Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Am new to the forum and also a noob as far as threads and sportsbikes are concerned. Am from India so do cut me some slack and appreciate the enthusiasm.
i wanted to know if the 899 is the right first sportsbike for me. I have had a honda cbr250 for over a year now and another street motorcycle with 500cc on it and low hps and i am pretty confident about riding either one of them.
I now want to move on to the next level and i know i should be starting with a 600cc bike like the r6 or the gsx600 or the cbr600rr but honestly there is nothing in the world i wanna ride except the 899...i cant think of any other motorcycle at all so is it right for me to get one. i was hoping i could ride it in the WET mode lowering the hps and gain more experience and control.
I know its a stupid thing and i do sound idiotic but am just thunderstruck by the 899. I am plannig on buying it next month so..go ahead guys help me decide what to do pl...

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you want the 899 then get it. You'd be wasting money by going with a 600. The rain mode will dampen throttle response and give you more control. The 899 is really pretty tame in the lower rpm's and more rideable on the street.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think it will be ok for you. The 899 is the first bike I have after I stop riding like 4 years ago. Before this the biggest cc bike I had was a Husqvarna 510 SMR. And I have been on the motards for awhile. I have no problem riding the 899. However, you should go slow for the first few ride as it is very different from the smaller cc bikes. You dun have to ride it in wet mode if you can control your temptation to open up the throttle once u get the bike. :D The power delivery of the 899 is smooth and linear. So I feel that as long as you spend some time learning to ride it you should be fine. Other than that ENJOY THE BIKE !!! One very important thing to note. Be sure to check your speed, when moving to big bikes, it takes nothing and feels like nothing to travel at high speed. So you might be travelling a lot faster than you think you are as the bike feel stable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The first time I rode the 899 I had it in wet mode because I needed to get used to the more power that I was expecting. Once I revved up and backed off the throttle, it almost threw me off the bike forward. The engine braking is ridiculous. Feel like I slammed the front brakes. Put it in sport and it was normal. But after a bit I felt the 899 is very forgiving, nothing you should be afraid of.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Go for it man! You clearly have experience under your belt and are leaning towards the 899 for a reason.

When you get on any motorcycle whether it be a 250 - 1000cc, you are the only person responsible for input as to how you ride. To keep things simple, take your time and really get to know your Ducati 899. Practice menuvering at low speeds, set up cones in a parking lot, etc. In addition, develop respect for your 899 and constantly remind yourself of the risks associated with riding any motorcycle. And yes, keep it in wet mode until you naturally develop synergy with your bike.

It is a natural process and as long as you apply these basic principles, there is nothing you should worry about. Enjoy it, and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Another way to put it—don't ride beyond your comfort level and keep a tame throttle hand.

·
Registered
113 Posts
hey marine just like basic training remember what you learned at the msf school, and as MustangWolf said do not ride beyond your comfort zone. wow calling you a marine was really hard. i really wanted to say jarhead, sandbag, bullet catcher. hehehe yea you guessed it I'm Army Infantry. =)

·
Registered
95 Posts
You will be fine. Ive come from a 14 year riding break from a VFR400 to the 899 and despite my worries this bike is very easy to ride. It doesnt really feel that big and you very quickly start to feel comfortable on it and just begin enjoying the ride.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Ace, the 899 is as tame as your right hand can manage... I feel that this bike has a soul, and it wants to keep its rider safe with a giant grin on their face!!! No doubt you'll be happy you got it :cool:

Reactions: acethe99
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.