with the Kriega kit.... I cut them, drilled a hole in them, found 2 washers and bolted them to the same areas you see in the pictures above.

When cutting the straps they frayed at the end. just add a little heat to seal them back up. Jobs a good un!!

They held perfectly and that was me flying around the twisty and uneven roads of Scotland.

·
Registered
550 Posts

What I done was use the existing seat straps you get with the Kriega kit.... I cut them, drilled a hole in them, found 2 washers and bolted them to the same areas you see in the pictures above.

When cutting the straps they frayed at the end. just add a little heat to seal them back up. Jobs a good un!!

They held perfectly and that was me flying around the twisty and uneven roads of Scotland.
Thank you Craigieloon! Great to hear the tour went well.

After tinkering with the bike mounts I have come to the same conclusion. There is now some Kriega disc mounts on eBay. I was going to take the existing seat straps to a bootmaker and get them sewn together around the drill hole for strength, and a hollow rivet (like what you put your laces through) big enough to fit to the bike. I'll take some photos when I get them made up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thank you Craigieloon! Great to hear the tour went well.

After tinkering with the bike mounts I have come to the same conclusion. There is now some Kriega disc mounts on eBay. I was going to take the existing seat straps to a bootmaker and get them sewn together around the drill hole for strength, and a hollow rivet (like what you put your laces through) big enough to fit to the bike. I'll take some photos when I get them made up.
Any idea what size that screw is? I've seen like 1/4" eyelet rivets like you describe for pretty cheap with a crimp tool, might even be able to do it yourself along with some nylon webbing strap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any idea what size that screw is? I've seen like 1/4" eyelet rivets like you describe for pretty cheap with a crimp tool, might even be able to do it yourself along with some nylon webbing strap.
from memory its 6mm. I just found some old washers in the garage that I used to spread the load when tightening to the fairing. Il get some picks up later

·
Registered
105 Posts

Hello All,

I've decided to buy Kriega for a longish trip this year, a US 20+10 combo and possibly the smallest backpack too, but I wondered if any of you guys that had used this combo would think that the back pack would interfere with the tailpack when not in a crouch, there's not a lot of room back there! I'm only 5'9 btw.

I'm not going with the Blaze saddlebags because I filter all the time and don't want the headache of my bike being twice as wide.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i spoke to kreiga last week - panigale kit out on the next month or so - i use us 20 plus 10 for a week away - docs and waterproofs in the 10 - last trip was 10 days so i took the us 20 rucksack as well - no problems but you have to travel light - we just washed out kit out each night in the hotel and it was shorts and a couple of t shirts plus flip flops - all went in easily
next trip is france in july - alps - millau - over the border to spain and back from bilbao - can't wait

·
Registered
105 Posts
i spoke to kreiga last week - panigale kit out on the next month or so - i use us 20 plus 10 for a week away - docs and waterproofs in the 10 - last trip was 10 days so i took the us 20 rucksack as well - no problems but you have to travel light - we just washed out kit out each night in the hotel and it was shorts and a couple of t shirts plus flip flops - all went in easily
next trip is france in july - alps - millau - over the border to spain and back from bilbao - can't wait

thanks for the advice, and your thoughts about the Bilbao-Portsmouth/Plymouth ferry would be appreciated as I'm doing it at some point too. I don't like riding the flats of Northern France, it is boring and windy and I want to try the ferry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.