Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres what greeted me this morning...is this the oil leak that most guys on here were reporting? is this were the sign of the leak started? i only have 480miles so it is still in break-in period and obviously havent done the 1st service.

·
Registered
81 Posts
heres what greeted me this morning...is this the oil leak that most guys on here were reporting? is this were the sign of the leak started? i only have 480miles so it is still in break-in period and obviously havent done the 1st service.

There are lotsa threads and pictures here about this issue id run through the other threads, although a few have mention oil on the exhaust. Did you ride through the rain or wet roads at all? i went out on a rainy day, had all sorts of oil looking drool on fairing and exhaust cleaned it up never happened again. Best of luck mate.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Mine has been the same, but allot worse towards the front of the left side exhaust, since about 800 miles. My leak is from the top front of the forward cylinder head, when I removed my fairings it was coming from above the starter but where I couldn't see. I have about 3,800 miles on mine now. It's a slow leak and not worth trying to find a ride to my dealership 150 miles away (each way) to drop it off and be driven home. Plus I'm sure they would keep it awhile. Finding a ride back would also be a major pain.

I'm going to wait until it's too hot to ride this summer and then take it in. I'll also have them do the fix for the charcoal canister/start issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are lotsa threads and pictures here about this issue id run through the other threads, although a few have mention oil on the exhaust. Did you ride through the rain or wet roads at all? i went out on a rainy day, had all sorts of oil looking drool on fairing and exhaust cleaned it up never happened again. Best of luck mate.
i was running late for work this morning so i didnt able to clean it up but when i get home today i'll clean it up and see if it shows up again. and no i dont ride when its raining. in fact it was 105* yesterday here in Los Angeles and this showed up just this morning.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine has been the same, but allot worse towards the front of the left side exhaust, since about 800 miles. My leak is from the top front of the forward cylinder head, when I removed my fairings it was coming from above the starter but where I couldn't see. I have about 3,800 miles on mine now. It's a slow leak and not worth trying to find a ride to my dealership 150 miles away (each way) to drop it off and be driven home. Plus I'm sure they would keep it awhile. Finding a ride back would also be a major pain.

I'm going to wait until it's too hot to ride this summer and then take it in. I'll also have them do the fix for the charcoal canister/start issue.
i'll take out the fairings this weekend and see where this is coming from.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine had the same "Oil" looking residue on my pipes after about 200-300 miles of riding. Turns out with was just chain lube that was on the bike. I would wipe it off and see if it comes back... it didn't for me. This was the case with another rider on here too!

Just to be safe... i would also do a good inspection for leaks from the engine. Hopefully it is just the chain oil coming off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is it best to take the bike to the dealership were i got the bike from or to any ducati dealership would be fine?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine had the same "Oil" looking residue on my pipes after about 200-300 miles of riding. Turns out with was just chain lube that was on the bike. I would wipe it off and see if it comes back... it didn't for me. This was the case with another rider on here too!

Just to be safe... i would also do a good inspection for leaks from the engine. Hopefully it is just the chain oil coming off.
this sounds a lot better :) hoping this will be the case..will take off the fairings this weekend and see what i can find.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If possible id take it to where you bought it! but any Duc Dealer will do!
thats what i was thinking..at least i can go and say "hey you sold me this gorgeous thing and i hope i'll keep on loving her"

Reactions: Motojunkie

·
Registered
52 Posts
is it best to take the bike to the dealership were i got the bike from or to any ducati dealership would be fine?

What dealer did you buy it at?? There are a lot of really great dealerships in Socal as far as service goes and other really not so good. Ducati warranty is ducati warranty and any dealer can handle it. my experience is that the best tech's in los angeles are up at pro itlaia. I work right around the corner from a dealer that i would NEVER let touch the bike.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i got it at berts(25miles away) but im like less than 10miles away to proitalia. so u suggest i just bring it to proitalia since it is so much closer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sounds good. btw, how much they charge you at proitalia(im assuming thats were u did ur 1st service) for the 1st service? the ducati sales manager at berts said they'll give me 20% off on my 1st service.

·
Registered
52 Posts
sounds good. btw, how much they charge you at proitalia(im assuming thats were u did ur 1st service) for the 1st service? the ducati sales manager at berts said they'll give me 20% off on my 1st service.
I have not had it done yet. They told me $280 over the phone... but i am going to see what i can do one i get there. I have called two seperate times and got 2 different numbers... so we will see what ends up happening. I will let you know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have not had it done yet. They told me $280 over the phone... but i am going to see what i can do one i get there. I have called two seperate times and got 2 different numbers... so we will see what ends up happening. I will let you know.
sounds great. thanks much!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had my 600 mile service done 3 weeks ago at Ducati Newport Beach the bike had an oil leak ever since I made the purchase. After the service was done they said that it was fixed. Now it's back in for repairs for a reoccurring leak.... I just hope this will not be an ongoing problem and will be fixed with no future reoccurrences:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
hey i hope thats what i think it is so ill start off with a question. is your rear wheel covered in oil/grease/black gunk and also the underbody of the tail? mainly the left side? if so then its most likely from factory lubrication and/or over lubrication on the chain. hope this helps

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.